Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

W.Somerset Maughan - Worth it?

Options
  • 17-03-2008 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

I just found a book containing 5 of Maughans books in it, and, given his fame, I was going to let him skip my book queue (am currently reading every single Arthur C. Clarke short story, next in line is Conan Doyle's).
    Should I?
    Is he a must-read?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

Of Human Bondage is well worth the time and effort. It's one of those books that everyone should read, but especially people in their late teens and early twenties (semi-autobiographical novel, similar to Portrait of the Artist, the Way of All Flesh etc).

He also wrote a huge amount of short stories set in the last years of British colonialism in the far east, which I remember as being fairly interesting but without the impact of "Of Human Bondage". Worth dipping into - there are always collections in print.

Not sure about the novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

The books in the collection are:

Cakes and Ale
    The Painted Veil
    Liza of Lambeth
    The Razor's Edge
    Theatre
    The Moon and Sixpence

Advertisement