Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gatso Van

Options
  • 18-03-2008 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    I think i got caught by a gatso van on the naas road yesterday.Just want to find out how long does it take to get a fine for speeding.
    Has anyone else got caught through the van on the naas road.I was doing around 80 in the 60 zone.

Please just answer the question and don't blab on about why was a speeding in the first place :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

drdre wrote: »
    Hi guys
    I think i got caught by a gatso van on the naas road yesterday.Just want to find out how long does it take to get a fine for speeding.
    Has anyone else got caught through the van on the naas road.I was doing around 80 in the 60 zone.

Please just answer the question and don't blab on about why was a speeding in the first place :)
    You were going slow, I think most cars do 100 on that stretch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Yeah, you're knicked. Expect a little envelope within 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Hi guys

3-6 weeks Dr dre,

and there always along there, you may be lucky and they could have gotten someone else instaed of you, if there was a few of ye at the same time on that stretch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

patrickc wrote: »
    3-6 weeks Dr dre,

and there always along there, you may be lucky and they could have gotten someone else instaed of you, if there was a few of ye at the same time on that stretch

I hope they got someone else, Anyway i will wait 1 month and if i don't recieve anything then i will be be relieved.

I don't go around the naas road much so forgot all about the gatso van

I hope they got someone else, Anyway i will wait 1 month and if i don't recieve anything then i will be be relieved.

I don't go around the naas road much so forgot all about the gatso van

where they at coke as ever?

yeh with any luck, stupid speed limit on a good road IMO

• Advertisement

They were outside mcdonalds going towards the red cow roundabout.
    Its really a stupid speed limit,In my opinion.Same as the 60 on some parts of the N11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Its really a stupid speed limit,In my opinion.Same as the 60 on some parts of the N11

if its any consulation, i was done there a while back - not buy a gatso tho' - a garda corp lancruiser and its was about 12.20am on a sat morning- i was going hard.........they caught up with me out past citywest.
    ohhhh, the pain.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

There was a van parked approaching the Red Cow Roundabout, just before the Mc Donalds going west. I was above the limit, but not by much, maybe about 70kmph in a 60 zone. There was a car at just the right angle in front of me to block my reg though so hopefully I'll stay on 0 points :)

Why do the fixed gatso (like past the tallaght exit northbound on the m50) need the little stripes on the road and the vans don't?

never saw them that side, may look out so..
    if its any consulation, i was done there a while back - not buy a gatso tho' - a garda corp lancruiser and its was about 12.20am on a sat morning- i was going hard.........they caught up with me out past citywest.
    ohhhh, the pain.:(

you musta been for them to catch up with you way out there, ah at least you got a run out of it ;)

cormie wrote: »
    There was a van parked approaching the Red Cow Roundabout, just before the Mc Donalds going west. I was above the limit, but not by much, maybe about 70kmph in a 60 zone. There was a car at just the right angle in front of me to block my reg though so hopefully I'll stay on 0 points :)

Why do the fixed gatso (like past the tallaght exit northbound on the m50) need the little stripes on the road and the vans don't?

same as the camera inbound towards heuston station, not sure of the name of the road, but it has no markings on the road..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

never saw them that side, may look out so..

you musta been for them to catch up with you way out there, ah at least you got a run out of it ;)

yeah, the copper was ok about it - very jovial to be honest. I did see them coming behind me tho' from around after the ex-renault truck garage as i knew it was them cos i could see the blue light on the roof of their landcruiser in my rear view mirror but they did'nt have the flashers on - so i took it down to the legal...and hoped for the best.

But then, they threw on the lights.. (and i went "bugger").......and they pulled me over.
    I never saw them in at the red cow - not at all.
    Ahhhhh, well - my cheque book is ready........

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That limit is anything but stupid. There are 2 sets of pedestrian lights further down the road (one before each of the next 2 junctions, where I have seen (and I dont be down that section all that often) plenty of cars sailing through red lights, while most likely looking on to the junction just beyond. There have been a few pedestrians knocked down at the lights over the years.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

same as the camera inbound towards heuston station, not sure of the name of the road, but it has no markings on the road..

That one is an "amber gambler". Break a red light and you will get flashed! Gatso's use Radar so, they know how fast your are moving towards them. Other speed camera (m50 etc) base your speed on the movement over the white lines. Being honest, the white lines give away some of the cameras. If they were all "gatso" type, alot more people would be caught. The amount of people I see brakeing hard the moment they see the white lines. Whilst with a gatso, you never know whats in the post.

I was driving up by the red cow last night and there was a patrol car sitting in just before one of the car garages (cant remember the name). Normally I would be going up around 80Kph from the stretch after the traffic lights, but on the way down the other side, I had seen blue lights. Phew!

BTW, sorry to hear that Dre. Hopefully you got away with it (assuming you were actually only doing 80Kph ;))

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

cormie wrote: »

The stripes are for evidence if it goes to court.

The Guards word is the evidence in the gatso van.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thats a red-light camera not a speed camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

There were also two guards on a bike sitting between the red cow and fbd with a hand held gun yesterday evening near 6pm. Went by them at 70 in a 60 zone but didnt get a wink out of them. Saw them at the last minute and braked. Am i okay do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

RedorDead wrote: »
    There were also two guards on a bike sitting between the red cow and fbd with a hand held gun yesterday evening near 6pm. Went by them at 70 in a 60 zone but didnt get a wink out of them. Saw them at the last minute and braked. Am i okay do you think?

No expert, but I'd guess they were looking for more blatent speeders (70 - 80 +) there' s enough of them about to keep them busy - 10ks over is very easy for anyone to do without realising, specially on a good road, there's toss all difference in 10k on my ancient speedo almost need a magnifying glass to read the ks on it. But by other accounts posted here in the past some sticklers will do you for less.

I hope i get away with it, I have German style plates on my car so hope they get confused about it :)

antodeco wrote: »
    That one is an "amber gambler". Break a red light and you will get flashed!
    MYOB wrote: »
    Thats a red-light camera not a speed camera.

cheers, never knew that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I hope i get away with it, I have German style plates on my car so hope they get confused about it :)

Careful you don't get done for having illegal plates also Dre. There's only 1 style of plates that's legal and it's this !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Geez , Your well up on the points ladder, Hopefully Dustin will do as well as you!!
    Seriously though you may be lucky...I know i have :)... Well i don't really have to worry about GATSO
    Vans anymore ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

A frien of mine register his car to a different address, so he misses out on these speeding tickets.

He doesnt even drive that fast but just uses this as a way to get around it.

Ya i know its wrong blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

yayamark wrote: »
    A frien of mine register his car to a different address, so he misses out on these speeding tickets.

He doesnt even drive that fast but just uses this as a way to get around it.

Ya i know its wrong blah blah.

Only way to avoid points is foreign licence or * i ain't postin here *;) .. Fair play to your mate and i hope he blags it but i've a feeling he'll get his points at some stage.

Having said that I've dodged 2 potential poins via an adress move??? Possibly

doing 83 in a 60 (Death Defying :rolleyes:) pulled in and old adress on my provisional at the time ( a few yearsback) Never heard anything since, even been to cop shop to produce insurance

Careful you don't get done for having illegal plates also Dre. There's only 1 style of plates that's legal and it's this !
    Yep, I am careful.MANY guards have seen my plates and only 1 guard pulled me over to say how interesting they were.But he did also mention that if some strict guard pulled me there could be a fine.I know the risk but most guards just look and smile.

reminds me of the time i was stopped for doing a bit over the linit and that garda let me off cos he liked the standard orange lights on the side of my volvo:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

German style plates?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Yep, I am careful.MANY guards have seen my plates and only 1 guard pulled me over to say how interesting they were.But he did also mention that if some strict guard pulled me there could be a fine.I know the risk but most guards just look and smile.

If they let you away with it then it's safe to say that the cameras can read them ok.
    You will fail an NCT test with non-standard plates though !

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

bigkev49 wrote: »
    German style plates?

DIN font. Very similar to ours except barred 7s and a niche taken out of the 0 basically. Can look slightly more like they fit in on a German-made car, but I'm not sure its worth the hassle myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

According to the link you provided, I can't see anywhere stating the font used on German plates are illegal ? In fact I would go as far to say, that if you walked out into a carpark, no car has the exact same font, even though they are so called "legal" plates.

so in other words - I'd say Dr.Dre is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

No other numbers, letters or marks etc, should appear on the plate.
    We dont use emission test and vehicle safety test stickers in these here parts .

Advertisement