Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An LCD Virgin :D:D

• 18-03-2008 4:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

ok guys im sure your sick of being asked this but im wondering could ya tell me whats the best tv for playing the xbox 360 on . My Budget is €700. I was looking at the Sony Bravio 32300. What do ye think? Would i get 1080p (or what ever is the best, dont know much about tvs)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

yes we are sick of it.

go ask the the ps3 fanboys! :):):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

You aren't going to get a good 1080p TV for €700 I'm afraid, I'd recommend a 32" Samsung.
    AFAIK the Bravio 32T300 (I guess this is the one you mean?) doesn't do 1080p either. If you are looking at a 32" then you aren't likely to notice the difference between 720p and 1080p anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Yeah theres a couple of great prices on 32" LCDs on Komplett. You would get change from your €700.

I Have the 2nd tv its at a nice price i bought it around a year ago for 1300!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Ouch.

Im still paying for it on drip only about 3 payments left. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,157 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

That samsung from laptops direct is a great price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

is it possible to get them from currys?? i work in pc world & get 10% staff discount in Currys/PC world/Dixions. also want to get insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Mate. If you have contents insurance already, forget about taking out extra. It's a total waste, apart from commission to the sales assistant.

I'll check out Curry's TVs and give you a shout back.

Meant to say as well, that unless you're getting a 50" + TV you won't really get any benefit from 1080p. 760p/1080i is fine for most consoles.

• Advertisement

so will house contents insurance cover against acciidental damage etc?? ..ok cool,so i may try & get 1080i then , Cheers:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I Have the 2nd tv its at a nice price i bought it around a year ago for 1300!!!!!!!

Would recommend this TV too, especially at that price.

Bought the same model 14 months ago for e1,200 from the very same site:(
    Brilliant TV for gaming and a bargain as Royale pointed out.

Well at least I feel better seeing nevaeh-2die-4 price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

i have a samsung hdtv for sale,14months old ,32inch HDCRT , FANTASTIC picture ,on xbox 360 ,sdtv,skytv, ntl.in perfect working order, with the receipt from dixons, see my ad on adverts.ie general swap.samsung tv, dublin.price 400euro, .
    ROBERT heron from dltv, hdtv expert ziff davis, says best HD PICTURE,COLOR,CONTRAST, deep black is in order, of preference ,the best is HDcrtTV, THAN , plasma, lastly lcds ,lcd has problems with motion blur,and not so good blacks.,pm me if you are interested.i,m just selling cos i wanna get a good gaming pc.get a good brand like samsung ,or panasonic 32ich tv.i have found this tv to be rock,solid in all modes,hd and very warm natural,colors, with deep blacks, also excellent for sdtv/ntl.
    i seen the 360 on an lcd, its just not as good as plasma,or hdcrt, but i understand ,lcds are certainly cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

robdcu wrote: »
    oWould i get 1080p (or what ever is the best, dont know much about

A few 32 inch TVs accept a 1080P signal, but scale it down. 32 inch TVs that actually display a 1080P picture are still fairly uncommon.

Some people will swear blind that they can spot a 1080P picture on a TV less than 50 inches in size. Others say it's impossible to tell on anything less than 50 inches. It's somewhat inconclusive.

Toshiba's LCDs generally have a good reputation. Particularly for standard definition TV, which is where a lot of LCD TVs fall down. Do some research on specific models before you commit cash, but i think they're your best bet of the brands you mentioned.

Sony are slightly hit and miss for "Lower end" (anything less than a 3K tv)
    models. I'm not convinced they represent the best value for money.

Samsung are a little bit hit and miss. Minor niggles like a noisy backlight aren't uncommon.

LG don't have a great reputation. I'd suggest you give them a wide berth.

Argos may not be the best place to go TV shopping. Last time i looked their prices were a bit steep. So if you appear to be getting a good deal on something, it may be as a result of the it being a little older.

LCD TVs date quickly, but you may want to avoid one that's been replaced by a new model before you even get it home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

BASICALLY games on xbox360 r designed for 720p mode,for fast fps,frames persecond ,unless you have a blueray player or skymovies ,SKY HD , i wouldnt be bothered about 1080i,if you r a film fanatic in hd ,than you,ll probably have a 42inch tv.

would a blu ray player be good with 720p ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

would a blu ray player be good with 720p

When it comes to HD , the biggest difference comes from when you jump from SD to the first HD resolution , which is basically 720p , so yes , you it would be good , even on a 32inch , there is a huge difference.

After that , the next resolution up is 1080i / 1080p , it doesnt matter whether its i or p when it comes to 1080 , as the electronics in the set convert it to p either way. p means progressive , and all flat panels that you can buy here show progressive , for 1080 , you need a much bigger TV than a 32 inch if your going to notice it , otherwise it will look exactly the same as 720p.

And by the way , Xanthor is right , LG are not great , avoid them , Sony are trading on the reputation when it comes to TV's , and that reputation was gained with old CRT's not flat screens , their flat screens are far from the best , only slightly better than LG in my opinion ,

for a budget model go with Toshiba or Samsung , for a non budget model , Panasonic are the best by far ,

In any case , see the set in a shop first , and ask to see some standard definition football on it , if the set is any use , the football will be fine , if not , its almost unwatchable. If they wont do this for you , then dont buy it.
    Dont worry about seeing HD on it , they all do that pretty well , its the SD thats the problem , bad sets have lots of blur , and watching football , as soon as the ball is kicked it will disappear on a bad set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

i bought a 26" hd telly from argos for 449 last year and it has 1080p. ( think that, or i)

And jsut wondering whats the best setting to have on it for xbox, i have it at 1080 at the moment and looks fine and dandy, just wondering if i scale it to 720 would it be any better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭IamBeowulf

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Panasonic_32_Inch_HD_Ready_LCD_TV_,_With_Universal_3_Shelf_LCD_Stand_BUN-TX-32LXD69A-1693/version.asp

Long link I know:)
    It's to a Panasonic TV---which, to my mind, are far superior to the other models listed.

I say go for it. Check out those sexy specs!

Advertisement