Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Breaking Red Lights

Options
  • 18-03-2008 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭

I was talking to someone in work and they said its an unwritten rule that you can break red lights when driving middle of the night or 1st thing in the morning (before 7am).

When I mean red lights I mean the red lights on small roads on to main roads where the red light stays red for ages and if there is no cars coming its ok to break.

I was like :eek: 1st time I heard of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

I bet the gardai wouldn't agree with it if they were behind you when you did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Trampas wrote: »
    I was talking to someone in work and they said its an unwritten rule that you can break red lights when driving middle of the night or 1st thing in the morning (before 7am).
    Also, the word 'gullible' is missing from all dictionaries.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Try it and let us know how you get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

When I mean red lights I mean the red lights on small roads on to main roads where the red light stays red for ages and if there is no cars coming its ok to break.

The same guy is probably telling you that you are not required to have third party insurance and tax if you are travelling less than mile from your place of residence. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

It's crazy, but I've seen people do it at those hours. So stupid - even if it looks like it's clear I'd never go through - a red light is a red light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thank you for cheering me up with this amusing story.
    Much needed this morning

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Worthy of a darwin award methinks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

star-pants wrote: »
    It's crazy, but I've seen people do it at those hours. So stupid - even if it looks like it's clear I'd never go through - a red light is a red light.
    I'd run a red light if, and only if, I was sure: a.) That it was completely safe to do so, and b.) That the likelihood of my getting caught was extremely small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Did he have gick in the corner of his mouth and spit when he talked?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Gegerty wrote: »
    Did he have gick in the corner of his mouth and spit when he talked?

A taxi driver?!:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Was only ever in one car that pulled that stunt. It was a taxi at 3:30am. I questioned him on it saying "eh you know that is red yeah?" his response was "Ah sure it'll be alright nobody around". I said "no problem, tell you what do it again i won't pay, your supposed to get me home safely". He promptly fu*ked me out of the cab. Granted joke was on him, he did it a ten min walk away from my house.

Back on thread, let me know how your mate gets on cause he is CRAZY!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I don't see a problem with it. More like 4 to 6 though. Graveyard shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

While not directly connected to this thread, my understanding is that if you cross a traffic light on amber you must be out of the intersection before the lights turn red. That leads to the interesting situation that the lights turn amber just as you arrive but don't have time to stop safely. If traffic on the exit, or even the distance of the exit, means that the lights are then red, you are guilty of an offence. A great idea that I saw in Egypt some time ago was a countdown timer on all of the traffic lights. When the lights were green the panel showed in red the seconds to red. When in red they showed in green the time to change. That avoided people running the amber.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ART6 wrote: »
    While not directly connected to this thread, my understanding is that if you cross a traffic light on amber you must be out of the intersection before the lights turn red. That leads to the interesting situation that the lights turn amber just as you arrive but don't have time to stop safely. If traffic on the exit, or even the distance of the exit, means that the lights are then red, you are guilty of an offence. A great idea that I saw in Egypt some time ago was a countdown timer on all of the traffic lights. When the lights were green the panel showed in red the seconds to red. When in red they showed in green the time to change. That avoided people running the amber.
    As far as I know if you enter and then are caught in the middle of a junction/turn as the lights go red then you control that junction and other vehicles must yield to you until you clear it.

(Whether they will or not is another matter of course!)

Advertisement