Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"oh in ohio" - sterotypes??

Options
  • 18-03-2008 10:40am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,600 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Ladies, i feel a terrible injustice has been done.

i like parker posey. She is cute, although i shouldnt find her attractive and she can give a convincing performance.

so i watched this movie last nite where she is married to that guy in friends (cant believe i said that) who married phoebe.

And she suffers from s€xual dysfunction, so he leaves her and has it off with one of his (very) hot students. In the meantime she discovers the joys of toys and sleeps with every man in her town.

When her husband discovers the err of his ways (the student is going to college in a different state so will be leaving him) he tries to win his wife back but its too late cos shes already having it off with danny devito and quite frankly, shes loving it cos hes the only man who has been fit for the job!

So in summary the film makes some subtle stereotypes:

Successful women dont make for good lovers
    Women who make good lovers jeopardise their careers
    When a husband and a wife have issues, only the man can really suffer in the long term because ultimately, men are selfish.
    The ugly guy is not marriage material but are great lovers.
    Swimming pools are cool

id like to think im no danny devito but im sure many ladies dont think im as hot as tallaght01. Should i get a swimming pool??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Wow, maaaaaajor *Tumbleweed* :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,600 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Maybe the movie was right! :(

Im off to buy a vibrator so! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

One movie does not a stereotype make.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,600 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

No it doesnt, but for the purpose and context of the film it did.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

The only wild stereotyping I'm getting from this is men make stupid film choices.

Good luck with the next one, though.

• Advertisement

now now silverfish, no meanness! I didnt pick the film! ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The real message here is that you need to get out more and stop watching rubbish films faceman ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

You bring shame on that moniker faceman. :D

I earned my nickname!

*sigh* those were the days!!

Advertisement