Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordering Benefit Cosmetics

Options
  • 18-03-2008 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

hi girls... was wondering if you can help me. Is there any way of buying Benefit Cosmetics from the states and avoiding the customs. or is it still worth it even when the customs fee needs to be paid. I heard somewhere that if you request the invoice to be placed inside the box then you can avoid paying the customs fee. is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I've never ordered from them myself but have seen posts on beaut.ie where ppl have said that its not worth it as they have got stung every time by customs:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Poppers1888

I ordered and just ordered about 70 dollars worth of stuff and didnt get any costoms charges, think you have to go over €70 euro or something to get charged

Poppers you were seriously lucky!!! I think you only have to order over something tiny like €20 to get charged. An post also charge you €5 administration fee.

Actually I just checked on revenue.ie and the limit is €22

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I ordered and just ordered about 70 dollars worth of stuff and didnt get any costoms charges, think you have to go over €70 euro or something to get charged
    I ordered from strawberrynet recently and got caught. They listed the value of the items at €61 (far less than the actual cost) and had to pay 21%. I still saved alot of money compared to buying them in a dept store as strawberrynet is very cheap, they give good discounts and p&p is free.

Just make sure that the cost of the cosmetics plus p&p plus any possible taxes still make it cheaper than buying in a dept store.

Strawberry net will refund you what customs charged you if you send them a copy of the invoice!! Just contact Kitty Wong and she'll sort it out for you;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

slaps wrist....

If you import stuff you should pay the customs charges... tis the law.

DIscuss away on weather its worth ordering with the customs charges but any further non payment or avoiding payment discussion and peoples will be banned and permanently slapped!

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭smiler26

Benefit have a UK website now..... customs legally avoided! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

smiler26 wrote: »
    Benefit have a UK website now..... customs legally avoided! :D

Yippee! Linky by any chance? I can't find the UK site! Have my credit card ready :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Uk site just as expensive as department stores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭smiler26

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

So much for free trade eh? Tis nonsense havin to pay all these frikkin taxes for things..

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pampers1

Except the UK Website doesn't deliver to Ireland for some really strange bizarre reason. and it is as expensive as the department stores in Dublin :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Student_2405

Girls I must be really lucky - I order from benefitcosmetics.com all the time & have never once got caught for customs charges. I never knew there was a limit of €22 applicable. It must be a case then of random parcel checks.

What about buying from ebay? Once you make sure to check out the seller feedback & that the products are in good condition, you can get great deals from US buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Note of interest

Live rates at 2008.04.21 13:10:07 UTC
    €22.00 EUR = $35.0277 USD

If you order from the US and order only 1 item such as benetint at $28. The cost including shipping to Ireland is as follows:

Items:$28.00
    Shipping & Handling: $7.48
    Total Before Tax:$35.48
    Estimated Tax:$0.00

Order Total: $35.48

Therefore if you order single items only you will qualify for the following:

Packages, other than those containing tobacco or tobacco products, alcoholic products, perfumes or toilet waters with a value of €22 regardless of status (for private or commercial use) are admitted free of customs duty and VAT under the scheme commonly known as "small packages" relief.

That's a more than €10 saving on prices here.

The trick it seems is to only ever order 1 item at a time of no higher value than $28 allowing for shipping costs of a single item $7.48. I may be keeping the postman busy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Bluebells

I got caught with custom charges from the benefit website :( Price wise it didnt work out too well, even with a free gift. I even had to trapse up to sandford industrial estate to collect the bloody thing!

Advertisement