Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to level up quick!

• 18-03-2008 11:04am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How do all? Got COD4 a couple of weeks ago and am loving it, but I'm keen to get leveled up quickly and unlock all the magic things (that said, an M60 with red dot sight is serving me quite well atm :D). Playing Headquarters seems to be the way to go, but anyone have any tips and tricks as to how one might level up any quicker?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

headquarters is good but can be a bum online,

this is me on xbox talking btw

i find search and destroy and HQ a good way to go, usually earning 800-900 a game, search and destory is a good average 600xp for a ten min game

getting red dot sights on all guns is easy and gets fast xp.

just play the game and you will level up nicely :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Just play.... Doesnt really take that long tbh. Im a complete noob (to cod4 and games in general) and ive levelled up to 55 on 3 different profiles since i got the game a few weeks ago....

I don't see the big deal, it's not that hard, and the stuff you get isn't all that great. Most of the good perks are there by default, and if you've a favourite weapon, you'll have all the sights for it within a few games.

I think the perk system is all backwards, they should take stuff away from you as you move up. I wouldn't have a problem with guys at lvl1 or 2 or whatever using martydom or noobtubes (some times its the only way they can get kills), but the really cheap/lame stuff (P90, noobtube, martydom etc) should be taken away as soon as you've learned the ropes and gotten the hang of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭JavaBear

That's a good idea voodoo, too bad they didn't do ti like that. I just installed the game again. On rank 8 or something :p There are a lot of 55 rank ppl who still can't play the game at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

50 man ffa on shipment 24/7 servers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

whats a noobtube ?

• Advertisement

kaimera wrote: »
    50 man ffa on shipment 24/7 servers.

haha ya thats class... gets boring after a while tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭ToughyIRE

just get good

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's not that I'm finding it hard going, I'm just keen to try out all the toys and I'm really sick of not having enough grenades to go along with my martyrdom :p

FFA on small levels also helps :)

I'm gaining a level or 2 almost every time I sit down to play, so no panic, I was just curious as to what people recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Learn the levels. I found that having a decent ping makes a huge difference in this game. Once the pings go bad I have to revert to the noob weapons and tricks. With good pings, all you need is the M4 carbine, fast rate of fire, and know the levels a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

NeVeR wrote: »
    whats a noobtube ?
    Its the grenade launcher attachment for some of the rifles. Using it is looked down upon by most players because it's way too cheap/easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

JavaBear wrote: »
    There are a lot of 55 rank ppl who still can't play the game at all.

You sure about that? I'm level 55 but have gotten very bored so when I play FFA games now I do things like trying to make sure that every kill I get is melee (knife) only with no camping. That means that quite often I get taken out just running around finding people to knife.

I'm playing the game my way. ;)

On occasion, I'll revert to my normal style and own the map (or get owned :)) before returning to my own little made-up challenges in the next game.

A few night ago, I spent four games just killing people using suicide grenade attacks :) [to do this when you spot someone pull the grenade pin but don't release it, just run towards them and if you time it right the grenade will explode as you are on top of them, taking them with you] :)

Just because they aren't playing the game the way you expect, doesn't mean they can't play the game. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I think anyone can "play" the game, just some take it more seriously than others. Nothing wrong running around like a headless chicken if that's what pleases you.

I totally agree with that statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Completely agree, when compared with my clanmates, I am one of them :p:D .

Also Boston B mentioned pings, while it is true that it is easier to play on a low ping server, its not hte be all and end all. I quite frequently play on servers where a ping of up to 200ms and for the most part it does not bother me.

^ Yes but you lag for everyone else.

ToughyIRE wrote: »
    ^ Yes but you lag for everyone else.

Only if anti lag is on .

Only if anti lag is on .

What does that do.

I say anti lag, but perhaps I mean lost packets. You know someone can have a cup of tea while you empty a P90 into them, and then they kill you with a spoon. Your already dead but you still think your shooting at them etc.

Its the grenade launcher attachment for some of the rifles. Using it is looked down upon by most players because it's way too cheap/easy.

ah i see. I'm lvl 55 i dont use it tho.. 3 frags.. and all bullet damage for me. :)

NeVeR wrote: »
    ah i see. I'm lvl 55 i dont use it tho.. 3 frags.. and all bullet damage for me. :)

Noobs don't have those perks. So they use Launcher.

BostonB wrote: »
    What does that do.

I say anti lag, but perhaps I mean lost packets. You know someone can have a cup of tea while you empty a P90 into them, and then they kill you with a spoon. Your already dead but you still think your shooting at them etc.

Anit lag is a server side setting. It is an attempt to even out lag.

• Advertisement

3 nade perk is horrible

But having only 1 makes for teh suck! Should have an option to replace your speshul nade for a frag.

Was just arsing about on FFA games and took the weapons I almost never use for quick and easy 100 XPs when getting headshots etc. Wetwork with 30 ppl on FFA = WAY too many spawn kills until someone with Martyrdom dies and clears a spawn point out. I'm surprised there aren't random respawns on maps for that - spawn camping muppets are a pain in the arse.

Dinged up to 1st Lieutenant though, so no worries :D

Its probably more of a problem of inconsistent pings, but I get booted a good bit from servers, or can't join because of high pings. So if you can join and play your pings probably aren't that bad.

You notice it subtle ways. You empty a Barrett into someone whos not moving. They finally notice you and kill you with a AK47 with shot or two. Or you do really bad Max Payne impressions when you get the drop on people, and they move like superman on speed. On a good day when you a good connection, its reversed. Thats my experience anyway.

QFT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

ToughyIRE wrote: »
    QFT
    Once not enough, no?

Why do people assume that everyone they play whose rank says 'Level 55' is actually the person who achieved that rank? :confused:

When I have friends or visitors staying with me I let them play on my level 55 account. These are people who have for the most part never played the game before or at least very infrequently (any time they are over at mine).

I've kicked the ass of people who are supposedly at Prestige 10, level 55 but I'm not stupid enough to think that I'm actually playing that guy, perhaps it's his girlfriend, brother, mother, father? Who knows? rolleyes.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I'm actually quite sick of people who go on about 'noob's and all that crap, it's gaming snobbery at the highest level. If these people are killing you with grenade launchers or multiple grenades, try playing a bit better so you're not a sitting duck or go back to the books which may help your spelling and grammar which is quite awful around these parts, tut, kids these days :cool:
    If they want to use these perks, and they're perfectly entitled too, let them and stop whinging like little bitches.

From an oul lad with 20 years gaming under his belt.

Have to agree with this! ^^^

EDIT: Oh and I also have 20+ years of gaming under my belt :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

He couldn't be more right, stop your whinging!

• Advertisement

But in fairness, there is nothing more frustrating than getting killed by some random grenade chuckery or martyrdom when you're on a decent streak :)

Advertisement