Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hazard lights while reversing around the corner?

Options
  • 18-03-2008 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I just have a quick question as i have my test in 3 days time, My instructor told me to stick on hazard lights when reversing around the corner but i haven't read that anywhere else on the forum. can anybody please confirm what's the correct procedure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Never heard of that before myself and wasn't told to do so in my pre tests. I'd say the reversing light should be enough of an indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

you dont need hazard lights when doin so
    i did my test 2 weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It's amazing what some instructors are telling people. Don't put on your hazard lights and don't put on your indicator either. People will see yourreversing lights on at the back of the car and that's all they need to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

Still little bit confused but thanks for all the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

No reason to be confused, you dont need to put them on
    you ll be doin your test with someone else anyway not him.

what you can do is maybe try a different instructor, i found this to be very useful when preparing for my test cos some are just too nice about it, some are way too mean about it but your goin to get different point of views which is a good thing

anyway i passed mine and i didnt put them on ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sbhatia wrote: »
    My instructor told me to stick on hazard lights when reversing around the corner
    Complete and utter rubbish! You may need a new instructor.

*shakes head*

Hazard lights should only be used on a stationary vehicle.
    cormie wrote: »
    I'd say the reversing light should be enough of an indicator.
    People will see yourreversing lights on at the back of the car and that's all they need to see.
    Reverse lights are not a statutory requirement, therefore it cannot be assumed that all vehicles are fitted with them or that they are working.

What other motorists see is not really relevant as a reversing vehicle has no right of way and must give way to all other vehicle from all directions. For that reason indicators are not required either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Reverse lights are not a statutory requirement, therefore it cannot be assumed that all vehicles are fitted with them or that they are working.

What other motorists see is not really relevant as a reversing vehicle has no right of way and must give way to all other vehicle from all directions. For that reason indicators are not required either.

+1. FWIW I was told to use my indicator by my instructor which I did and I passed the test. I don't think examiners will mark you down for using/not using indicators on the RAC. I would be surprised if you didn't at least get a grade 1 fault for using the hazards inappropriately.

Thanks very much for all the replies guys, i won't be using Hazard lights now. Thanks again for making it all clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

WTF!
    No - don't use them if you are being a hazard you should not be reversing around the corner. If only there was a regulator to report this cowboy to.....

Goodluck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I thought you used your indicator? I did anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

sbhatia wrote: »
    I just have a quick question as i have my test in 3 days time, My instructor told me to stick on hazard lights when reversing around the corner but i haven't read that anywhere else on the forum. can anybody please confirm what's the correct procedure?
    OMG :eek: I've heard some terrible driving test advice over the last couple of years but this must be among the worst!

Do not use your hazard lights when reversing around a corner that is just so lame. It is adequate to signal left when pulling over to do the maneuvre and then leave the left indicator on until either you complete the maneuvre and want to rejoin the carraigeway (thus signalling right) or the signal is knocked off automatically. I would recommend that you change instructor.

Passed mine test today and didn't use any hazard light and didn't get any marks for that either. thanks for all the advice guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Congratulations sbhatia! :)

Advertisement