Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance and selling privately

Options
  • 18-03-2008 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Quick question. I'm selling my car privately, but I'm due to collect my new one tomorrow. I'll be transferring insurance in the morning, which means the old one won't be insured. What's the best thing to do when people come to look at it and want to take it for a spin? Transfer my insurance back temporarily? Or should I insure myself fully on both until I sell the old one? What have others done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Best imo would be to insure the selling car temporarily during the sale. With Hib online you can insure another car for as short as an hour I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Does your own insurance cover strangers driving your car?? doubt it.

Most people are insured to drive other vehicles on their own policy, get them to bring their own policy details before you let them test-drive.

This stops the time wasters as well.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

stevec wrote: »

Most people are insured to drive other vehicles on their own policy, get them to bring their own policy details before you let them test-drive.

True, but I thought that the car you were driving had to be insured by someone else. I could be wrong though (and have been many times :))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

bogmanfan wrote: »
    True, but I thought that the car you were driving had to be insured by someone else. I could be wrong though (and have been many times :))

Correct on this one. If someone wants to drive your car their insurance must cover them as well as the car itself being insured already by someone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I think this is urban myth.

Legally, the car must have a valid insurance disc - if I put my own disc on someone elses (un-insured) car, then its technically road legal.

If I drive someone elses (insured, but not for other drivers) car on my own insurance then technically the disc is not valid as the policy# / insurer are not correct.

I could also be completely wrong:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Most insurers (Hib & Quinn at least) will automatically insure the new driver if he has permission to drive the other car and a full licence.
    The car must have insurance to start with (I'm only 90% on this but it makes sense).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

...Legally, the car must have a valid insurance disc - if I put my own disc on someone elses (un-insured) car, then its technically road legal.

If I drive someone elses (insured, but not for other drivers) car on my own insurance then technically the disc is not valid as the policy# / insurer are not correct.

I could also be completely wrong:).

Yep. Completely wrong :D

Yep. Completely wrong :D

Because??????

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Legally, the car must have a valid insurance disc - if I put my own disc on someone elses (un-insured) car, then its technically road legal.

The disc isn't relevant. Transfer of cover is.

To drive an otherwise uninsured car you'd need to transfer your cover onto the other vehicle, leaving your own car uninsured.

Your 2nd paragraph makes no sense.

Some insurers will extend cover to include a 2nd car for a short period, and others won't.

"Other cars extension" is included on some pllicies, but not all.

Cheers guys,
    just called up my insurance company. They said that I can temporarily transfer my insurance from the new car to the old one at any time, so problem solved.

• Advertisement

The disc isn't relevant. Transfer of cover is.
    I think the guards would disagree with you there.

e.g. you are driving your friends car.
    His insurance doesn't cover you because you are not named on the policy. Your own insurance covers you because it covers driving other cars.
    If you are involved in an accident, the insurance details displayed in the windscreen are nothing to with the insurance covering you to drive.
    To drive an otherwise uninsured car you'd need to transfer your cover onto the other vehicle, leaving your own car uninsured.

Disagree, the otherwise uninsured car becomes insured because you are covered for driving other cars.
    Your 2nd paragraph makes no sense.
    Explained above.

Cheers guys,
    just called up my insurance company. They said that I can temporarily transfer my insurance from the new car to the old one at any time, so problem solved.

Just remember that this only insures you to drive it.
    It doesn't insure a stranger to test-drive it.

Even if they have 'driving other cars' on their policy, if they have an accident while test driving, the car won't be covered as it will be TP only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Disagree, the otherwise uninsured car becomes insured because you are covered for driving

Sorry, but you are not correct on this one. Check with your insurance company. Covered for driving other cars means that you are covered in the event of a third party making a claim against you personally as the driver. It does not cover the owner of the car for any claims made against him or her. This is why insurance companies specify that there must be a valid insurance policy in place on the car you are driving.

Also, it only provides 3rd party cover, so you will not be covered for any damage to the car you are driving, including fire and theft, even if you have a comprehensive policy on your own car.

Absolutely, and anyone who wishes to drive it themselves will have to provide insurance details showing they are covered. Otherwise they can ride shotgun:D

Pete67 wrote: »
    This is why insurance companies specify that there must be a valid insurance policy in place on the car you are driving.

I've just dug out 3 insurance policies and there is no such specification.

Where are you getting this from?

Advertisement