Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Technical questions

Options
  • 18-03-2008 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

What sort of technical questions have you been asked before you started driving in your test? These are the questions about you car that you get after completing the theory part of the test.

Comments

Where does the coolant go?
    Where does the oil go?
    Turn on the fog lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

a new favourite of theirs (since nearly every car on the road has it) is where is the power steering fluid reservoir located.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Aimee_gleeson

New thing they are asking down here too is all about tyres

Tyre depth
    If tyre is worn on edge what do ya do
    How do ya know your tyre needs to be replaced
    And there is another q too but i can't rem :o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Make sure you know where the battery is too.

Also get comfortable with the actual opening (and more importantly closing) of the bonnet. The tester will be a bit uneasy if you don't appear to have checked the bonnet is securely shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

worn on edge?

get the wheels re-aligned and change tyre if severely worn.

how to know if a tyre needs replacing?

usually in the groove of a tyre there are raised bits of rubber that show the minimum thread depth. once the thread hit these you're on thin ice regardless if it's icy or not.

think those answers would suffice for the tyre questions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Cremo wrote: »
    worn on edge?

get the wheels re-aligned and change tyre if severely worn
    It could also indicate that the tyre is under-inflated. (if worn along both edges).

Worn along the centre may indicate that it is over-inflated.

Legal limit = 1.6mm across 75% of the tyre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Aimee_gleeson

Cremo wrote: »
    worn on edge?

get the wheels re-aligned and change tyre if severely worn.

how to know if a tyre needs replacing?

usually in the groove of a tyre there are raised bits of rubber that show the minimum thread depth. once the thread hit these you're on thin ice regardless if it's icy or not.

think those answers would suffice for the tyre questions?

Bingo thats exactly the 2 things they are looking for, for Q1, and the answer they want for Q2 along with tyre depth that wishbone said of 1.6mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 siobhcc

Was asked:
    How to check oil
    Where did engine coolant go and how to check
    What would I do if I ran out of windscreen washer fluid

Then how to switch on hazard lights, windscreen wipers and rear window de-mister.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

siobhcc wrote: »
    Was asked:
    How to check oil
    Where did engine coolant go and how to check
    What would I do if I ran out of windscreen washer fluid

Then how to switch on hazard lights, windscreen wipers and rear window de-mister.

I had to do the exact same but the tester made me actually take out the dipstick and pretend I was going to check it. I'd never done that on my instructor's car and thus couldn't get the dipstick back in.

Then he asked me where the power steering fluid goes. I said there was none, it was electric. He asked was I sure, I said yes, he asked again, and I repeated that it was electric and he smirked and shook his head.

Finally he asked me where the windscreen fluid went. I pointed at the reservoir and he looked at me strangely and shook his head again. I pointing at the right thing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 siobhcc

My examiner told me specifically not to touch anything as the engine had been running. I have also heard of people getting grade 1's for touching the engine.

Besides that you would never check your oil when the engine had been running and was warm as you wouldn't get an accurate result.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

ergonomics wrote: »
    I had to do the exact same but the tester made me actually take out the dipstick and pretend I was going to check it. I'd never done that on my instructor's car and thus couldn't get the dipstick back in.

He should have asked you how to check the engine for oil or to point out and describe how to use the dipstick.

He should not have requested you to actually touch anything in the engine bay.

Trust the driving instructor had a word with the supervisor, failing that sent a letter of complaint to Supervisor in Charge, Driver Testing Section, Ballina.

Advertisement