Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Prescription Glasses

Options
  • 18-03-2008 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Hi All - Last year I started to wear glasses while driving and watching TV, after told I was 'slightly short sighted'. A year on, my eyes have gotten really used to wearing the glasses driving especially at night and I now feel that I should invest in a pair of cycling eye glasses to wear when I cycle when it gets dark... so I don't have to wear my designer specs on the bike :P

I went to the shop where i got my original glasses but they have nothing in stock to try on, if I want them, I have to order them, pay 350 quid ...

I was thinking if I get something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Prescription-Ready-SPORTS-Sunglasses-4-Golf-Cycling_W0QQitemZ120232976129QQihZ002QQcategoryZ630QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would they fit them with lenses?

Does any of you use this type of sunglasses?

Cheers ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'd recommend going with contact lenses if at all possible... prescription sports glasses are very hard to come by at reasonable prices, and it's really hard (if not impossible!) to get lenses that wrap around and still have a prescription. Contacts can be pretty cheap these days, and are damn comfortable now... I use Day & Nights (that you sleep in and everything) and wouldn't go back to specs!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

They aren't prescription wrap arounds, they have a mini glasses on the inside. Look like a poor solution. Think I saw prescription Oakleys in Spec Savers on Henry St Dublin. Weren't ott expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Maybe you're right, but I fear I wouldn't get the use out of them, as I don't need the glasses when i work or when I got about my normal day, I only need them when I drive and cycle in the dark ... I guess I will have to think about it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I use daily disposable contacts, so just chuck them when I'm done. Works out at less than a euro a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Same as you, I'm slightly shortsighted, need them for the TV and was told I should wear them when driving. (I don't drive)

I don't have a problem cycling without them. (Obviously I have no idea of your prescription so this is probably completely irrelevant). I would have thought that the glasses are needed for driving because if traveling at a high speed, one needs to be able to have see ahead very clearly.

This may not apply to the speed you cycle at ...

Gav

• Advertisement

el tonto wrote: »
    I use daily disposable contacts, so just chuck them when I'm done. Works out at less than a euro a pair.
    YES!!! I was just reading about them just now, the 1 day acuvue! I will go to the shop get a few to try.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

YES!!! I was just reading about them just now, the 1 day acuvue! I will go to the shop get a few to try.

I use Focus Dailies, but the Accuve ones are quite similar, at least according to my optician.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

el tonto wrote: »

Daily disposables would be a good option, I tried these but my eyes didn't like them (I needed "toric" lenses" apparently).

I'm short-sighted (-2.25 & -2.75) and wear glasses on the bike no problem. I'm not looking forward to rain though...

for years I didn't bother with glasses on the bike at all and I was -1.25 and -2.25 at the time, so if you've just got a prescription you may find that you are OK without them..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Toric lenses are fairly uncommon, and used for people with Astygmasism (a 'cyl' value in their perscription).

The Focus Dailes are great, but I like the Acuvue more, they are just more comfortable in the eye -it's to do with the hydrogel they're made of

A comparison of both types

if you don't use them all the time, a few months supply will last ages!

When i was 5 till the age of 10 I wore glasses for astigmatism, but it got better and I never wore them again after that. I was in France at the time, so I would have gone to a Eye doctor there.

Last year in Ireland I am told I am slightly short sighted L 0.75, R 0.60 or something like that ... Maybe I am still atisgmat ...

I am confused ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

you can get Oakley Pro M frame with lenses i have had a pair for a good while now i got them directly from oakley all you need is your prescription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

If you go down the daily contacts, these guys are reliable and given the Euro - Dollar rate, probably the cheapest these days....

http://www.visiondirect.com/la/product/default.asp?pid=90817&catid=10048&atrx=dps-16&trxp1=122031

I've bought off them before with out any hassles.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=10422

I use these and highly recommend them. They take a insert which costs about 20 euro which you can bring to your optition to have 'Glazed' to your perscription. Just bring the insert when ever you get a new test. The different lens for different light conditions just push in or out. The yellow is amazing for dreary winter days - its like turning on the floodlights!

Its not cheap but the glasses give great protection from insects, debris etc and also look cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭boomdocker

glasses and bikes are not good bedfellows......

http://www.wellingtoneyeclinic.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Darondo

King Kelly wrote: »
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=10422

I use these and highly recommend them. They take a insert which costs about 20 euro which you can bring to your optition to have 'Glazed' to your perscription. Just bring the insert when ever you get a new test. The different lens for different light conditions just push in or out. The yellow is amazing for dreary winter days - its like turning on the floodlights!

Its not cheap but the glasses give great protection from insects, debris etc and also look cool.

I have a pair of these, and overall they're quite good. The inserts are kinda small though, and I found they're not great when you're looking over your shoulder as you end up having the rim of the insert in your line of sight. The interchangeable outer lenses are very good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Last year in Ireland I am told I am slightly short sighted L 0.75, R 0.60 or something like that

If Soft lenses and the resultant better sight makes a difference in terms of confidence then great, glasses are probably not worth the grief in the rain etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

I am short sighted and need glasses all day. I use wraparound glasses with a prescription insert. I found them in a fishing shop in Westport.
    Glasses cost €60 and the prescription the same. Three interchangeable lenses.
    Only problems I had over the winter was fogging up on very wet days.
    Cured by using Rainex window solution on the outer lens.
    Here's a link to them
    http://www.anglersworld.ie/product.asp?strPageHistory=category&numSearchStartRecord=0&strParents=118&CAT_ID=118&P_ID=988&btnProduct=More+Details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 30sumptin

Hi Caroline

I got a pair of Addidas sports frames almost two years ago. They are absolutely brilliant. http://www.adidas.com/Eyewear/hw07/content/catalogue/index.asp?strBrand_adidascom=performance&strCountry_adidascom=uk&strLanguage_adidascom=en
    The big deal is that you can fall and they wont dig into your head and yet wont break. They crumple!. They have special hinges on them and every thing comes apart and yet goes back together very sturdy. The look cool and sporty too. I find when cycling that they keep the wind out of my eyes. They are light because the optical part clips to the frame and then the shades bit clips on too. I think they are made of carbon fiber making them super-light. You get spare shaded segments too in a different colour. I have bashed mine several times, sat on them have have fun as I pretend to break them in front of other people and then like magic reassemble them. I also got at pair of regular spectacles thrown in and the whole lot set me back approx €260 from memory. I was pretty impressed with the service and they had a few models to try on. Its not usual that I would be so impressed with a purchase, but several of the crew on the boat also ended up getting them. I got them at O'Leary Opticians in the Blanchardstown Centre and I see online that they have a branch in Rathmines too. www.maireadoleary.com - the addidas website lists some other stockists. gluck...

PS im a -2.75 - so i really really need them
    Hi All - Last year I started to wear glasses while driving and watching TV, after told I was 'slightly short sighted'. A year on, my eyes have gotten really used to wearing the glasses driving especially at night and I now feel that I should invest in a pair of cycling eye glasses to wear when I cycle when it gets dark... so I don't have to wear my designer specs on the bike :P

I went to the shop where i got my original glasses but they have nothing in stock to try on, if I want them, I have to order them, pay 350 quid ...

I was thinking if I get something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Prescription-Ready-SPORTS-Sunglasses-4-Golf-Cycling_W0QQitemZ120232976129QQihZ002QQcategoryZ630QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would they fit them with lenses?

Does any of you use this type of sunglasses?

Cheers ;)

Advertisement