Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem Child!! advice please

• 18-03-2008 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Some advice would be great.

4 year old girl who has been trained for a long time now but all of a sudden she is wetting during the day again. I do believe it is for attention. She has a 19 month old sister but she gets loads of attention and no matter what i do nothing is working - also at night time she is soaked (pull ups) - does'nt drink for a couple of hours before bed. Were at the end of our nerves at this stage!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 jdf

Ignore her, just change her matter of factly and don't pass any comments about the wetting. Our young one was at the same crack a few months ago and it was all just looking for attention. We ignored it and after a few days she copped on and stopped it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Katzy

Cheers for that - i'll give it a go.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 jdf

good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

Have you taken her to her GP to rule out an infection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

deisemum wrote: »
    Have you taken her to her GP to rule out an infection?
    That is a possibility as well, if their is an infection the poor girl might not even feel or have much control over it coming. That possibility should be looked at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭xanthe

Agree about GP checking her out? Could be stress or change of routine? If she is in a creche, it'd be no harm talking to the carer there!! Just a thought

Hope you get it sorted soon :)

I meant to say earlier that I don't feel it's right to call her a problem child, it may be a problem that ye're having but it doesn't make her a problem child in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

At what stage of potty training is your younger child ?

Well she is acutally a problem child at the moment - wetting is just one issue of many.

constantly fighting with younger sister (ya i know everyone does this) but this is extreme - i mean she gets her as soon as i turn around trips her as soon as i turn my back, slap, kicks, pinches.
    She plays puck on me when i try to get her to Montessori in the morning from lying on the floor when i try to put her jacket on to running away from school as soon as the door opens and i'm like a spare prick running after her.
    Won't let her daddy even put on her shoes, coat, dress her anything put her to bed - i end up doing it all but saying all that i suppose SHE'S NOT SO BAD!!!

That's a frustrating phase so I wouldn't worry about it just grit your teeth and count to 10 :D

• Advertisement

count to 10 dont ya mean 10 times 1,000 and pull all my teeth out one by one......:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭poster

We had a simular problem, involve the child wit hthe things you do with the younger sibling. Set up a reward chart for her, this worked a treat with our little one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Sounds like a major case of sibling rivaly causing her to revert and be demanding on Mammy only like the new baby was.

How much prep work did you do for her before the new baby arrived ?

How much have you been praising her and getting her to be a big girl and rewarding her for big girl behaviour ?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I agree its jealousy gone wild. Shes getting your attention with all this isnt she? I have a boy with similar issues about his younger sister. To the point that he pushed her down the stairs.

Its hard, you might want to try spending more time with your daughter alone, doing stuff just the two of you. And no matter what goes on, what tantrums or wetting or whatever, never let her see you get riled. Because if you do, then she will know its working, shes getting your attention, even if its bad attention. I know with my son, seeing mammy in permanently cross mode makes him a lot worse, anyway. Its almost impossible not to be annoyed, but try to hide it if you can. :) Ive been known to quietly go into the hall, close the door peacefully and then silently scream and jump up and down. :D

She gets praised for everything - go out of my way to let her help me with the little things like getting the plates and stuff for the dinner table and cleaning around the house.

Telling her mummy and daddy love her very much and that she is a big girl and great at helping mummy and daddy and she has to show her sister how to be good etc.....

Advertisement