Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fed Up

Options
  • 18-03-2008 1:48pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

:mad:Sorry but this is going to be a rant: -

i am trying to rent out a room in my house. I spent most the weekend sitting in waiting for prospective roomies to turn up. Not one person has actually showed up. That is 16 people who never showed up in total (not all last weekend). I am so angry, i phoned and rang people the days they were supposed to turn up, and they confirmed they would be there.

I think you should be able to rate people on daft like on ebay, stating whether they turned up or were just complete time wasters

Anyway, that is my rant over, i have given up on renting a room now, I will just have to learn to be lonely and skint

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

That's weird. I find myself on the other side of things: going to view a place and there are another 30 people there at the same time, brought in like cattle... really annoys me. Of course, I've always looked for apartments, not rooms so I'm not sure if there's less demand... (I'd imagine not in Dublin at least).

Anyway, best of luck with renting the room out soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Todoquetengo

Hey, feel your pain, rented out rooms last month and lots of people didn't show up on the day but a good few did. I've found that it's best to show the room the day you put the ad up or even the day after. People want to come see it straight away and might get sorted already if you leave it for a few days. Bank hols weekends are prob not the best time to show it either. I wouldn't give up though try it again :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Hey, feel your pain, rented out rooms last month and lots of people didn't show up on the day but a good few did. I've found that it's best to show the room the day you put the ad up or even the day after. People want to come see it straight away and might get sorted already if you leave it for a few days. Bank hols weekends are prob not the best time to show it either. I wouldn't give up though try it again :D

thanks i am not trying again. I originally advertised it in Janaury, same thing no one turned up when they were supposed to, i missed an important family dinner one sunday afternoon because i was waiting in for 4 people who didnt have the common courtsey to turn up or to let me know they wouldnt be coming

People just have no manners or respect anymore, not that i would actually want to live with any one behaves in such a rude manner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Todoquetengo

Yeah I hate that too, some people have no manners, could at least text and say they couldn't make it. But you're right, they aren't the type of people you want to live with anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

irishbird wrote: »
    thanks i am not trying again. I originally advertised it in Janaury, same thing no one turned up when they were supposed to, i missed an important family dinner one sunday afternoon because i was waiting in for 4 people who didnt have the common courtsey to turn up or to let me know they wouldnt be coming

People just have no manners or respect anymore, not that i would actually want to live with any one behaves in such a rude manner

What kind of room are you renting out if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking for a double room at the moment which is why I came on here to have a look..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Mightn't have been the best weekend to try it TBH, amount of people that would have been hungover/decided to go to pub instead probably contributed to it. The rating thing is a good idea I think btw

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Are you sure the address is easy to find?, as someone thats rented for a long time, I'm very very surprised no-one's turned up unless they couldnt find the place or it's very highly priced and they had second thoughts.
    People need a place to live and if the price is right they will make an effort to turn up, this just doesn't sound right.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

What sort of area is it? Some people might scadaddle when they drive onto some estates. I know when I was looking for a place to stay in Dublin 2 years, I was totally unfamiliar with Dublin, being from down South. I went to one place on the Northside-the woman sounded nice enough on the phone, but when I got there the estate was pretty rough looking-there was a burnt out car, another car up on bricks, and a little scobie Dub who shouted "Wanker!" in through the open window of the car as I drove through the estate:D.

I didn't drive away though-did the tour of the house with the lady and everything, who was very nice (but who didn't live in the area in question)-and then got the hell away!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

You should try to rent to someone on boards.ie. That way, if they don't turn up you can use your mod connections to ban them.

Give more particulars, obviously not too specific, but for example the location, the size of the room, the rent, whether there are any restrictions (I saw an add to rent a room in a great area, very cheaply, the only condition being that no pork or bacon products were allowed into the house - needless to say it was a non runner).

Is it possible that the rent is too high, so people only contact you as a standby if they can't get the place they want?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

That's sh!tty. Personally, I've arranged to view 5 places tomorrow, all over the place, but if there's any chance I'm going to be less than 5 minutes early, they'll get a call. It really sucks to have to waste all your time and then have nobody turn up. Regardless of how hard a place is to find, if you're having difficulties you call for directions, right? A few years ago we had two rooms to rent out, we were lucky enough that we had a few people lined up for the same time each viewing and we were never stuck on our own twiddling our thumbs. I'm really sorry to hear you were so unlucky.

On the up-side, as other posters said, if they can't have the common (or not-so-common) courtesy to call you and let you know they're not coming as soon as they know themselves, then you're better off without them as housemates. Imagine what they'd be like with the rent and bills!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ciano6

What I used to do was tell everyone to come at the same time. It actually works out well for everyone, as it means that you only have one viewing, you can compare everyone easily, nobody is hanging around and they get to talk to fellow room-hunters and don't end up being strung along. It also gives them a realistic view of demand (or lack of it).
    I'm surprised you've had no-one though. It does suggest you're doing something wrong? Are you in a dodgy estate? Are you giving good directions? Do they speake de inglish? Is your neighbour killing them on the way up your path? Is your watch slow?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

You dont happen to live in an area that was getting petrol bombed yesterday?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

(I saw an add to rent a room in a great area, very cheaply, the only condition being that no pork or bacon products were allowed into the house - needless to say it was a non runner).

Why? Are you anti-semetic? Anti-muslim? Or just particularly fond of rasher sammiges?

:(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

MsFifers wrote: »
    Why? Are you anti-semetic? Anti-muslim? Or just particularly fond of rasher sammiges?

:(

Lets just say that a life without bacon is a life not worth living. But don't just take my word for it, see for example Link

Advertisement