Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unspoiled/cheap beach or island areas for backpacker in Thailand. Possible??

• 18-03-2008 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi,

I'm planning to travel through Thailand, Laos, southern China, Vietnam and Cambodia for three months this summer but I'm also interested in chillling out for a few days by the beach after I fly into Bangkok. Most info seems to be saying that the majority of beach areas in Thailand are full of hotels/ general over-development. Just wondering if anyone can reccommend somewhere I could stay in basic accomodation, relax and meet a few other backpackers for a week or so before heading north towards Laos and China??

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

notmeagain wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm planning to travel through Thailand, Laos, southern China, Vietnam and Cambodia for three months this summer but I'm also interested in chillling out for a few days by the beach after I fly into Bangkok. Most info seems to be saying that the majority of beach areas in Thailand are full of hotels/ general over-development. Just wondering if anyone can reccommend somewhere I could stay in basic accomodation, relax and meet a few other backpackers for a week or so before heading north towards Laos and China??

Thanks.

Hi. Though Koh Phangnan is home to the infamous Full Moon Party, there are parts of it, particularly in the north of the Island that are quiet. But not too quiet. Still a few people around but by no means busy. There are small resorts with kinda bungalow huts with nice restaurants etc. but there's definitely no high rise hotels if that's what you're worried about.

this is an example www.baanpanburi.com

I stayed in this before and it has everything, including peace and quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

notmeagain wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm planning to travel through Thailand, Laos, southern China, Vietnam and Cambodia for three months this summer but I'm also interested in chillling out for a few days by the beach after I fly into Bangkok.

That seems like a lot of places to go in just three months! I travelled through Thailand, Laos and Vietnam in about 10 weeks and tbh it felt pretty rushed. Laos just takes so long to get around (same with Cambodia from what I've heard) especially during rainy season when most of the roads are closed off and you have to travel by boat.

Koh Tao is a lovely island and a little more relaxed than Koh Phangan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 notmeagain

Cool, cheers, i'll do a bit of research on Koh Tao now.
    Hoping to make it about a 13 or 14 week trip....not gonna be too ambitious with China, just planning on visiting a a couple of places in the south like Nanning and Guangzhou but I would be open to cutting it out if I was falling behind time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Lil Miss MJ

Railay Beach...20mins boat ride from Ao Nang in Krabi Provience is a ral funky chillout peninsula!! Only accessibe by boat..sum Hotels on the Island but alot of cheap and cheepful accom... has all the typical thai fun from Buckets to late nite fire shows...Railay is a rock climbers heaven and also Monkey beacj is on the peninsula....(Monkeys just running round the beach after they cum down from the Jungle!!! Would highly recommend it..
    Phi Phi is an amazing Island..... but it is very developed at this stage and when we were the Last August Building work was a common site,,,, But if u havent been before not worth missing as its beauty is truely magical!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Railay and north of Koh Phangan pretty unspoilt...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

Thong Nai pan in the North of Ko Pha Ngan, brilliant place to chill out before the full moon party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Bottle Beach in the north of Ko Pha ngan, about 200 bungalows there so u can party on the beach if u want or stay up in the cliffs if u want peace and quiet. Even then its not kicking off every night. Only accessible by water and when we were there ( 4 yrs back ) there was only a boat leaving at 8am to get off the beach- kinda meant we got stuck there for over 2 wks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

i think youd be hard pushed enuf to find a completely unspoiled beach but im sure there will be quiet one.

AN ABSOLUTE MUST is Vang vieng in Laos, i had the amazing experieinc wen i was 12 and then 14 and will defo be returning in the nxt few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Koh Tao, no question. Spent two weeks there a no of years back doing my full diving coarse. Probably the most chillied Ive ever been, and I'm not one for doing nothing. Pure heaven !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

www.tripadvisor.com

This site will ans almost any question you have

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Bottle Beach in northern Ko Pha Ngan is only accessible by boat so alot of backpackers dont bother with it. That said there will be a few there but all it contains is around 150 small bamboo bungalows and a few restaurants.No high rises here, just a gorgeous view. Its a lovely spot to chill out on for a week ( or more ) but theres still enough ppl around to have fun at night.

Advertisement