Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build, help needed.

Options
  • 18-03-2008 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I've purchased all the following parts from overclockers.co.uk and assembled them.

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB)
    Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case
    Samsung SH-S203NBEBN 20x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer Lightscribe ReWriter
    LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray Reader & HD-DVD ROM Serial ATA Drive
    Zotac GeForce 8800 GT AMP 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI
    Samsung SpinPoint T 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache
    MSI P7N Diamond nForce 780i SLi (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard with Free Creative X-FI Card
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit Edition DVD
    Thermaltake ToughPower 750W Modular Power Supply
    Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Midnight Grey
    OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-8500C5 1066MHz Reaper HPC Edition Dual Channel DDR2 (OCZ2RPR10664GK)

When Im installing the OS, I select to boot from the DVD drive first followed by the HD. The system picks this up correctly and starts to boot from the DVD. It loads the windows files and I’m presented with the windows vista installer GUI but I can never fully complete the install. For some reason it pc just restarts, sometimes it restarts just after I enter the License Key and other times when its expanding the windows files. I've been trying to rule out hardware problems and tried a different HD, Power Supply, Graphics Card and RAM. I've also tried these components in my friends PC and there grand. I can’t really think of anything else to do, or what config changes in the BIOS that could fix this problem?
    Any help would be great appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Vista has a problem installing with 4gb of ram. Take out one of your sticks install and apply all the updates. Then you can stick back in the extra 2gb. Happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Garret C

sink wrote: »
    Vista has a problem installing with 4gb of ram. Take out one of your sticks install and apply all the updates. Then you can stick back in the extra 2gb. Happened to me.

I'm only installing with one stick of RAM (1x2GB), so I dont think thats it. Thanks though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Garret C wrote: »
    I'm only installing with one stick of RAM (1x2GB), so I dont think thats it. Thanks though.

Check the CPU temp in the BIOS just after the reset and see how high it is. Also burn a CD with Memtest86+ and boot from that to check for memory errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The 780i is a nightmare of a board for a fresh install as i found out :/ To get round this update the bios to the latest version. Luckilly you dont need to do it via a floppy as nvidia has now added support to update the bios via cd. Just download the ISO, burn it and then install it. Alt+f2 should be the combo you need to get into the bios flash menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Unfortunately you don't have a computer to download the iso!! :P:P :D:D Jk

Use ISOburner and burn it to a CD as Anti said! Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Spear wrote: »
    Check the CPU temp in the BIOS just after the reset and see how high it is. Also burn a CD with Memtest86+ and boot from that to check for memory errors.

Whats the average/standard temp the CPU would/should be running at. The OP's CPU seems to vary from 31-34 celcius post crash. (I'm the OPs mate whose pc was used to swap components).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The temp of a q6600 is safe to 80c. The NB on the 780i i known to hit 105c and still be stable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Fizman wrote: »
    Whats the average/standard temp the CPU would/should be running at. The OP's CPU seems to vary from 31-34 celcius post crash. (I'm the OPs mate whose pc was used to swap components).

Temp wise that's fine. Try a different SATA cable and the RAM test.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Garret C

Spear wrote: »
    Temp wise that's fine. Try a different SATA cable and the RAM test.

Unfortunitely I've already tired a different SATA cable and even a different HD. Also tired different RAM with no joy.

Gonna look online now for instructions of how to update the BIOs as I dont think the MSI P7N is as easy to update as the Evga version. Fingers crossed a new bios will sort it.

Advertisement