Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Component video and audio to Scart cable

• 18-03-2008 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi all,

hopefully I'm in the right place. If not, apologies and feel free to move it to the correct one.

I have what I would have thought is a pretty straight forward question.

Does anyone know where can I get a combined component video and audio to scart cable. This is the kind of thing I'm looking for http://catalog.belkin.com/PureAV_detail.process?Product_Id=298343

Inquiries to local electrical stores have resulted in a blank and I can't seem to find it in any webstores. I've tried the usual haunts (komplett, pixmania etc) with no joy. There does appear to be a huge proliferation of them on ebay Australia mind you :confused:

I basically need it to connect Apple TV to a Television that only has scart inputs (no hdmi or dvi) and the person doesn't want to buy an amp to run the audio independently.

If anybody could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Ive looked into this in some depth when the apple TV came out , and you need more than just a cable here.

Component video comes in more than one flavour , technically , any system that splits video up is a component system , so S-video is a type of component ,

Your concern however , is that scart uses RGB type component video , and the apple uses YUV type component video , and these two do not mix and match , they are completely different signal types.

That means you need a converter to get this to work on a scart type TV , not just a cable , and these are not exactly cheap. They are also thin on the ground and may be hard to source over here , most converter units are directional so you would specifically need a YUV to RGB converter , and also Ive never found one that would do audio as well .

http://www.highway.net.au/parts/converters/2012.html

Apple specifically state that the unit will not work on scart TV's , mostly because of this issue , I never actually did find a workable solution for a reasonable price. Your only chance of sourcing one is online , there are no shops in this country that stock this type of converter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭marcphisto

many thanks for the replies gents.

I guess he should have checked whether it would work when he bought it then!! He will most likely buy the convertor and all the relevent cables and lump the lot on me to sort out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

...or flog the TV and buy one with component video in...

Advertisement