Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

handling long words in php

Options
  • 18-03-2008 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

hi

ive been looking for a function /way to handle long words entered by users in one of my applications.

for example if a user enters
    ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

then it will distort the page

how do i introduce a space after ever 20th character if a string goes over a length of 20 ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Javascript on the sign form would be your best bet.

Would allow you to have max limit on the amount of characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Apparently PHP has an in-built function:
    wordwrap($texttowrap, 40, "<br/>", 1);

There is a CSS property, but it only worked in IE 7 for me. I don't know whether it's IE specific or what.
    word-wrap: break-word

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

Sposs wrote: »

but i dont want to limit amount of characters - it will be a testarea that they can add a story to - its the word size im worries about .

thanks

Sposs wrote: »

The amount of characters isn't the problem, it's the amount of continuous chracters without a space. If the PHP function doesn't work, you'd probably have to split the text into an array using a space or linebreak as the delimiter, and then iterate through the array and break up any strings.

eoin_s wrote: »
    Apparently PHP has an in-built function:
    wordwrap($texttowrap, 40, "<br/>", 1);

There is a CSS property, but it only worked in IE 7 for me. I don't know whether it's IE specific or what.
    word-wrap: break-word

wordwrap dont work - it only wraps text that has spaces - however u can see my text above has no spaces so this is a no go !
    thanks

• Advertisement

Are you sure? This page says otherwise: http://uk3.php.net/wordwrap

eoin_s wrote: »
    Are you sure? This page says otherwise: http://uk3.php.net/wordwrap

my bad in fact - i played with the params and yes indeed it works

thanks lads

Advertisement