Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Chinese Takeaway around Christchurch/Patrick St??

• 18-03-2008 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Just wondering does anybody have a Chinese takeaway that they use regularly and find good. I used to use a place on Clanbrassil Street but its changed names and owners and just not the same.

Because of where we are we should have a pick of them...... dieing for a curry later and don't want to get it wrong!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Try:
    Chengdu 01 454 5539 Lower Clanbrassil Street

If you're planning on getting it delivered try:
    Jade House 01 490 7500 Kimmage
    Shirley House 01 492 1564 Kimmage
    Emerald House 01 453 5477 Crumlin

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭chic chick

Oh Delivery only...roll on 5pm when they open shop!! I'll just about make it to the door to answer it. St Patrick has a lot to answer for....

Haha tell me about me it.:D

What would you be ordering and I'll advise you for the best take-away to order it from.

Out of the four I mentioned, I'd go with Emerald Hse or Jade Hse.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭chic chick

Its got to be a curry. Nice and hot.... Nearly 5 oclock...yipee.......

• Advertisement

Hope you got your curry from Emerald Hse, there very nice and hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Why would you want to eat curry from a Chinese?

Gyalist wrote: »
    Why would you want to eat curry from a Chinese?

Why would you want to drive a foreign car, eat foreign lamb?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Why would you want to drive a foreign car, eat foreign lamb?

Are you joking or did you completely miss the point?

Curry is an Indian food. If you want curry, why wouldn't you go to an Indian take-away? It's like going to a vegetarian restaurant and asking for steak!

Faith wrote: »

Curry is an Indian food. If you want curry, why wouldn't you go to an Indian take-away? It's like going to a vegetarian restaurant and asking for steak!

It was a tongue in cheek reply.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

Faith wrote: »

Couldn't agree more. Never could understand this (solely Irish I might add) mentality of ordering curry in a Chinese restaurant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I have to admit that I've never eaten curry from a Chinese takeaway but I'll assume that it must taste better than it smells. It only smells vaguely like curry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It was a tongue in cheek reply.;)

LOL. Sure it was ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Couldn't agree more. Never could understand this (solely Irish I might add) mentality of ordering curry in a Chinese restaurant.
    I just checked some online menus, every chinese takeaway did currys, these were in the UK and US, so it seems it is not just an Irish thing.

Indian takeaways tend to be more expensive so many will go to a chinese instead. Also there are far more chinese than indian takeways. I am not sure but maybe in the UK there are more indians than chinese ones, I get that impression from TV etc, it is always a curry house or "indian" mentioned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry
    Curry (from Tamil: கறி) is the English description of any of a general variety of spicy dishes, best-known in Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan, Nepali, Indonesian, Malaysian, Thai, Chinese and other South Asian and Southeast Asian cuisines
    Chinese curries (咖哩, gā lǐ) typically consist of green peppers, chicken, beef, fish, lamb, or other meats, onions, large chunks of potatoes, and a variety of other ingredients and spices in a mildly spicy yellow curry sauce, and topped over steamed rice. White pepper, soy sauce, hot sauce, and/or hot chili oil may be applied to the sauce to enhance the flavour of the curry. Chinese curry is popular in North America, and there are many different varieties of Chinese curry, depending on each restaurant. Unlike other Asian curries, which usually have a thicker consistency, Chinese curry is often watery in nature.

Curry is an Indian food. If you want curry, why wouldn't you go to an Indian take-away?
    I would agree and it does bug me that many people only ever get curries and never try any other dishes. But some just like it, so let them, if you found a Italian restaurant that did a nice Irish stew then whats the problem?

I like both indian and chinese curries, I find them very different too. I know a guy who did not like indian takeaway curries he got and only gets chinese ones, I see no problem with that.

I have been in China a few times and never saw curry on the menus, though most were bizarre translations. On Chinese guy I met loved his hot food but when I asked he told me he had never had a curry in his life.

Many people are simply ignorant of what the other dishes are, they can be very vague, just "cantonese chicken", people stick with what they know, just like people stick to guinness. They tend to be the most consistent dish too. Dunnes now do a "chinese curry" sauce which is more like the takeaway ones than others. Pataks do great sauces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I don't mind when people order curry in a Chinese, it is on the menu after all. However, it annoyed me so much when people came into the Chinese I worked in and the whole table ordered curry/steak/roast chicken. There's a perfectly good restaurant that does these better up the road!

Then again, if they're on the menu, people can choose them if they wish!

Advertisement