Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary schools in Sligo Town?

Options
  • 18-03-2008 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know which of the primary schools in Sligo Town are the best? My daughter will need to start school next September. I know we're leaving it a bit late but we were originally planning on moving back home to the sticks before she started school. Any information greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

My brother's kids are at the primary school in Saint Mary's gaa club near the Mitchell Curley Park (I can't remember the name of it). It's a gaelscoil so their Irish is really good. Just imagine how easy leaving cert Irish would be if you had been speaking it all your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

el_weirdo wrote: »
    Does anyone know which of the primary schools in Sligo Town are the best? My daughter will need to start school next September. I know we're leaving it a bit late but we were originally planning on moving back home to the sticks before she started school. Any information greatly appreciated.
    The answer to that will be down to peoples own experiences so expect a variance in the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Isn't it to do with catchment areas?
    I thought if you lived in an area then your children should go to school in that area, or is that just the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 carebare

It's not enforced as vehemently here as in the U.K. I think it's more to do with convenience as well as parental preferences really. There are a number of good schools in Sligo town area. St. John's got a really good write up lately in the Sligo Champion, also Scoil Ursula is an excellent school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

carebare wrote: »
    It's not enforced as vehemently here as in the U.K. I think it's more to do with convenience as well as parental preferences really. There are a number of good schools in Sligo town area. St. John's got a really good write up lately in the Sligo Champion, also Scoil Ursula is an excellent school.

Do St Johns accept girls now? I went there a few years ago to get information on sending my daughter, but it was an all boys school :o.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Gillie wrote: »
    Nope

So I can cross St. Johns off the list then...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

St. Johns are a co-ed school now. Look at the big sign outside it.;)

I went to Carraroe. Grand. All the primary schools in Sligo are great, so it really is much of a muchness unless your looking at something specific like the Gaelscoil.

St. Johns are a co-ed school now. Look at the big sign outside it.;)

I went to Carraroe. Grand. All the primary schools in Sligo are great, so it really is much of a muchness unless your looking at something specific like the Gaelscoil.

Well shut my mouth!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

el_weirdo wrote: »

Hi,

there's also the Mercy Primary School on Pearse Road (up a bit from the Garda Station)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I went to St Edwards down in Ballytivnan. Now my best mates kids go there and they love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

Everyone is going to say the school they went to is good!!!

St.Brendans ftw!!!:D

Everyone is going to say the school they went to is good!!!

St.Brendans ftw!!!:D

I went there many moons ago!
    Grand spot and what a view!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Aye, Carraroe N.S. is the school i went too...grand quiet school...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lornaq

My daughter goes to Scoil Ursula on the Strandhill road. She loves it. Teachers are very friendly I have two more daughters who will follow her there! Really though go for the school that is closest to where you will be living so that the little friends can meet up easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

If you're looking for a Co-Ed, secular, liberal school, try Sligo School Project! Students don't even have to wear uniforms. Right beside the Fire Station aswell, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I also went to the Project and I have to say its a beautiful school and the teachers there were amazing. That said its been more than ten years since I left there so I can't say what it's like now. I do know they are having an open day pretty soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    If you're looking for a Co-Ed, secular, liberal school, try Sligo School Project! Students don't even have to wear uniforms. Right beside the Fire Station aswell, lol.

The project may be secular, but they do have religious classes for some faiths. When I was there (nearly 20 years ago now) in the old spot we had to go to religion class in another building while the children of other faiths stayed behind. So on and so forth for the other religions, but I don't know if they actually teach them all at this stage.

TBH, I would think that a uniform would be a good idea. Its preferable, and there's no fashion competitions.

After two years from the original question I would say the OP is sorted now.

I agree with the uniform, makes life so much easier to have one, except for the rip off school skirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

magnumlady wrote: »
    After two years from the original question I would say the OP is sorted now.

Indeed I am, thank you magnumlady!

Ended up moving back out to the sticks and put her in a school with only 2 other kids in her class.

She's in Senior Infants now and going great guns.

Edit: Actually, I think the OP was my first ever post.

• Advertisement

Glad you got sorted, blimey that must be a small school. Hope you are all settled now.

Advertisement