Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jays in Ireland

• 18-03-2008 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭

Hi,

While walking in Phoenix Park at the weekend i was pleasantly surprised to see a pair of Jays showing well. I know they are pretty shy so it was great to see them. I was just wondering was i lucky to see Jays in Ireland or are they farly common throughout the country?

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

They are very common on the eastern side of the island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Nice to hear they are still in the park - haven't seen them there for years. I've only seen them on East coast too...Dublin/Wicklow border, Crone Wood...but wouldn't have thought they were very common. Often just spot the rump as they boot it into the trees. I thought Donadea in Kildare would be perfect for them, but haven't seen/heard them there :-(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭stevensi

Yeah i saw a pair by the chapelizard entrance. Heard that screech first and then saw them in the trees. Then as i walked by the American Embassy a jay landed no more than 10 feet from me and stayed there for a good five minutes. It was not in the least bit interested in me...As i said it was a pleasant surprised as i've only seen Jays once before and that was in Cork.

There was also a lot of Goldcrests about that day as well...a lovely little bird

Nice to hear they are still in the park - haven't seen them there for years. I've only seen them on East coast too...Dublin/Wicklow border, Crone Wood...but wouldn't have thought they were very common. Often just spot the rump as they boot it into the trees. I thought Donadea in Kildare would be perfect for them, but haven't seen/heard them there :-(.

I have seen them in Donadea on many occaisions. Over near the eastern wall and near the castle. I have also spotted them in Kilmashogue/Tibradden area too. I have observed them up at Loughcrew House in Meath, Ballyhaise in Cavan and near Ardee in Louth... maybe I am just lucky!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

stevensi wrote: »
    Hi,

While walking in Phoenix Park at the weekend i was pleasantly surprised to see a pair of Jays showing well. I know they are pretty shy so it was great to see them. I was just wondering was i lucky to see Jays in Ireland or are they farly common throughout the country?

Regards

yep saw them in the phoenix park also in the last few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've seen them in my garden here in Bray on a few occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

They're quite common but not easily spotted. They have a shy nature and prefer woodlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Cheers Boneless, will look harder next time :). I remember now I have also seen them in Cavan - a few miles west of Cavan town.

Cheers Boneless, will look harder next time :). I remember now I have also seen them in Cavan - a few miles west of Cavan town.

Do you know Larch Hill, the scouts campsite? I see them a lot up there. You need permission to go watching. The warden is a bit gruff but he's okay and into his raptors!! Talk peregrine with him and you'll be fine!! :p

I was convinced once that I heard a woodpecker up there... it turned out to be a jay knocking a chessnut against a branch!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

about 20 years ago saw a dead one in Killarney Town park (which is part of the national park complete with red deer) while orienteering lovely birds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Great to see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Also common in the woodland around Lough Ennell near Mullingar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

I know a place where jays nest each year,, you can hear them and see the trees moving, but never see them...

gversey wrote: »
    I know a place where jays nest each year,, you can hear them and see the trees moving, but never see them...

They can be elusive little beggers, but keep in cover and be patient! :)

Advertisement