Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Using Commercial Vehicle as Private Car

Options
  • 18-03-2008 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows the score with this...

I want to buy a van (Transporter/Vito or similar) to use as my private car, or potentially as a second car.

What will happen with tax? Will I be liable to pay commercial tax rates, or standard CC-based rates?

Insurance-wise, do you reckon things will be straightforward?

Has anyone done something similar?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

mvpr wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows the score with this...

I want to buy a van (Transporter/Vito or similar) to use as my private car, or potentially as a second car.

What will happen with tax? Will I be liable to pay commercial tax rates, or standard CC-based rates?

Insurance-wise, do you reckon things will be straightforward?

Has anyone done something similar?

Thanks in advance...
    You will more than likely have to start a new Insurance policy as you cannot transfer your car policy to a commercial vechile. You then tax the van as a commercial vechile. Based on commercial tax rates (weight of the vechile, I think).
    When you are getting the Ins. quote, you will be asked what you are using the van for. If you use it for work commute, or non commercial use, that will dictate how much your policy will cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 miki1

i use now mazda 626. and want o change into the vancomm. and i have asked Alianz about my insurance : for mazda i pay 500 a year and a seme condition for a van with 2,3 liter engine they count my insurace at 229 eu. noone ask me for what i want that van? Yea it is true- i run a small bussines but they in Allians don,t know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

if its taxed as commercial you'll have to get a commercial insurance policy just make sure to tell the insurance company that you wont be keeping any tools,stock etc. in it
    i found fbd good for commercial insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Invincible

landydef wrote: »
    if its taxed as commercial you'll have to get a commercial insurance policy just make sure to tell the insurance company that you wont be keeping any tools,stock etc. in it
    i found fbd good for commercial insurance

I got a Toyota Hilux,had private car insurance before,was with FBD the last few years,got a quote from them for 1300 euro,they said if "you're sole income was from farming,we do a special rate,no matter what type your jeep is",discrimination or what??

I asked a workmate where his commercial was insured,he gave me a number for Munster Group,Ennis,they quoted me 480 euro,full comp,dealt with them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Invincible wrote: »
    I got a Toyota Hilux,had private car insurance before,was with FBD the last few years,got a quote from them for 1300 euro,they said if "you're sole income was from farming,we do a special rate,no matter what type your jeep is",discrimination or what??

FBD did start out purely in the agricultural sector. If the person is just a farmer, they are much more lightly to do fairly low mileage in a commercial, hence less risk of them claiming off FBD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

FBD = Farmers' Business Development, expect a little bit of bias in favour of farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Invincible

Timmaay wrote: »
    FBD did start out purely in the agricultural sector. If the person is just a farmer, they are much more lightly to do fairly low mileage in a commercial, hence less risk of them claiming off FBD.

Well Timmaay,I'll have to disagree with you there,noting against farmers,but they're more likely to pull trailers fairly often compared to the likes of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

A van for personal use? Are you crazy? I have two vans and they are a pain to drive, slow, noisy, thirsty and a clutch that will lead to a hip operation

Advertisement