Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Maps data quality / search results - crippled in Ireland?

• 18-03-2008 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hi,

I've already asked one question about this, and managed to get the directions working.

However, I've tried searching for things like restaurants, cinemas etc, and I get nothing.

According to the marketing, Google Maps should be able to show you where things are in the location you are in. This seems to be missing from the Irish maps.

Anyone managed to get this working?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Scottish wrote: »
    Hi,

I've already asked one question about this, and managed to get the directions working.

However, I've tried searching for things like restaurants, cinemas etc, and I get nothing.

According to the marketing, Google Maps should be able to show you where things are in the location you are in. This seems to be missing from the Irish maps.

Anyone managed to get this working?

I don't the mobile version works on any platform for Ireland. I had Google maps on my trusty Nokia 6300 and it was the same - no businesses showed when I did a search.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

Great.

While I love the phone (I was using a Sony Ericsson m600i, a phone that should never have been released on to the market in my opinion, it was just broken), I'm getting annoyed at a couple of things.

The implementation of google maps in Ireland
    The cost of data roaming (which renders things like maps impossible to use elsewhere in Europe)
    The lack of visual voicemail

Other than that, great phone, EDGE is surprisingly quick on it.

Scottish wrote: »
    Other than that, great phone, EDGE is surprisingly quick on it.

My experiences with my iPhone on the train this morning contradict your findings.

Only for the fact that I have infinite patience, the phone would be out the window. Very painful to use both maps and the Internet. I found it very "bursty" and most of the time I had a full strength signal. I would hope the performance would be better while stationary.

I'll give it a second chance on the way home this evening, before passing final judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

Agreed, I found it painful on the DART as well.

However, my previous phone was just as bad if not worse - and it was 3g (in fact, if the network changed from 3g to GPRS I usually had to restart the browser, which happened a lot on the train).

Slightly off topic: I just checked my Meteor account online. According to it, I have used 3226Mb since Saturday, while the data counter on my iPhone says I have only used 3Mb.

I wonder which is correct? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 philip_tyrrell@

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Slightly off topic: I just checked my Meteor account online. According to it, I have used 3226Mb since Saturday, while the data counter on my iPhone says I have only used 3Mb.

I wonder which is correct? :D

Are you sure that the Meteor site was giving you a Mb reading and not a kb one.

Are you sure that the Meteor site was giving you a Mb reading and not a kb one.

The Meteor site is configured in Mb, but methinks the calculations are done in Kb.

I am using the 250Mb data-add on and it appears to be deducting in units of Mb rather than kb. I've posted a few threads about this on this forum already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    The Meteor site is configured in Mb, but methinks the calculations are done in Kb.

I am using the 250Mb data-add on and it appears to be deducting in units of Mb rather than kb. I've posted a few threads about this on this forum already.

On my Check My Balance page the MB count is right(9), but on the data add-on page itself the count is way off.

wonderboy wrote: »
    On my Check My Balance page the MB count is right(9), but on the data add-on page itself the count is way off.

Ah, I hadn't seen that. I wasn't active the last time I checked (last week).

It's not far off what my phone says. Excellent, thanks.

Advertisement