Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clone Upgrades

Options
  • 18-03-2008 5:24pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Generally speaking, what parts are worth upgrading in a clone?

I think the bushings and reshim, possibly a tight bore but after that are air nozzles, pistons, piston heads, etc?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

the gears would be one., bushings, shims, barrel, hopup rubber, up graded motor etc., there the ones that will give the most noticible improvements.,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

it all depends on what you wanna do, i wouldnt bother with gears to be honest, a simple job like re-shimming the gears is sufficient enough for most clones to make them perform better and last longer.

i'd go with metal bushings if the stock ones are nylon

changing the hopup rubber would help with range and consistency of shots, ive no preference at the moment on hopup rubbers, but the guarder clear ones seem to have a good reputation

alot of clones come with a tightbore barrel, so no need to upgrade that in alot of cases, although a branded tightbore may give better accuracy due to being machined better

motor's i'd leave as they are aswell unless you wanted a high speed motor for higher rate of fire

air nozzles/pistons/piston heads I would only bother doing if i was basically rebuilding the entire gearbox, but if you're having air seal problems, replacing the o-ring on the piston head will help

oh i presumed high ROF was the goal for some reason., i want everything to have an insane ROF.,lol.,:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I was looking at one of the Guarder kits on EHobby

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270218897208&ssPageName=MERC_VI_ReBay_Pr12_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=280209657508&itemcount=12&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CategoryProximity&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=its%3DS%252BI%252BSS

They have:
    Polycarbonate Piston
    Air Seal Nozzle
    Ball Bearings Spring Guide
    Polycarbonate Ventilation Piston Head
    Stainless Cylinder Head
    Lucid Chromium Plating Cylinder
    Original Type Steel Gear
    Enhanced Tappet Plate
    6mm Steel Bushing
    Shim Set
    SUPER-LUBE Oil X3

But I don't know what the net gain will be if I did do that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

The bushings and the shims seem to be the only thing you actually would want out of all that :D

A stock nozzle will do, an o-ringed air seal one puts strain on the tappet, so enhanced tappet :D One is to make up for the other.

Clones tend to have vented piston heads, and pistons well up to 1 joule work, the gears, well, maybe, never had a gear strip on me, and I havnt heard of a properly shimmed set breaking at 1 joule load, but rof can affect them.

And why get a harder cylinder head, again 1 joule hitting off it.
    The cylinder, what benefit does it offer?

Spring guide can help fps on a low power spring but will wear it out quicker, a stronger spring would be better, the bearings, are they so the spring can twist right? And not resist compression through friction I'm guessing.

Just my 2 cents, but, most of that stuff seems unnecessary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Cool thats the info im looking for really.

Motosam wrote: »
    The bushings and the shims seem to be the only thing you actually would want out of all that :D

A stock nozzle will do, an o-ringed air seal one puts strain on the tappet, so enhanced tappet :D One is to make up for the other.

Clones tend to have vented piston heads, and pistons well up to 1 joule work, the gears, well, maybe, never had a gear strip on me, and I havnt heard of a properly shimmed set breaking at 1 joule load, but rof can affect them.

And why get a harder cylinder head, again 1 joule hitting off it.
    The cylinder, what benefit does it offer?

Spring guide can help fps on a low power spring but will wear it out quicker, a stronger spring would be better, the bearings, are they so the spring can twist right? And not resist compression through friction I'm guessing.

Just my 2 cents, but, most of that stuff seems unnecessary.

better quality cylinder (with polished walls) will be machined to tighter tolerances, which will give a better air seal and the more polished it is the less friction so better rof

bearing spring guide will push fps up a bit but will help reduce stress on the spring as you said and also helps increase rof.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

The piston though, really is it that much better?

The standard brass ones look as smooth as a smooth thing.

And surely adding extra compression via a bearing spring guide, will wear a spring out, or is the ability to twist on the bearing more important than this?

allow the spring to spin relieves tension so it should cause less wear

the piston itself is sometimes worth upgrading for higher rate of fire so it doesnt wear out quicker, same with high fps but that doesnt apply to us

the standard brass cylinders are ok, but not nearly as polished as some of the aftermarket products, but for the amount of money you pay it's only really worth it if you want to do a complete rebuild

the spring guides are a good upgrade to get a few more FPS if your at the 300ish mark and they make a noticible difference to the ROF, only down side is sometimes with the spring guide it allows the spring to spin as its supposed to but it will wobble after the shot and bang off the inside of the gearbox., its nothing really and it dont bother me but a few people have asked me why it makes that noise.,

• Advertisement
Advertisement