Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting rid of old PCs etc in Limerick area

Options
  • 18-03-2008 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

getting rid of old PCs etc in Limerick area
    Im the manager of a small sales team in the Limerick area, I want to get rid of a number of old Pcs, terminals etc. Do you know of any local companies that would pick up these items, destroy the hard disks and take them away for recycling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I'm sure you could bring them to Hegartys or somewhere on the tipperary road, what kind of machines are they I'm looking for some memory for my pc. I would be happy to wipe the drives clean for you for re-use...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Don't know about the Hard drives , but you could just take the pc's down to the recycling centre in mungret ..... €4 for a car load .

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

Under WEEE it's illegal for any state recycling plant to charge when accepting electrical or electronic equipment now. Also, if you're buying new PCs, the supplier is obliged to take the old ones off you on a like-for-like basis. Don't know about destroying the HDDs, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

How old are they? If they're from around 2000 or newer I might be interested in them. There's ways of wiping hard disks so the data is not recoverable - there's no need to destroy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

my pc is wrecked, i have the use of a friends lappy, i could do with 1 of them, and i am willing to collect and wipe,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

thanks guys for all the replies, however, the issue is that Im a real non techie, and I dont know how to destroy the hard disk, and my IT dept in Dublin will only let me know get rid of the PC once the hard disk has been destroyed by either a member of hte IT dept or by an authorised person, so this rules out the above replies Im afraid - thanks anyway
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

You can give the harddrive to your IT dept but still give the rest of the machines to anyone else Hard drives are cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

sioda wrote: »
    You can give the harddrive to your IT dept but still give the rest of the machines to anyone else Hard drives are cheap

+1 on that idea. The drives are the only components that realistically need be disposed of securely. The rest you can bring to the WEEE centre in Castlemungret (Im pretty sure).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

or p.m. me i will take out the drive in your presence and hand it to you

Advertisement