Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming & HTML Software

Options
  • 18-03-2008 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Had some frustrating fun programming on a recent job. (Received some great help here) So I would like to start doing a little more.

My project is one for home that Ill eventually bring into work if I can get it working and looking well. It should be easy enough to do as well. I plan on creating a web page with goggle maps and the goggle map Api so that people in the office can get a select a location in Ireland and find our nearest office and then it will show the address and a little picture, which I think will be very handy.

So.. because I cant program and I'm hopeless at HTML or any web page format, I would like some recommendations on some software that I could use to program HTML \ java or any other basic web page type. (As you can see I don't know exactly what I'm looking for..) I noticed on some other sites Ive been reading into that when people post the code its all laid out very well and in nice colors with numbers along the side so you can see where your mistake was, something like that would be good. Ive been using a program called NVU and MS word so far, which is grand but I would something with more functions.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Hey Guys,

Had some frustrating fun programming on a recent job. (Received some great help here) So I would like to start doing a little more.

My project is one for home that Ill eventually bring into work if I can get it working and looking well. It should be easy enough to do as well. I plan on creating a web page with goggle maps and the goggle map Api so that people in the office can get a select a location in Ireland and find our nearest office and then it will show the address and a little picture, which I think will be very handy.

So.. because I cant program and I'm hopeless at HTML or any web page format, I would like some recommendations on some software that I could use to program HTML \ java or any other basic web page type. (As you can see I don't know exactly what I'm looking for..) I noticed on some other sites Ive been reading into that when people post the code its all laid out very well and in nice colors with numbers along the side so you can see where your mistake was, something like that would be good. Ive been using a program called NVU and MS word so far, which is grand but I would something with more functions.

Thanks

You can't really get a program which will code for you, but if you can it will be limited in functionality and in it's ability to provide you with what you want.

The Google Maps API is well documented and pretty easy to start messing around with. I'd suggest getting a good HTML editor such as Dreamweaver and start playing around with it. The great thing about programming and web design is that it can be self-taught!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Believe it or not, you could use VS2005 or later, the wizards would do most of the database work for you, because you can drag in a data control and bind it to your datasource, and tell it what you want to use to search on.

Without having to code too much you could have the program done extremely quickly and it does have a HTML design surface as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Thanks Guys, I remember giving Dreamweaver a go a few years ago but found it quite "large" for what I needed to do, its was kinda like using PhotoShop to edit a picture size. We have a copy of Dreamweaver here somewhere so I can easily get that up and running and test it out. We also have alot of MS tools so I should be able to find VS2005 too, which will be helpful.

Thanks again for your help, thats the easy part of the project done ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Haven't MS released a package that's sort of halfway between VS and Front Page? I think it's designed to use the .net framework, but more geared towards the front end design, or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Yeah its the expression studio brand.

Blend is meant mainly for Silverlight and WCF stuff, Design for Graphics I think, and Web well is web aint it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Well if you're starting out it's a good idea to hand code in my opinion rather than using a wsiwig editor as you get to deal with the nuts and bolts.

In that case all you really need is a notepad replacement with syntax highlighting.

There are many that are free and/or open source. Do a search for them on Google. If you want to fork out a few quid you won't do much better than Ultraedit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Editplus 2 to begin the traditional list of everybody's favourite text editor :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Op - Kompozer is a good, simple, (and free) HTML editor with WYSIWYG and code views.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,680 ✭✭✭Trampas

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Editplus 2 to begin the traditional list of everybody's favourite text editor :)

Good old edit plus.

Version 3 out now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

This is great, thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Yay, version 3! :pac:

Advertisement