Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pricing help please

Options
  • 18-03-2008 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just a quick question,

I am creating 2 websites, one a cms site, (quite a lot of work setting up and inputting users data and creating acounts etc, also a bulletin board) and a normal 10 page static site,

What should I charge for each? Cms taking about 2-3 days static 1.5 days

Thanks in advance.

p.s. is it worth hosting myself using one of the webhosts "reseller" options and charging a little extra or just get a separate host for each?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I've no idea about the main part of your question, however in terms of the hosting...

Are you going to be in a position to offer your client(s) technical support 6 months down the road when they have an issue with email or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

blacknight, thats what im hoping for, ie im a software dev trying to start doing a few nixers in evenings and weekends, incidentally i just registered a .eu name with blacknight, how long does it take to become active? thanks for reply btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

tw0nk wrote:
    incidentally i just registered a .eu name with blacknight
    Hosts have their own support paths, can we keep questions for those on those? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

tw0nk wrote: »
    blacknight, thats what im hoping for, ie im a software dev trying to start doing a few nixers in evenings and weekends
    Fair enough :)

A lot of people tend to ignore the technical support aspect and then end up in a world of pain further down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Part 1.

How long is a piece of string.
    However, there are some good pointers here.

http://www.hwg.org/resources/faqs/ratesFAQ.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

www.freelanceswitch.com/rates

That might give you an hourly rate and then multiply it by the time involved. Don't forget to factor in meetings, revisions, testing, etc.

I think your estimates are underestimated however - 12 hours for a static site? Don't worry... you'll live and learn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

thanks for replies guys, live n learn i spose it best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

I think 'live and learn' is a pretty good adage to this thread. If you don't know what you should be charging, then you're probably not experienced enough to charge very much. Just decide on what you would consider a fair hourly rate (for everything - production, scoping, administration, etc.) and charge that. You'll get better at estimating project costs as time goes on!

Advertisement