Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragonforce!

Options
  • 18-03-2008 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

post your thoughts on this mega fast glam rock band here, personally i think theyre good on a joke level but lack the substance of a real band...let me know what you think!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

they're grand for the odd song on shuffle....but nothing special

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Rustycans

All the songs seem similar to me . Cheesy Power Metal but good musicians though .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 extraflavour

Rustycans wrote: »
    All the songs seem similar to me .

yeah thats what i was thinking to be honest, although i have one album(inhuman rampage) ive never listened to every track on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Completely overrated. All they have is speed, and pretty much nothing else. The songs are practically all the same, and the guitarists aren't even that good - try watching some of their youtube videos.

One trick pony gone too far IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Hate them. Herman Li is not good. Anyone can play scales, he just plays them really fast with "funny tricks" like playing with his habd the wrong way around. Wow man, far out :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I love them! Some of the songs have substance imo, like Valley of the Damned, it has a nice Wagnerian aspect to it :)

Theres a quirky sense of fun about them that I like, more bands need it because its a rare quality these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭SameDifference

Dragonforce are the most awesome technically sound speed freaks I've ever heard. Metal isn't about being perfect, its about making people go OMFG.

ZP_Theart-12863.jpg

^^ Who said my band is ****? huh?! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

They have great hair

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

They have great hair

Heh :D

Ah, as Fantasy Metal goes they are one of the best.
    They may not be able to play through the fire and flames live, even close to the speed or as well as the album version but hey.. They're deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

meh one of them love them or hate them bands me...i cant stand them had such high hopes after all the hype they got if i wanted to listen to a band like dragonforce id have listened to alcatrazz years ago lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I liked the idea of the rediculessly fast guitar solo's on first listening, but then realised, they are compleat and utter ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

They're alright. I don't hate them as much as some people seem to do, but there are bands out there who can shred them under the table, and have much better songs to boot. Sonata Arctica and Galneryus for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

They are dreadful, everything that is bad in a band. So what if they can really fast?, they sound ****, every song is the same, they are just one big cheesy cliche. **** em.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Aweful muck imo! Phenomonally tallented yes, but after the solos it goes crappy snappy!!
    I think it's the singer, and general feel.
    Dream Theatre ftw!

They don't seem to be able to deliver live. With TTFATF I think they really bit off more than they could chew - videos of them playing it in a live setting show us that they pretty much 'pro-tooled' the hell out of it in the studio, or at the very least, spent AGES trying to pull of the solos and the sychronised pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

this has come up before... there's a guy like simon cowell behind them... i'm sure of it... they're too............. perfect...
    fast drums to keep the thrashers happy.., melodic, maidenesque vocals, rediculous solos.big hair.....there's something almost cheesy about them...
    helloween sounded like them back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Dragonforce are the most awesome technically sound speed freaks I've ever heard.

Then you obviously haven't heard many.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA_QpVMR6jU

Pretty crap, really.

Dragonforce are the most awesome technically sound speed freaks I've ever heard. Metal isn't about being perfect, its about making people go OMFG.

The TTFATF single, combined with the music video gives that illusion temporarily, but I just don't think they have any great skills in reality. That 'picture in picture' moment is really misleading TBH. Have you seen the 'Metal by Numbers' video? Pretty funny...and pertinent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

ZP_Theart-12863.jpg

^^ Who said my band is ****? huh?! :mad:

car accidents make me go OMFG...
    i hear on that single that there's a guitar solo and a keyboard solo running at the same time?? midi??

steveone wrote: »
    i hear on that single that there's a guitar solo and a keyboard solo running at the same time?? midi??

No doubt, but to what extent... hmm. Wouldn't surprise me if the drums were sequenced.

I dunno, something about that band DID always strike me as 'put together', I mean, if I was the Simon Cowell of metal, DragonForce are exactly the band I'd come up with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Every song sounds the exact same: there is some point in each of there songs where it sounds exactly like the first. Its disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Blackthorn1011

Why are people giving out about Dragonforce when Manowar are going unscathed?

At least Dragonforce dont seem to take themselves too seriously. They're a bit of fun. And good musicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

It's funny, about 2 years ago nearly everyone was gobsmacked by dragonforce, but since they got commercial success all the tr00 mehtul fans hate them. I enjoy their music, it sounds good to me on cd and the two times I saw them live I had a great time. Nothing else matters to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Jay P wrote: »
    Hate them. Herman Li is not good. Anyone can play scales, he just plays them really fast with "funny tricks" like playing with his habd the wrong way around. Wow man, far out :pac:

Yeah but thats called entertainment too. Something sadly lacking in amongst all the mixolydian, pentatonic merchants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Dragonforce are not metal, just like bon jovi, meat loaf and Def Leppard.
    They have the look, they play the festivals- but any band that has a lenghty sing along chorus in every song is not a metal band.

c0ck'n'roll maybe, but not metal.

Bullet up my valentine is another example of this awful music.

Metal is not pop- thats what makes it cool, but these bands are dragging it back there.

Why are people giving out about Dragonforce when Manowar are going unscathed?

At least Dragonforce dont seem to take themselves too seriously. They're a bit of fun. And good musicians.

Manowar are excellent musicians and can REALLY deliver live.

Manowar are excellent musicians and can REALLY deliver live.

I once sat through a live dvd of theirs.....:eek:

This was years ago so my memory could be a little shoddy but I seem to remember the guitarist claiming "I would rather die, than play with one blown out speaker" The man uses about 9 4x12s!!!!!

I can appriciate Dragonforce because they are fun.

Manowar are just a big bunch of tossers

I once sat through a live dvd of theirs.....:eek:

This was years ago so my memory could be a little shoddy but I seem to remember the guitarist claiming "I would rather die, than play with one blown out speaker" The man uses about 9 4x12s!!!!!

I can appriciate Dragonforce because they are fun.

Manowar are just a big bunch of tossers

LOL

Nah man it's because he cares so much about bringing high quality sound to the fans. That would be Joey the bassist BTW. They have all custom gear and sound amazing - they even bring their own PA system around in case the venue's one is crap.

I saw them live and they rocked so hard it hurt! Sure, they can be a bit spinal tappy sometimes, but they're very talented. They love their fans too... they always get a fan on stage to play guitar with them! Awesome.

But yeah, I do like one of DF's songs (TTFATF) - if it pops up on my mp3 player, I generally hear it out.

LOL

Nah man it's because he cares so much about bringing high quality sound to the fans. That would be Joey the bassist BTW. They have all custom gear and sound amazing - they even bring their own PA system around in case the venue's one is crap.

I saw them live and they rocked so hard it hurt! Sure, they can be a bit spinal tappy sometimes, but they're very talented. They love their fans too... they always get a fan on stage to play guitar with them! Awesome.

But yeah, I do like one of DF's songs (TTFATF) - if it pops up on my mp3 player, I generally hear it out.

Damn you, I want to go see Manowar live now....

But I dont know why...

• Advertisement

Damn you, I want to go see Manowar live now....

But I dont know why...

:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement