Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renting Guns Legally

• 18-03-2008 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I have heard conflicting reports on this. Perhaps this can be cleared up here.
    Can I rent a real gun to use on a target range??
    If so:

What type of guns can I rent??

How do I go about this??

Do I need ID or my own insurance or lessons??

How does it work??

Ok before anyone jumps down my throat here I want to do this within the law, with proper insurance etc. I would like to see if I enjoy this sport before I consider investing in it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

I have heard conflicting reports on this. Perhaps this can be cleared up here.
    Can I rent a real gun to use on a target range??
    If so:

What type of guns can I rent??

How do I go about this??

Do I need ID or my own insurance or lessons??

How does it work??

Ok before anyone jumps down my throat here I want to do this within the law, with proper insurance etc. I would like to see if I enjoy this sport before I consider investing in it.

the midlands rifle club does this afaik, the guys there will probably fill you in later on.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

MMmmmmm

Generally when you, as a member of the public, go to shoot clay pigeons you are renting a gun. The same would apply for any form of shooting which is available to the general public such as plinking metal ducks at the fair with an air rifle.

Generally the range will have a very good gun for use with the general public due to the number of rounds that will be fired through it, however, I do not know what the intent of your question is?

If you were shooting clay pigeons you are in essence getting lessons in how to safely operate a shotgun, how to behave yourself on the range and with luck how to shoot a few clay pigeons. The Range will generally have insurance which covers you for the duration.

ID would generally be needed and as a minimum you would have to sign a form stating why you are there and that you accept the rules and regulations of the establishment. This would be a general rule applied by any company which allows you to use their equipment.

I hope it helps

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 fluffyduffy

Like I said Bananaman, I would like to see if I enjoy shooting before I invest. Some people have told me you can go to a range and rent a gun, others have said you can not in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Firearms Act as amended, section 2(4)(d) and 2(4)(e) both allow this:
    (4) This section shall not apply to any of the following cases and such cases are accordingly excepted from this section, that is to say:
    (d) the possession, use or carriage of a firearm or ammunition during a competition or target practice at a club, shooting range or any other place that stands authorised under this section or section 4A of this Act,
    (e) the possession, use or carriage of a firearm (other than a shot-gun) of a calibre not exceeding .23 inches or of ammunition by a person operating a range or shooting gallery in an amusement hall or at a fun fair, carnival or other like event for the purposes of the range or shooting gallery who stands authorised in that behalf under this section or by a person using such range or shooting gallery,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Yeah midands in Co. Offaly will let you rent a .22lr rifle and also if you want to do
    clays that lads will let you borrow a shotgun. For a Day out you can
    just turn up on a Sat/Sun and after going through the correct safety
    precautions and some instruction you can fire away.

Midlands is great got some of the best facilities in the country.
    (Roll on the 1000m range I cant wait to see people fire on one!!)
    Have not made it up there myself since Jan so longing for a trip up.
    They do Shotgun, Pistol and Rifle. Pistol forget about but Rifle and Shotgun
    should be no trouble doing a days shoot.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

I have been to Midlands good few times now and you can rent a .22lr, get insurance, 1 target sheet with 6 bulls on, and 50 rounds for €27.50 Great fun and you won't see the time passing by. Extra 50 rounds at €4.50. I often shoot 150 rounds over 3/4 hours, including plenty of chat with the members thrown in as well. It takes me about hour and half to travel from Kilkenny, it will be about the same maybe less from Dublin, but its well worth it.
    I'm now getting a CZ 452 Style .22lr, ordered from Duffy's and will join Midlands this summer. Good cheap fun try it.

Advertisement