Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista SP 1 officially released

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Microsoft strongly recommends using Windows Update to download and install Windows Vista SP1 on single PCs:

* The download size from Windows Update of Windows Vista SP1 for x86 is 65 MB (compared to 450 MB from the Microsoft Download Center).
    * The download size from Windows Update of Windows Vista SP1 for x64 is 125 MB (compared to 745 MB from the Microsoft Download Center).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Raekwon wrote: »
    * The download size from Windows Update of Windows Vista SP1 for x64 is 125 MB (compared to 745 MB from the Microsoft Download Center).

The 64bit SP1 was released 2 weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Balls. Paid Technet subscriptions only atm.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Balls. Paid Technet subscriptions only atm.:(
    Ah bugger, sorry. At work at the min, so didn't check to see if the links in the subscribers or non-subscribers section were the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

My system doesn't detect it on MS Update yet and I read somewhere that it won't roll out on *Automatic* updates until early April. How long does a brother have to wait to get his SP1? :pac:

Edit: Here's another download link for the impatient (it's bigger because it has all the hotfixes released for Vista over the year as well as the new ones, or something like that)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&DisplayLang=en

• Advertisement

64bit FTW, can't honestly say i've noticed any difference tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I have noticed that I'm getting much better throughput on file transfers over my wireless LAN since SP1 went on (x64 here). Going from about 1.4MB/sec to approx 2.4MB/sec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I've been on a RC version for ages now, is there any difference between the RC and the final? I downloaded it and installed it today anyhow, just wondering if there are any 'extra' fixes over the version i got last year (RC1 or whatever) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

2Scoops wrote: »
    My system doesn't detect it on MS Update yet and I read somewhere that it won't roll out on *Automatic* updates until early April. How long does a brother have to wait to get his SP1? :pac:

Edit: Here's another download link for the impatient (it's bigger because it has all the hotfixes released for Vista over the year as well as the new ones, or something like that)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&DisplayLang=en

Nah, it's showing up for me in Windows Update right now. I have your regular business OEM version :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

just got it installed from Windows Update... hope it didn't break anything... :p

Marty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Hmm...all the more reason to do a fresh install and try out 64bit this time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Download link for the X64 version is here btw - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=874a414b-32b2-41cc-bd8b-d71eda5ec07c&DisplayLang=en

Decided to go for that instead of Windows Update, as I'm constantly formatting my pc so it'll be handy to have for the next time... (shame you can't slipstream them like you could with 2K & XP)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

tman wrote: »
    Download link for the X64 version is here btw - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=874a414b-32b2-41cc-bd8b-d71eda5ec07c&DisplayLang=en

Decided to go for that instead of Windows Update, as I'm constantly formatting my pc so it'll be handy to have for the next time... (shame you can't slipstream them like you could with 2K & XP)

No slipstream? Are you serious??
    Ah balls!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Windows update doesnt show sp1 for me, any ideas why?

SickBoy wrote: »
    No slipstream? Are you serious??
    Ah balls!!

Microsoft have said it is not possible with sp1 because of the servicing layer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Dave6195 wrote: »

There's a couple of ultimate machines here that I tried this morning and it doesn't show when I run windows update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Do you have any of the pre release versions (Beta, RC1/2) installed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

They're blocking it from systems with incompatible drivers. I updated my sound card driver and it appeared afterwards.

Here's the official list of reasons from MS:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Yeah my sound driver (Dell OEM Audigy 2 ZS) is on the list of drivers that will block SP1 from appearing. Problem is that Creative have no newer drivers and Dell never released any for Vista (Dell 8400 came with XP). Boo urns!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Microsoft have said it is not possible with sp1 because of the servicing layer

i've got a slipstreamed version ;)

updated the vista machines in work without much issue today, and my second x32bit machine at home. Personally, i've noticed a huge difference on my x64 machine. Transfer rates have shot up when moving files between HDD's.

• Advertisement

Word has it they'll probably be distributing updated drivers for the devices involved via Windows Update, then once they're installed SP1 will be available to the affected people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

SP1 cluster f$@Ked my laptop :( , system restore don't even work.

Stephen wrote: »
    Word has it they'll probably be distributing updated drivers for the devices involved via Windows Update, then once they're installed SP1 will be available to the affected people.
    Be surprised if MS release drivers for my sound card. If Creative hasn't updated the drivers since this time last year I don't see why MS would either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Jackz wrote: »
    SP1 cluster f$@Ked my laptop :( , system restore don't even work.
    Can you give a teensy bit more information than that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Not seeing the SP1 update either, possibly due to the driver issue mentioned earlier. All my drivers seem to be out of date according to that list, yet I can't find any updated ones on windows update, system update or anywhere else.

BigEejit wrote: »
    Can you give a teensy bit more information than that?

I installed the service back from windows update, it asks to reboot after installing via the update gui and then as it's rebooting needs to complete 3 steps at a holding screen, it completed two, rebooted and then says its missing a file neccessary to boot, winload.exe. It instructs you to repair, repair doesn't work. Try using last good configuration or any restore point and you get the same message or another file that's missing. If you google you will see a bunch of people have had the same problem.

Wow. What a cock up on their part!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Stephen wrote: »
    Wow. What a cock up on their part!
    You sound surprised? Microsoft are hopeless.

Well that's a well thought out response. :rolleyes:

No two systems are the same, so no matter how much testing MS do, there will always be someone for who the update doesn't go correctly. You can't account for every possible installed software/device/config/setup/hardware combination.

No matter who releases an update/patch (Apple, Ubuntu, Redhat, etc) there will always be people for whom it doesn't work. It's not just Microsoft.

• Advertisement

irlrobins wrote: »
    Well that's a well thought out response. :rolleyes:

No two systems are the same, so no matter how much testing MS do, there will always be someone for who the update doesn't go correctly. You can't account for every possible installed software/device/config/setup/hardware combination.

No matter who releases an update/patch (Apple, Ubuntu, Redhat, etc) there will always be people for whom it doesn't work. It's not just Microsoft.

Your 100% correct but going by the thousands of responses on some Microsoft blogs this affected alot of people. There were plenty of IT guys who had SMB customers with update set to install anything that becomes available who were called by customers with a cyclical reboot after step 2 or a black screen with the error message I received. I got the impression that the sp1 offered to me via update was fixed for this problem as it had been reported earlier when sp1 was only available from technet. Anyhoo I lost nothing but time.

Advertisement