Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista SP 1 officially released

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Pegasus15

I got my new computer last Friday, and have been using Vista since then. When SP1 came out, I downloaded and installed it from Windows Update. Now, is it just me, or is it still exactly the same? Maybe I'm just missing stuff, and I did hear that it's all background updates, but man... I can't see any difference at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Jackz wrote: »
    There were plenty of IT guys who had SMB customers with update set to install anything that becomes available
    IT guys fault for setting it that way. No decent admin will ever allow updates to auto download and install. They'd download on a dev setup and test.
    I got my new computer last Friday, and have been using Vista since then. When SP1 came out, I downloaded and installed it from Windows Update. Now, is it just me, or is it still exactly the same? Maybe I'm just missing stuff, and I did hear that it's all background updates, but man... I can't see any difference at all.
    You won't 'see' any difference, it's mostly security and performance updates. It's not like a new theme or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

according to the microsoft website, SP1 will be available on automatic updates from mid april
    In mid-April, SP1 will automatically download and install on Windows Vista–based PCs that have automatic updating turned on. This is the easiest and most convenient way to update a Windows Vista–based PC, and we strongly encourage using this method. You can, however, download and install Windows Vista SP1 manually from the Microsoft Download Center.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/sp1.mspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Pegasus15

irlrobins wrote: »
    You won't 'see' any difference, it's mostly security and performance updates. It's not like a new theme or anything.

Yeah, I know that. But XP SP2 had a fair few noticeable differences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just did SP1 install on Home Basic machine, no traumas as far as I can tell. :)

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

:( For some reason SP1 is not showing up in windows update for me... I updated my sound driver (via Dell Support Center) but still no luck..

I have no idea what drivers i am short of, so looks like i'll have to wait... :(

EDIT: No wait, it has appeared, and i did nothing... Let's see how this goes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

It wasnt showing up for me on updates either , I went to the download site and downloaded the standalone version ( I want to slipstream my disc anyway ) and installed it , it took the best part of two hours and installed fine.

One thing I did notice , I was transferring data to my WD passport drive , and it was running at about 6MB/sec before , it flies along now at about 28MB/sec , big improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Full list of all the fixes and improvements in SP1 here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Jackz wrote: »
    I installed the service back from windows update, it asks to reboot after installing via the update gui and then as it's rebooting needs to complete 3 steps at a holding screen, it completed two, rebooted and then says its missing a file neccessary to boot, winload.exe. It instructs you to repair, repair doesn't work. Try using last good configuration or any restore point and you get the same message or another file that's missing. If you google you will see a bunch of people have had the same problem.
    Yikes, I'll take a backup before I go for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

mathias wrote: »
    It wasnt showing up for me on updates either , I went to the download site and downloaded the standalone version ( I want to slipstream my disc anyway ) and installed it , it took the best part of two hours and installed fine.

Don't think slipstreaming service packs is possible with Vista unfortunately (yet, anyway...)

I've noticed a great increase in speed when copying from one HD to the other, very pleased with that improvement :)

• Advertisement

Just ran my second SP1 install on my HTPC , and this time it was scary , it hung twice on reboot , once after stage 1 , and once again after stage 3 , after stage 3 and a forced re-set , I got a " windows did not start .... please run a repair " screen , I crossed my fingers , hit re-set again , and it booted up , and gave me a " Vista SP1 install successfull " screen , Whew !

Nervous times , but its all right now , so no harm done !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds like I got off lightly! It warned of an hour to install but took no more than 20 mins.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I'd no problems with mine using the large 434 MB file from MS. I was running the beta up untill now. The only thing I notice is the file transfer is a lot quicker. Backup important stuff before you install though.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Is this available on disc at all? If I try to dowload this with my dial up connection I'll be at it until Christmas...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

genie wrote: »
    Is this available on disc at all? If I try to dowload this with my dial up connection I'll be at it until Christmas...:(

Did a quick google, no sign of one (although apparently microsoft do normally eventually offer it on cd for free [or with just postage costs]) but what you could do is get a friend to download the stand alone installer, stick it onto a usb stick or dvd or whatever and give it to you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Quick question ... if I download the SP1, I have home premium. Can I run this on my bro's laptop, he has basic edition?

Get your bro to get the update via microsoft update, it's the quickest way of getting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Well thats the thing ... he has vodafone bb. - which will take an age barring a miracle of staying connected. so I figured id pop it on a usb drive and have him run it from there.

ah right, yea should be fine. Teh Sp1 download package contains all the possible updates. Using Microsoftupdate only downloads the required updates. Still, I would have thought the vodafone 3G BB would be able to download this quickly enough as teh average size is only 65Mb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I did a backup of my Vista Pc and got SP1 via windows update .... no problems at all. I have not noticed any faster throughput when copying files, but at least everything still appears to be working fine :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Still waiting fo it to show up on windows update for my laptop. Probably end up creating a slipstreamed DVD and reinstalling anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Tried the download of SP1 from the microsoft download site but it refused to install. I have updated BIOS and all drivers I could yet it came up saying that "Changes could not be saved".

Grrrrr..... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 suicra05

In the process of buying a new PC. Is it worthwhile going to Vista at all as it seems to still have performance/install issues. Should I stick with the old reliable windows XP ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

suicra05 wrote: »
    In the process of buying a new PC. Is it worthwhile going to Vista at all as it seems to still have performance/install issues. Should I stick with the old reliable windows XP ?
    xp = staying in the past imo

For a new pc , Vista is the way to go , most people having trouble here , including me , its the older gear on the PC's thats giving the trouble , in my case its a creative audigy 2 platinum pro , with a breakout box , that I used to use for recording.

Creative couldnt be arsed updating the drivers for this now expensive paperweight.

Im ditching it soon for a Terratec , who do have decent Vista drivers.

Vista is as solid as a rock for me , I havnt seen a blue screen for a year or more , and with any Windows install that has to be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Not showing for me on WU but I'm assuming it's cos of my modded gpu drivers; I've got an optional driver update available on WU but they they are months out of date.

I'll hold off and do a 64bit install in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

didn't show for me because i have modded Graphics drivers , installed the 400mb patch , it took about 20 mins and all is fine , transfers are back to Xp speed , it boots faster , and oddly i got about 20gigs of harddrive space back :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Bish Bash Bosh
    this just in , well not really

Vista Performance issues Sorted :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement