Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N95 or iPhone?

• 18-03-2008 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for opinions from those in the know - wanting to pick up either an unlocked iPhone or N95 off eBay. Which would you say is best and what are the major differences between the two?

Also, if I did choose to go for the N95, is there any major difference between the standard one and the 8GB variety (other than the added 8GB capacity I mean?

Muchos gracias.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Apples and Oranges, tbh. What are you looking for in a phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Pininfarina

Apples and Oranges, tbh. What are you looking for in a phone?

I'm looking mainly for a phone with 802.11g connectivity, a good web browser and the option to install custom apps.

The iPhone looks a lot nicer... I'm shallow, I know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

I'd go for the iPhone if you're after something with a good browser - the bigger screen, and the better interface for browing is a big plus, having used both phones.

The only downside is no flash support, only youtube.

Also, once jail broken the selection of third party applications is amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

if you want a phone that's packed with features go for the n95. if you want a pretty phone with wifi, a good browser and not much else, go for the iphone

as aidan says, apples and oranges

i don't think you can install custome apps on the iphone but i could be wrong about that

edit: i see cian clarke has corrected me. i really should read the whole thread :D

does jailbreaking void the warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Pininfarina

Any difference between the standard N95 and the 8GB variety other than the added 8GB?

Also, can the iPhone do GPS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Most of the 'higher end' Nokias such as the N95 have a slow operating system and poor software and crash more than they should. It's vastly over-rated in my opinion.

can the iPhone do GPS?
    No.
    Yes.

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/iphone.pdf
    This warranty does not apply: (a) to damage caused by use with non-Apple products; (b) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, flood, fire,
    earthquake or other external causes; (c) to damage caused by operating the product outside the permitted or intended uses described by Apple; (d)
    to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized
    Service Provider (“AASP”); (e) to a product or part that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (f)
    to consumable parts, such as batteries, unless damage has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (g) to cosmetic damage, including but
    not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; or (h) if any Apple serial number has been removed or defaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Sam Vimes wrote: »

yes if you send the phone back to apple in its jailbroken state then they could/would refuse your warranty cover but you can just un do the jailbreak and send it back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Bard wrote: »
    Most of the 'higher end' Nokias such as the N95 have a slow operating system and poor software and crash more than they should. It's vastly over-rated in my opinion.

I have to say that the N95 8GB is lightning fast with the Nokia v15 firmware, and is far far more responsive then any other phone I've used. The standard firmware on many yes, are quite sluggish like the E61, 6680 (old type). Many issues with Nokias can be resolved by dumping the operator branded firmware and getting the native stuff from Nokia.

Really, not even a second to open contacts (it is as instant as pressing the physical button, immediate display change to the Contacs/Messaging,e tc., ), it feels instant compared my older phones with S60.

Differences between N95 and N95-2 (8GB)
    - battery is increased to around 30% more. I get two-three days on it, which is around as good as the stock 1500mAh with the E61 (currently the largest battery on most phones for sale NOkia or otherwise). The N95-2 has 1200mAh, vs the N95-1's 950mAh.
    - built in 8GB. No SDHC slot, so 8GB is what you get. The N95-1 has an SDHC slot so could theoretically take the 12-16-32GB cards when they come out.
    - N95-2 has bigger display (by 0.2" if it means much to you)
    - N95-2 has 128MB internal RAM, which is double the N95's 64MB. This definitely aids in runnign multiple applications.
    - N95-1 has a lens cover, omitted from the N95-2. Pointless move by Nokia
    - Apparently some problem with the original slider coming loose was fixed with N95-2.
    - the screen really is lovely on the N95-2, but same res as N95-1.

iPhone has no 3G, no video calling, no HSDPA 3G broadband (3.5G). That was enough to put me off. I think the technology in the N95-2 is about as good as it gets right now, as only a few other phones available on contract support HSDPA (Nokia E90, SE K850i, N95-1/2, can't think of any others).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

FWIW you could also check out the HTC Touch-Cruise/Polaris.

I haven't got one yet (but will soon though).
    From all the reviews i've read however it is apparently one of the best devices out there:

Windows Mobile 6- most customisable OS.
    Theoretical max storage of 32gb. Currently expandable with 8gb memory.
    Proper GPS.
    HSDPA.
    Wifi.
    FM radio.
    400mhz processor.
    HTC TouchFLO interface- not unlike iphone interface.
    3mp camera.
    130g weight.
    15mm thick.

Couldn't resist spoiling the N95/iphone party, sorry. :)
    There are other phones out there besides these two tbh. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

As somebody who has played around with "smartphones" for the past, oh, I dunno, 8 years (anyone remember the Ericsson R380?), I think I have a fairly broad perspective on such devices.

I played around with the N95 a week or two ago. I was smitten. It's the standard enough Nokia interface, with buttons and menus and nice slidey things. It plays videos, music and has gps. Lovely stuff. I made up my mind there and then...

...that was until i got to play around with an iPhone. Let's be honest here - the specs aren't up to much on the iPhone. My Nokia 6300 has pretty much the same features, plus is has an FM radio, which the iPhone doesn't.

But the one thing that swung it for me was the user interface - it's simply gorgeous. Achieving the simplest of task is trivial. Again, as somebody who has used a Windows Mobile smartphone with a stylus, there is no comparison to using your finger (now there's a quote). I've even used the iPhone this morning to do a bit of moderating on the BGRH forum (now try doing that on any Nokia).

The bottom line is, you have to decide what you need in a phone. Do you need GPS? Do you need a 5Mp camera? Do you need and FM radio? I didn't.

Do you like pretty pictures and cool animations? Do you want an entertainment-slanted phone? Do you want a near-desktop internet experience on your phone?

For me, the shallow, pretty-picture-loving person that I am, I was, and still am, awed by the iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

mkennedy wrote: »
    3mp camera.
    Couldn't resist spoiling the N95/iphone party, sorry. :)

N95 and 8GB has a 5 MP camera. Quality IS amazing.

I do miss my XDA / XDAII though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

As a N95 owner I think Tom Dunne summed it up well.

The N95 is overflowing with features but isn't the most aesthetically pleasing to look at and can also be a bit clunky to operate, although the latest firmware is a massive improvement.

For me, video capture along with picture messaging are a feature I can't do without so i'm happy with my lot.

Keep an eye out for the N96 btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

I own an N95 and bought the iPhone yesterday. It's a lovely phone and interface, no doubt it, but I'll be giving the iPhone to my sister as she wants one. I'm not parting with my N95 - I use ALL of the features on it on an almost daily basis and would miss it terribly. The only aspect of the iPhone that I wish was on the N95 is the bigger screen - would be great for watching TV shows/movies.

(There's a new firmware v21 for the N95-1 coming out soon with flash lite 3.0 support so you can watch youtube videos etc in the browser. If you can't wait that long, there's a 3rd party app called mobitubia that does the same job as the YouTube widget on the iPhone.)

Ardent wrote: »
    I'm not parting with my N95 - I use ALL of the features on it on an almost daily basis and would miss it terribly

Not looking to pick holes in your statement but have you gotten the VPN client to work? If so, care to share? What VPN server?

Is that a genuine question or are you just trying to be funny?

If you have tried getting the VPN client working on the N95, you would know it's a genuine question.

Many have tried very hard to get it working, few have succeeded. Mainly because it only works with Nokia's VPN appliance. Although you can trick it to work with others, it is proving difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Bard wrote: »

Also, if I did choose to go for the N95, is there any major difference between the standard one and the 8GB variety (other than the added 8GB capacity I mean?

The N95 has a reputation for being a bit clunky and having poor battery life. The N95 8Gb however is a big improvement, so far no lag or crashing on mine.

I'll gladly admit that neither N95 is pretty to look at. I can't say i find the iPhone pretty to look at either though.

The only absolute advantage i can see between the iPhone and the N95 8GB is that the camera on the N95 8GB has a very clear advantage.

xanthor wrote: »
    The only absolute advantage i can see between the iPhone and the N95 8GB is that the camera on the N95 8GB has a very clear advantage.

How can you overlook built-in GPS and sat nav on the N95??

Ardent wrote: »
    How can you overlook built-in GPS and sat nav on the N95??
    Because clearly he doesn't rate those as advantages. Not everyone wants all those features.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I also own both iPhone & an N95 8Gb. Altough they are seen as direct competitors I would would have a different view.
    iPhone has a great browser, really like the mp3 iPod interface. The N95 has great camera, but all other apps are not what you would say best in class. Bit of a jack of all trades device. As for the GPS I would think it a poor substitute for a Garmin, nice to have though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Combine a dataplan along with Google maps and you really have a super GPS for the N95.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Well, i've got a 16GB iPod Touch - and i'm going to soon have a NOkia N95 8GB so i think that'll be the best of both worlds.
    I dont mind that my iPod can't make phone calls to be honest - the Touch is still a fantastic device.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭AdrianC

Does the N95 have a touch screen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimmychin

<bold statement coming up>
    the iphone is the closest you can get to having a mac/pc in your pocket.

the user interface is 'untouchable' when compared to other devices as is the internet browser

so much so that facebook, ebay, google, bank of america have made sites dedicated for the iphone

i have a chess, blackjack, sudoku, mines, tetris, pool, solitaire, psp, nes, gba emulators installed

however wait for the games to be released using the accelorometer and touch screen - check apples website out for demo from electronic arts "the way gaming was meant to be"

the amount of apps coming out for it are unbelievable (most of them free so far)
    and third party apps will be officially unvieled in june

IMO there will be very little this 'phone' cannot do that the pc you are sat in front of now can do. if i was a software developer i'd get onboard now!

apple have pushed the bar up to another level in mobiles

</end bold statement>

the only thing i am guted about is the camera !
    ok, i could probably have lived with the 3mp (because its not size that matters lads) as the pictures are pretty good, but lack of a flash means taking pics indoors is not happening.

there will be a video recorder soon so i can wait for that.

the other missing component - gps - could do that with google maps (but it cost data rather than installed)

no 3g ? ah well, edge is quick enough for the odd time i need to go online but the future is a big free wifi cloud over all of us so why pay for data, just go to mcdonalds?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I use the n95, i don't have a second camera but I do have an iPod seperate. If your music collection is going to expand beyond the limit of the iPhone, or you intend to use your device as a camera, I would get get the N95. iphone is a beautifully designed and intuitive device though, it really comes down to what you want to use it for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i chose the iphone over the n95 for the following reasons.

* symbian running on high end phones always chugs along.
    * i hate slidy part phones, they always seem to break.
    * too damn chunky.

reasons for getting an iphone

* i could see how well it was going to be supported.
    * software v2.0 brings exchange support
    * SDK - know how to program? you can write your own apps.
    * safari browser is possibly the best mobile browser i've used.

i don't care for a camera really, if i want to take a photo i'll use my canon 400D.
    i don't care for a gps really, as i prefer to find out the old fashion way on how to get somewhere or use google maps if i get stuck ;).

it's very much apples and oranages though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

IrishTLR wrote: »
    Not looking to pick holes in your statement but have you gotten the VPN client to work? If so, care to share? What VPN server?

I've gotten onebridge working on it for my work mail (www.getonebridge.com)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

OK, this is clearly turning into a Nokia v Apple thread, so I'll bite:
    jimmychin wrote: »

Except for the total lack of a keyboard or usable Office applications,. if you want portable office apps that are in mobile phone sized devices you are better off looking at the Nokia E90 or HTC TyTN II type devices.
    the user interface is 'untouchable' when compared to other devices as is the internet browser

I actually think it's just another type of interface, like the Se, Nokias or Motorolas. It's not "untouchable" - some people like it, I don't at all!
    so much so that facebook, ebay, google, bank of america have made sites dedicated for the iphone

If they have, it's because the US companies mentioned have probably just discovered EDGE and mobile internet. Google and Facebook have had mobile-sized pages for phones for ages now (years?). It's likely that the iPhone is the first mass market internet capable phone in the US, but those websites are not specially made for it. Unless you also think that Apple.com is specially made for MacOS.
    i have a chess, blackjack, sudoku, mines, tetris, pool, solitaire, psp, nes, gba emulators installed

If you are playing Wipeout Pure on your iPhone I'll be impressed. You aren't though, and everything else is stuff that's been on S40 4 years ago. Are you taking the piss? Your post sounds more like a troll as I read it again.

the amount of apps coming out for it are unbelievable (most of them free so far) and third party apps will be officially unvieled in june.

The amount of third party apps for iPhone is impossibly tiny compared to Symbian or Windows Mobile platforms. There is virtually nothing available by comparison. What is this waiting until June for third party apps? Is this banned by Apple or something? How quaint.
    IMO there will be very little this 'phone' cannot do that the pc you are sat in front of now can do. if i was a software developer i'd get onboard now!

I appreciate that it can many things, but technology and capability wise it's a 4 year old phone wrapped up in a touch screen.
    apple have pushed the bar up to another level in mobiles

You are being sarcastic right? Sales are big in the US, but it's a bit of a backwards phone for Europe and Asia and the slow sales refect that. Comes in a nice box though. It's a fashion phone, like the Motorola RAZR V3. Old technology, new plastic around it.

the future is a big free wifi cloud over all of us so why pay for data, just go to mcdonalds?

the future is most definitely not wifi.

• Advertisement

IrishTLR wrote: »
    N95 and 8GB has a 5 MP camera. Quality IS amazing.

I do miss my XDA / XDAII though.

Yeah i just included the 3mp camera for completion tbh, not as a standout feature. :)
    I know the N95's camera is superior.

On the whole however, specswise it easily rivals the N95 or the iphone (but curiously lacks the hype of either :) ).

As the other more forthright poster stated in a less equivocal way ;) , this is by no means impressive. That's fairly basic tbh.

Again not that impressive.
    the other missing component - gps - could do that with google maps (but it cost data rather than installed)

Can't understand why people think Google maps is necessarily proper GPS- it's not. :)
    Google Maps will, with a GPRS/3G connection locate your position and will show directions on a map, but it won't offer turn- by-turn voice navigation ala real GPS.
    Most phones nowadays can use Google Maps so this is not impressive tbh.
    no 3g ? ah well, edge is quick enough for the odd time i need to go online but the future is a big free wifi cloud over all of us so why pay for data, just go to mcdonalds?

Free/cheap ubiquitous wifi would be cool but i wonder if it'll ever be a reality.
    A 3G/wifi combo is always preferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

@jimmychin,
    the iphone's has certainly a lot to write home about, but you seem a bit "enthralled"...

- you rave about the browser as if it were the first phone with one, yet when it comes to 3g, you ADMIT you only go online on occasion..."the odd time". So, lets be clear: a browser a little less good would really suffice if you had a proper keypad - that is if you don't just wanna look, but also write and post etc,,, somehow i don't see many people who really depend on the internet and email on the go drop their pda's and smartphones to switch to the iphone... You do not want to review and edit a 5 page document on it with THAT onscreen keypad; you do not want to check on your website's adminpanel with that keybad....

- your focus on games: get a DS?

- learn java, and write some apps... Oh, and you can programme your own symbian apps as well... Apple did not invent the ability to "make your own"!!!

- there are some really great umpc's out there that wipe the floor with the iphone, but most importantly: none of them will come close to replacing the laptop or pc until textentry is revolutionised... An onscreen keypad like apple's or nokia's 810's or touchpal is not yet "IT"!

- if wifi is "it"...again: stay with the ipod touch...or a ds with opera? Why squeeze in a phone?

- as to edge vs 3g...again, you're only online "the odd time"...there IS a big difference between edge and 3g/3.5g...and somehow I think you'll point that one out yourself once apple release the iphone 2!!!

I should add that I can think of a few features in n95 and other iphone "competitors" that I would prefer to onboard gps - how "lost" can we all get that we need gps in every device... But I.m sure once someone puts gps on the iphone, it'll be "the greatest gps of them all"!
    The cam on n95 is not the greatest for stills, in fact, as already mentioned, many 3mp cams reach similar results, but check out the video quality!!!

well, that's me... The iphone is great! It's gorgeous, but it hasn't reinvented the phone, nor the computer... It just redefined hype and marketing skills!(seriously, when mainstream media outlets like the guardian etc find space to announce the upcoming release of a phone's firmware update, you know hype has reached new limits!) For multitasking there are countless better alternatives! For texting/email "on the go" dito... For gps? Hehehe... For cam? For gaming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

hi all,

does the n95 8g have sat nav as standard?

And if not, how much to get it on it? i'm looking for a phone device with full european mapping.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

hi all,

does the n95 8g have sat nav as standard?

And if not, how much to get it on it? i'm looking for a phone device with full european mapping.

Thanks

Crazy idea - check http://www.nokia.ie/n95

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Crazy idea - check http://www.nokia.ie/n95

Whack BANG....

slapped down by notsoniceirishfella ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Whack BANG....

slapped down by notsoniceirishfella ;)

why, ohhhh, why do we have to smart arse's?
    I did look at the nokia site for this info - but it stated it had integrated gps and nokia maps application.

I did'nt understand if that meant it had sat nav like my BB does have navig8 software? Does it "turn for turn" tell you where to go when you put it up on the dashboard?
    And where do i find what countires its has on it maps if any?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 oriain

the iPhone is pure marketing IMO. the UI is sweet I will admit and it looks gorgeous but it's fairly lacking everywhere else. as said above it's an old phone with a touchscreen. Looks good but I wouldn't be bothered until the next gen hardware comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

As was said before, iphone is ancient technology wrapped in a fashion bag with a screen. Hugely over-rated.

I have both, yet am loathe to leave the N95 8GB behind, there's hundreds of apps for it and the connectivity is far superior, as is the camera. The iPhone is pretty, but useless for my work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i know i've said this before, but just for safely's sake

rememeber - they are just phones.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimmychin

@all that replied to moi.

yes i am "entralled" and have bought into all the media hype.
    i did say i was making a bold statement,
    i'm by no means saying the iphone is 'better' than the n95

it's just the best phone on the market FOR ME

and it excites me in everything i do with it.

i only referred to the old skool games (chess, pool) cos someone mentioned earlier you cannot install apps on it. i didnt say these were amazing, just that you can create/install anything on it.

we'll see in the future how much of a 'game' changer the iphone will have been.

and i said i only use edge the odd time which is why 3g never bothered me.
    i am always on the browser through wifi and its a great experience, just better than any mobile device on the market. (IMO)

it was just timing in the end, i wouldve got an n95 but at the time (nov) the iphone worked out cheaper (in the states).

if it was today, i think i'd 'settle' for the n95 at €170 (vodafone) rather than €400

yes the n95 video recorder is second to none and the 5MP camera w/ flash beats the iphone.

oh and the gps (the iphone does give cellular triangulation, not quite the same but tells me where i am and then i can plot turn by turn navigation to my destination if need be. i'm a bloke though so i dont get lost :)

anyhoo, a wiseman once told me...

“Few things done beautifully beats many things done like crap.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

jimmychin wrote: »

really? Any ideas when? It's one of the main things that bothers me about the iPhone (I have one).....

Another ridiculous thing is that you can't transfer files via bluetooth -- absolute pain in the arse!

And just want to point out that the camera is great on the N95, and the video recording is sublime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

@jimmychin...
    Fair enough!
    but your browser comments made me think: they should all include a second browser like om that doesn't take 4 minutes to half-load cnn when you're outside 3g or away from wifi...(the way e61, e.g., came with 2 seperate browsers - though that wap browser didn't do much hehehe...). It's, imho, not acceptable that with poor reception you have to switch off images etc to at least get to load a site - or rely on a 3rd party program... But it's not a perfect world!
    anyway...glad you like it!

Advertisement