Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Nation, Bray, anyone had any dealings?

Options
  • 18-03-2008 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has had any dealings with Car Nation. I've seen their cars the past few weeks on Carzone and the seem to offer very good deals. There are a couple that have caught my eye at the moment, so was wondering are they a decent reliable company to deal with.

Thanks

Marky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Seem to remember a few people on here recommending them. Dont remember any bad feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭markymac

Thanks Stekelly

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

My wife got her car there - it was pretty clean, but needed a service soon after - i.e. the brake warning light came on a day or two after picking it up. I think the warranty was pretty minimal, but we never had cause to use it. Not a big deal though, and they seem to rely on just pricing the cars well, and turning over quickly.

At the time, the car we got seemed to be going for €500 - €1000 more elsewhere (trade and private), so we did well enough as we weren't trading in. They've just expanded into the garden centre that was there before, so there's probably a lot more stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Great guys to deal with (Lorcan is the owners name, Paul's his right hand man) and no messing around I've found. I've bought a few cars off him for folks in work and he's always been fair and straight up about a cars condition and so on. He's not a money hungry fecker and will acknowledge anything that might need work, most importantly, price it accordingly. He's never shoved a car on me either, at times encouraging my shopper to wait a couple of weeks for something that really put a smile on their face.

Can't recommend them highly enough to be honest, but make sure you get someone to give the cars a once over for you if you're interested, as they're a reasonably high volume/low margin dealers and don't have a fully stocked and staffed service centre. I know he'll usually do an NCT guarantee on anything that's awaiting a test too if that' relevant.

Hope that helps,

Gil

PS: Don't be afraid to ask for a few quid off if something needs doing - Lorcan will generally oblige unless he's already worked it into the equation when setting the price.

PPS: That bit in some ads about no trade-ins and price not negotiable is quite possibly targetted at me. :eek:

PPPS: Before anyone suggests it, I'm not on a kick-back either. I just enjoy dealing with someone who cuts a fair deal and doesn't give me any headaches or doubts about what I might be buying for someone I have to work with day in/day out in the dayjob. ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Mate bought a car there a while came with no warranty which leads me to believe its gonna break down soon.

• Advertisement

They don't 'do' warranty. They've no service depot so they couldn't back it up without having to pay lots to a garage to cover their warranty work. As mentioned earlier, their pricing is very good and takes this into account.

Also as mentioned before, get someone to check out any car you're going to buy if you don't know what you're doing yourself.

They have to give a 3 month engine and gearbox warranty I believe?

I didn't find them that good to deal with, but we did alright out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭lizzyd66

I rang him about selling a car to him - seems a decent enough bloke. He was saying that he would give me €2K under the lowish price on car zone for my car - I'm sure you could negotiate a smaller margin depending on the car but at least gives you an idea of his margins.

lizzyd66 wrote: »
    I rang him about selling a car to him - seems a decent enough bloke. He was saying that he would give me €2K under the lowish price on car zone for my car - I'm sure you could negotiate a smaller margin depending on the car but at least gives you an idea of his margins.

And don't forget that his offer would have to leave room to add his margin, then the VAT, and still be priced competitively....I'd guess most of that would be for the VAT.

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    And don't forget that his offer would have to leave room to add his margin, then the VAT, and still be priced competitively....I'd guess most of that would be for the VAT.
    What VAT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I went to see if he'd by my first car, a nissan 96 Micra off me, I think he offered me 1,000 for it at the time, I bought it for 2,800 and it was only a year old so I said no thanks and sold it to my neighbour for more than double the 1k. Obviously he has to make a margin yeah, but I was offered €1,500 off another dealer not so far away. So I'm guessing they buy cars cheaper than others so can sell them on competitively.

It was hilarious though, I got myself into a tight spot when I drove in (this was when he just had the little place where the stables used to be (is that what was there years ago? I think it was!) and he saw I was just a learner at the time and he offered to reverse it out for me and he must have reversed out onto the main road at about 30kmph, haha, cars swerving out of his way and everything. I took my car and ran :D

Is it not the case that if he buys a car for say 10k from a private seller, he'd need to add his mark-up and then the VAT on top? Say something like €10,000 to buy a car for cash from a private seller + €500 profit = €10,500.

He can't sell the car for that as he's VAT registered, so he'd need to add 21% VAT on top, which totals €12,705. So paying approx. 2k below the low end selling price of the vehicle in question (and making a few assumptions of course) would appear to be quite a good deal, all things considered, no?

Sure, it's not the best option for someone selling a car privately to do so to the trade, but you really wouldn't do that anyway unless you're absolutely desperate to move a car on quickly. Does that make sense? I'm open to correction.....and aware we may be O/T now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Bought from them last year; wifes car. Top spec and full history for less than a lot of poor alternatives we'd seen. Got a fair price and any niggles with the car were addressed quickly.
    Noticed a very small oil leak on a turbo seal on the last day of the 3 mth warranty. It took over a month to find the time to get it sorted (timing issues on both our parts) Lorcan honoured the warranty & we finally had the repair done about 6 weeks outside the warranty period.

Couldn't fault them really - they're certainly a low margin/high turnover outfit but I'd trust them a lot more than most in the trade.

Is it not the case that if he buys a car for say 10k from a private seller, he'd need to add his mark-up and then the VAT on top? Say something like €10,000 to buy a car for cash from a private seller + €500 profit = €10,500.

He can't sell the car for that as he's VAT registered, so he'd need to add 21% VAT on top, which totals €12,705. So paying approx. 2k below the low end selling price of the vehicle in question (and making a few assumptions of course) would appear to be quite a good deal, all things considered, no?

Then VAT could be paid many times for the one car though - I'm pretty sure it's just his margin he adds on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I went to have a look at what they have on carzone... silly me clicked on Wicklow to find the dealers.
    Of course Bray is in dublin!! What was I thinking??

ShayK1 wrote: »
    I went to have a look at what they have on carzone... silly me clicked on Wicklow to find the dealers.
    Of course Bray is in dublin!! What was I thinking??

Well, that area is technically in Dun Laoghaire / Rathdown cc, so they're not completely wrong! I would do the same if I were located there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

eoin_s wrote: »
    Well, that area is technically in Dun Laoghaire / Rathdown cc, so they're not completely wrong! I would do the same if I were located there.

True, the county border is a few hundred yards further towards the bustling metropolis of Bri Cualainn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

They do seem to have nice well priced cars. Perhaps I'll look into upgrading mine in the near future too

As I said, we were cash buyers, so we got a good deal - don't know what sort of trade-in prices he gives, but it probably works out OK.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Overall I think people are happy with them. I'll call up and have a look around a the couple of cars that interest me.

Thanks again.

Marky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Sure, it's not the best option for someone selling a car privately to do so to the trade, but you really wouldn't do that anyway unless you're absolutely desperate to move a car on quickly. Does that make sense? I'm open to correction.....and aware we may be O/T now.

Just to clear up...he does have to add VAT but he also gets to offset against the assumed VAT he paid when he bought the car. So if he gave paid €10,000 for a second hand car he can log that as €7,900 + €2,100 VAT on his books. Then if he sold the car for €12,000 that would be €9,480 + €2,520 VAT. So he would have to pay the revenue the VAT on the profit (€2,000) of €420.00 which is the difference between the VAT he paid and the VAT he received when selling. So the sale is worth €1,580 to him.

Obviously this is only a gross amount that still has to go towards his operating costs and then be taxed.

Robertr wrote: »
    Just to clear up...he does have to add VAT but he also gets to offset against the assumed VAT he paid when he bought the car. So if he gave paid €10,000 for a second hand car he can log that as €7,900 + €2,100 VAT on his books. Then if he sold the car for €12,000 that would be €9,480 + €2,520 VAT. So he would have to pay the revenue the VAT on the profit (€2,000) of €420.00 which is the difference between the VAT he paid and the VAT he received when selling. So the sale is worth €1,580 to him.

Obviously this is only a gross amount that still has to go towards his operating costs and then be taxed.

Ah, that's interesting. I didn't realise VAT was applicable on 2nd hand goods...

eoin_s wrote: »
    Ah, that's interesting. I didn't realise VAT was applicable on 2nd hand goods...

MMmm, yeah - It's certainly interesting if that's the case. Does that mean a VAT registered trader gets to record VAT paid, even without a VAT receipt from a private seller? Wow. Kind of open to abuse....But then again, of course it is! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

steve06 wrote: »

Actually, just saw that this morning while waiting for the bus. Wonder why no trade-ins though.
    Price is NOT negotiable and No trade ins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He sure does have lotsa "bargins" and "stunners"

Mike.

steve06 wrote: »

Yeah, seen that one on carzone a while back, would love it only, I read so much bad press about alfa's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 littlenibbles

It's amazing how many bargins have just been traded in when most of his ads say no trade ins ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Just wondering if there's anymore comments/info on Car Nation, seen a car I'm interested in, at a very keen price, just hoping its now too good to be true.

Any further feedback appreciated.

Woody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Stay away from Car Nation in Bray at all costs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement