Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving a car after the NCT is up

Options
  • 18-03-2008 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi, anyone got any advice . My car tax is up at the end of March, and the NCT is due in mid April. I can't afford to actually get the car repaired to get thru the NCT, so I'm either going to leave it in the garden or sell it very cheap. My question is - would i be able to get it taxed for 3 months (Apr, May and June), and book the NCT test for a date in May or June. Anyone know if the NCT lets u boook a test quite far after the actual date the original NCT runs out. I was thinking if I was stopped by the Guards, it would be taxed OK, but the NCT would be out, but I'd be able to say "Oh yeah its booked in for it's test on blah blah blah date". What do u think ? The piece of junk is insured till December so I want to get all the use out of it I can. Thnx Mark

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

How would you get stopped by the guards if you were leaving it in your garden??:confused:

To answer your question, you can get the NCT done anytime you like (if the car was off the road). You could be done for driving to the test centre though.

You might get a part refund on insurance if you cancel the policy - depends on the insurance co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭lizzyd66

Why don't you pay the €40 and put it thru the NCT and at least then you'll know what needs to be done (would be helpful if selling). You might get a pleasant suprise and not need much done to get it thru a retest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

stevec wrote: »
    To answer your question, you can get the NCT done anytime you like (if the car was off the road). You could be done for driving to the test centre though.

FFS. Hilarious. Yeah the guards are waiting to pounce any anybody who has the nerve to drive their car to the test centre without an NCT :rolleyes: If that was the case You could be 'done' for driving to the test centre at any time. Would ya cop on.

Mods - no harm to set up a sticky on NCT questions ? The amount of posts every week asking if you can drive without NCT, do the cops enforce it, can I tax my car without NCT etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my nct has been out since end of feb (forgot they dont send out reminfders anymore) got test tomorrow, been driving around no probs, neighbour has been out since christmas got it done last week so i guess its not really enforced. but if you were caught doing something else they would add it to the pile of charges

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Sizzler wrote: »
    FFS. Hilarious. Yeah the guards are waiting to pounce any anybody who has the nerve to drive their car to the test centre without an NCT :rolleyes: If that was the case You could be 'done' for driving to the test centre at any time. Would ya cop on.

It's true, you're supposed to get it done before the old one expires.

In the last few years they haven't been enforcing it but they seem to be cracking down nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dublin40

NCT up since april 2007, just did it last week and passed. Stopped by one/two police in last year - NCT never mentioned - think as long as car was taxed and insured they were fine......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭campervan

my nct has been up since....2005 I think?! :rolleyes: ah well, luckily i have never been stopped for it but i do intend on getting it done soon. I was thinking the same as lizzyd - get it checked first then worry after about what needs to be done. the garage could do a whole load of work thats not necessary. I have so much that needs doing to it. But whats the deal with imported cars/MOT? - I got mine in the north in 2006 and it hadnt been done recently till then. when i rang the nct booking people yer wan said that it would only be valid for a few months? sorry i know this question has been asked before....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Its been mentioned that you could be in a spot of bother if you had a crash while not having a valid NCT, the insurance company could refuse to pay up for repairs to your car. I dont know if theres any truth in this. You can tax your car even if you have never NCT'd it. As for the test, I would tend to have it done before spending money on repairs. Why spend money where its not needed. My father has done this 3 times on a '95 corolla, he expected to fail each time but passed.

Advertisement