Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Adaptations/Conversions

Options
  • 18-03-2008 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

Can anyone on these boards advise me about some adaptations for a disabled driver??

I currently drive a Nissan Micra Automatic, but I am going to change over to a Ford Fiesta Automatic. The adaptations on my current car consist of(deep breath):Electric seat raiser, hand controls(including steering knob). I've noticed that I have a little bit of difficulty operating the switch for the wipers while holding onto the accelerator/brake lever at the same time. A "transfer bar" has been suggested to me, but I am not sure??

Any suggestions would be welcome.

MM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There are a couple of different options re: the wipers. sometimes they just screw an extension onto the lever so you can reach it from your accelerator control, or so you can use your left hand to move it.
    Sometimes they fit a switch, or switches to the end of the accelerator/brake lever.

Better Still:
    If you can go for a Fiesta Durashift "Ghia", it will have automatic wipers anyway. it's only €600 including VAT and VRT more than a Durashift "Steel" model, and has air conditioning and other bits too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There are a couple of different options re: the wipers. sometimes they just screw an extension onto the lever so you can reach it from your accelerator control, or so you can use your left hand to move it.
    Sometimes they fit a switch, or switches to the end of the accelerator/brake lever.

Better Still:
    If you can go for a Fiesta Durashift "Ghia", it will have automatic wipers anyway. it's only €600 including VAT and VRT more than a Durashift "Steel" model, and has air conditioning and other bits too.

Thanks for that. The dealer I spoke to(on recommendation from a non disabled relative)suggested that I go for the Fiesta Steel.

Get the Ghia, it'll only be marginally more expensive than the Steel once you take the VRT and VAT out of it. and the auto wipers and aircon should make your driving more enjoyable and easier.

Get the Ghia, it'll only be marginally more expensive than the Steel once you take the VRT and VAT out of it. and the auto wipers and aircon should make your driving more enjoyable and easier.

Thanks again, mate. By the way, do you have one yourself?

Nope. I just sell cars, so have to know a little bit about them!

• Advertisement

Nope. I just sell cars, so have to know a little bit about them!

Right ye are. Thanks.

For some "technological" reason, the www.ford.ie website will only let me "configure" the Fiesta Steel model? It won't let me choose any other ones to have a look at....?

Weird.

EDIT(19/03/08). I spoke to the car dealer again today, and he informs me that the Ford Fiesta Ghia is only done as a 5 door. :-(

Advertisement