Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel insurance claim help

Options
  • 18-03-2008 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Anyone able to help me out with this?

I put in a claim on my travel insurance as my wallet was robbed while in Oz. There was about 300euros worth of dollars in it. My cc was also taken and used before I could cancel it.

Anyway went the cops after cancelling my cards, told them every little detail and got a crime report number as the OZ cops wont give out a crime report (it has to be obtained under the FOI act at a cost of a few hundred dollars).

When I came back to Ireland I put in a claim on my travel insurance for the stolen money, with all receipts etc and the crime report number. They said they need the actual crime report, I said I cant get it as it cost a couple of hundred quid and would be uneconomical to pay that considering my claim is for 300euro. They then said without it they are not paying and told me it states in the policy that I’m responsible to pay all expenses required to get all the relevant information they need to asses the claim. Surely this is unreasonable?

I even have correspondence from the Oz cop through email that he has caught the person who stole my wallet, I’ve given another statement and the cop has told me the dates the person who stole my wallet is appearing in court. I have passed all the emails from the Oz cop onto the insurance but they don’t care, they just want the crime report (why I don’t know – its only going to contain info I told the cops).

Can anyone help me with this? It’s the principal more than the money, they know they have me but it just seems so totally unreasonable? Any ideas on how to get around this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not really - if that's what it says in your policy documents, that's what you agreed to when purchasing the policy and you don't really have much comeback. If they say they need a crime report, you have to get one.

Always read the policy carefully before purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

AFAIK under Insurance law it is not possible to enforce an insurance condition with which the claimant cannot reasonably be expected to comply. Seeing as the oz police wouldn't give out a police report and the cost of obtaining one will be about 2/3rds of the claim amount, this may be such a situation?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

You can reasonably comply. It may not be financially viable but it is possible to obtain the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

I think that you should be able to get a claim paid. Find out who the loss adjusters are on the policy and write a well worded factual letter quoting the claim number, cc'ing the letter to the insurer ? Did you buy online or through an intermediary. Pressure should be put on the seller too. I had a similar case a few years ago. The call centre kept giving me the standard line, I contacted the loss adjusters directly - as they were effectively deciding on the claim. I got it sorted out fairly easy on the phone and back to Irish to get their end sorted. It took a couple of calls, a bit of hassle but I got the payout less the excess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I paid extra to waive the excess. I bought the insurance with Blue insurance online, but am corresponding directly with AXA. I believe all the correspondance from the Australian cop contains more details than the crime report and should be more than sufficent. The crime report will only contain information I told them anyway.

What a load of crap, but im going to persist. i will defiently write a strong worded letter and see if that helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement