Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jogging during Pregnancy

• 18-03-2008 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi

Just wondering have any of you jogged through a pregnancy? I must add that while I am fairly fit I am also a quite slow jogger 10km takes me between 55 mins and an hour.

My consultant on first baby said it would be fine but I didn't take the risk with the result I kind of got out of habit of exercising and had a lot of work to do after baby was born not to mention feeling that I would have managed labour better if I was fitter. At beginning of second pregnancy now and facing same dilema.

Anyway would be interested to hear others experiences

TIA

Romily

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/03/sports/othersports/03runner.html

Paula is an extreme example but you might find this interesting. What a woman, what a race in New York after the pregnancy and what a beautiful baby she had too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Lila

Check out this blog on Runners World - http://runningfortwo.runnersworld.com/

She's well into her pregnancy now but go back in the archives and read her story from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Tingle wrote: »
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/03/sports/othersports/03runner.html

Paula is an extreme example but you might find this interesting. What a woman, what a race in New York after the pregnancy and what a beautiful baby she had too!!

I remember hearing she had a very difficult birth. She was in labour for a long time (even cracked a bone in her back). The doctors put it down to her being so fit. I do think she is an extreme case though.

Sonia O'Sullivan also trained through pregnancy. Not to the same level though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

I remember hearing she had a very difficult birth. She was in labour for a long time (even cracked a bone in her back). The doctors put it down to her being so fit. I do think she is an extreme case though.

Sonia O'Sullivan also trained through pregnancy. Not to the same level though

Its unusual that doctors would blame fitness on her having a difficult/long labour, the general consensus is that the fitter you are the easier/quicker the labour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Its unusual that doctors would blame fitness on her having a difficult/long labour, the general consensus is that the fitter you are the easier/quicker the labour.

This was mentioned on Fighting Talk last week and they put it down to the fact that she was so fit her muscles couldn't relax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I actually heard something about fit women having relative difficulty giving birth also but seriously I don't know if it is just poppycock or not.

Anyway, I don't think a professional athlete like Paula should be used as a typical example, she has professional medics, physios etc monitoring her every day!!

What I wouldn't do for a physio session every day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭Maars

My wife trains 5+ days a week, and did a fair bit of running before getting pregnant with #1. She kept the running up until the bump got too big and then she switched to using the stepper in the gym for less impact.
    She did 40minutes on the stepper the night before she gave birth. She had no difficulties at all and puts it down to staying fit.

She has stuck with the stepper since then and hasn't done that much running. As a result, having recently gotten pregnant with #2 she has decided to stay on the stepper throughout the pregnancy this time. So her rule of thumb is don't take up something new but don't cut back either.

Best of luck on the pregnancy Romily.

Maars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Romily

Hi All

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately Paula Radcliffe I am not but her story is a very interesting one. Maars I think your wifes approach sounds more my cup of tea. I have done a few light runs with no ill effects. My main goal is really to be fairly fit for the labour as I want to avoid the epidural this time and I know one might not be linked to the other but I would imagine that it helps to be fit for pushing etc etc.

Thanks again

Romily

Advertisement