Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping down?

Options
  • 18-03-2008 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Im doing Honours english maths irish french business chemistry and history.Im only in 5th year now but should i drop down to ordinary level irish to concentrate on my other subjects.Im aiming for high points and im well able to get them.I just feel its a bit of a burden to be honest.I like irish and all but not the study/homework of it???

Im fairly confident i can do very well in the rest of my subjects

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Fibonacci23

eoins2345 wrote: »
    Im doing Honours english maths irish french business chemistry and history.Im only in 5th year now but should i drop down to ordinary level irish to concentrate on my other subjects.Im aiming for high points and im well able to get them.I just feel its a bit of a burden to be honest.I like irish and all but not the study/homework of it???

Well i was doing seven honours in fifth year last year, (biology and geography instead of business and history) but i dropped to pass irish cos the workload got way too much. I'm aiming for medicine so i know what you mean. Alot of people think the whole "better to be safe than sorry if something goes wrong..." but me, i'm minimalistic... i think do your 6 honours and hammer them rather than be wishy washy in all seven.... remember 9 a1's has the same value as 6, so why waste your time!

But thats just my humble opinion of course ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Depends on how good your Irish is really. If you can get a C3 with a minimal amount of work, you should just do honours. What did you get in JC Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

Ya id prob be able ta get a c3 with minimal work but il def get better then that in the rest of my subjects
    Got a b in the junior

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

The Junior Cert means nothing for any subject. It all depends on how much work you can put in. If you feel confident in doing it, why drop down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

eoins2345 wrote: »

For history if you looking for a excellent grade in it just like the other subject for history alone you are looking at two hours a night and in addition the residue of your study for other subjects. It’s for higher level history. Did you start the second book yet in history yet ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

There is not a chance you have to spend 2 hours a night on history.Thats a ridiculous thing to say.I know the course is broad but its not that broad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Xhristy wrote: »
    Not really....A lot of the Irish is poetry and pros, which have to be learned off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

blue-army wrote: »
    Not really....A lot of the Irish is poetry and pros, which have to be learned off!

Ordinary level prose and poetry is on the higher level course, and chances are he'll have it all done in 5th year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

• Advertisement

Xhristy wrote: »

Yup, i dropped down after ONE MONTH in fifth year, and in my mocks i got an A1 in pass... Did i work for it? eh.... NO!

Pass is ridiculous, i even forgot to bring irish books with me on the morning of the exam so just studied maths! honestly, prepared to be bored if ur dropping...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Ordinary level prose and poetry is on the higher level course, and chances are he'll have it all done in 5th year.
    I got an A2 in HL Irish and didn't study the poetry at all and as for the prose, I just had a general gist of what was going on. Then again, I did all my schooling in Irish...

carlowboy wrote: »
    I got an A2 in HL Irish and didn't study the poetry at all and as for the prose, I just had a general gist of what was going on. Then again, I did all my schooling in Irish...

*swear word*

fair play...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

My thought exactly, im doing 6 hounours now and pass irish
    though to be fair ive been doing pass irish since 2nd year, never liked it and just do my other homework in the class
    I got 48% in my pre without opening a book and paying the odd bit of attention in class so I was very happy.

Basically it leaves me with time to study my other subjects and I think it is a good choice to cut off one subject.

Advertisement