Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liftin' Iron n Leanin' Out

Options
  • 18-03-2008 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭

OK guys so my goals are:

1) Lose the rest of my belly flab en route to a six pack
    2) Bulk up nicely

Stats:

Height - 5'9"
    Weight - 85kg
    Waist size (jeans) - 34 inches

I want to keep track of my diet and workouts so that I can ensure I am upping the ante with each workout and to get your feedback and comments, of course.

Tues 18 March:

Diet:

Breakfast - porridge, weetabix, two slices wholegrain brown bread toasted (one slice with marmalade), fruice orange juice

a little later - porridge with a v small amount of sugar

Workout: 1 hour

Warm up-

15 push ups
    15 prisoner squats
    15 push ups
    15 prisoner squats
    10 push ups

Main:

Barbell bench press 6 sets (3 x 10, 3 x 6)
    Dumbbell rows 3 sets x 10 reps
    Lat-pull down 3 sets x 10 reps
    Dumbbell squats 6 sets x 10 reps
    Barbell bicep curls 2 sets x 10 reps
    Military press 2 sets x 10 reps

15 mins bike - 6.7km (10 mins fast pace, 5 mins cool down)

Post-workout:

bowl of cornflakes
    three slices wholegrain brown bread with ham and a little full-fat mayo
    bowl of fresh avonmore vegetable soup
    small amount (literally 6 chips) oven chips with peas and chicken
    cup of black tea

A little later tonight I'll have a bowl of weetabix (2), or maybe a slice or two of brown bread.

Anyone got any ideas how many calories that looks like? Would ideally want my daily intake to be less than 2500kcal :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

Without guessing any of the Macro breakdowns in your diet, I can say that your diet consists of too many starchy carbs and not enough protein. Get some eggs, fish and more meat in there. Also some more veggies wouldn't go amiss.

You can track your Kcal intake on fitday.com. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Al_Fernz wrote: »
    Without guessing any of the Macro breakdowns in your diet, I can say that your diet consists of too many starchy carbs and not enough protein. Get some eggs, fish and more meat in there. Also some more veggies wouldn't go amiss.

You can track your Kcal intake on fitday.com. Hope this helps.

Yeah - my rule of thumb is to keep starchy carbs to breakfast time and to close to pre and post-workout, but looking back at yesterday if was fairly carb heavy - I'd normally eat more veg and throw in a plain yoghurt and nuts instead of the cereal (this is when I am working, I'm off this week so it has slipped a bit).

Not a very active day today - 30 minute intervals on bike outside. There was a fair bit of wind resistance and my glutes were pretty stiff after squatting yesterday, but was happy enough.

Diet-wise:

Breakfast: 2 slices wholegrain brown bread toasted, 1 with marmalade
    Porridge with honey
    2 Weetabix
    Fruice orange juice

Workout: the 30 min intervals

Post-workout: 2 slices wholegrain bread with ham and mayo

Dinner: Spuds with butter and sausages (fried, eek) and beans

Later evening: 4 Weetabix with a little honey

As mentioned, diet is a little different due to being off work, gonna be getting some plain yoghurt tomorrow to substitute for weetabix (which I never eat ordinarily).

Big workout coming up in the gym tomorrow too.

Pretty good workout today:

Warm up: 20 push-ups, 15 prisoner squats

Main: Stationary bike, 45 mins, 22.67 km

Going to up the cardio a bit over the next few weeks, the weeks up until week beginning April 14 will look like this:

Monday: high-volume weights session with some cardio (see Tues of this week for an example).

Tuesday: 45mins - 1 hour cardio. First 20 mins will be intervals, followed by moderate - high intensity cardio on bike.

Wednesday - MMA training for 2 hours

Thursday - as Tuesday.

Today pretty much identical to yesterday:

Warm up: Prisoner squats 3 sets x 15 reps
    Push-ups: 1 set x 15, 2 sets x 10 elevated reps

Stationary bike, 45 mins, 22.56 km.

Will do some bodyweight exercises tomorrow plus some more cycling.

Rest day Sunday as will likely be out Sat night, be hitting the weights hard again then on Monday.

• Advertisement

Resurrecting this - bit of a lay off and had a lingering cold but back flyin it now. Good weekend for training:

Friday: weights -

warm up on rower
    dbell bench flat and incline
    dbell squats
    dbell rows
    dbell fly
    lat pull downs

bike 30 mins approx

Sat:

bike 40 mins moderate pace with a few 50 second intervals, followed by:

10 mins run on treadmill - 1.3km (is that good after 40 mins bike)?

5 min warm down walk

Sun: approx 1 hr 20 min of tennis

Week ahead looks like this:

Mon - weights + cardio
    Tues - cardio (want to improve my running and cardio endurance a bit more)
    Wed - MMA class
    Thurs - weights

Also plan to get up in the morning and get a 25 min cycle in, wake me up, as well as my metabolism.

Today:

Feckload of lifting:

Flat bench press - approx 9/10 sets
    Incline bench - approx 8/9 set

Both with weights in the 12kg - 16kg range (dbells)

Dbell rows 8 sets (4 each arm) with weights in above range

Dbell military press 1 set x 8 with 12kg bells

One arm military press 2 sets x 8 with 12kg bells

Bicep curls 2 sets x 8 reps approx, with 12kg bells

5 mins bike cool down, stretches

All in all a heavy enough session on paper, 30+ sets. I didn't actually feel tired after it though (?) - wonder how I'll feel in morning. I haven't had DOMS of any consequence in ayyges so felt I needed to up the ante tonight...

Jaypers there's a hell of a lot less tumbleweed round these fitness logs part than usual - some influx of training loggers! It's the same story in my gym - noticeably more busy since late last week. That summer feelin is in the air!

Anyway, good session today:

Squats and lunges: Lots n lots of em. Approx 6/7 sets of weighted squats with dbells, 14kg each hand for 2 sets, 12kgs for the rest. Lunges 1 set bodyweight, 2 sets with 12kg bells.

Bodyweight squats - 6 sets x 15 reps approx

Bike: 40 mins moderate intensity

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Why don't you record the weights you lifted in the log? That way if you look back in 6 months you'll see if you are progressing or not.

BossArky wrote: »
    Why don't you record the weights you lifted in the log? That way if you look back in 6 months you'll see if you are progressing or not.

The weights are in the above post, albeit in a not very clear format;) But yeah, need to add them in to every post, that was just a slip - usually have them in there. In my entry for 07-04, does it look like I did a lot, sets wise? I felt volume was high there but I had no DOMS at all - think I need to up the weights - I'll be using 20kg bells next time and working my way up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I missed the weights the first time ;)

Yeah that is a lot of volume alright: approx 8 on both flat and incline bench seems a bit much. I would up the weight (as you said) to like 20-25kg and do 3 to 5 sets of 5 reps. Try heavier military pressing too perhaps. I suppose you just have to go by feel, not necessarily to failure... but heavy enough to be knackered after 3 to 5 sets.

I'm no expert though.

BossArky wrote: »
    I missed the weights the first time ;)

Yeah that is a lot of volume alright: approx 8 on both flat and incline bench seems a bit much. I would up the weight (as you said) to like 20-25kg and do 3 to 5 sets of 5 reps. Try heavier military pressing too perhaps. I suppose you just have to go by feel, not necessarily to failure... but heavy enough to be knackered after 3 to 5 sets.

I'm no expert though.

Cheers man, yeah defo think I need to up the weight - I have a tendency to underestimate how heavy I can lift but I had worked up to 20kg bells previously and would say I could easily do 3-5x5 with 20kg/22kg or even higher, so will do that next time and we'll see how many I can crank out overall.

Wed 9 April

MMA training - 1 hour. Involved

Warm up and stretches
    Push-ups maybe 4-5 sets of 15 reps
    Pad-work
    Sprint up 8 flights of stairs in the building we were training in! Wrecked!
    Back down in the lift and approx 20 mins of sparring, 3 min rounds

Thursday 10 April

1 hour of tennis - quads quite stiff since Tuesday

Tomorrow, Monday will be a total body heavy weights session, need to get a nice bit of volume in as won't get to gym again til Saturday, away for most of week.

Happy to report am seeing more changes in the mirror, triceps and shoulders have gotten bigger and more mass all over, also the belly definitely seems to have shrunk that bit more. Lot more definition! I should post up some photos soon, have one from June 07 where I just look FAT!!!

Today:

1 hour or so of weights:

20 push-ups warm up
    5 sets x 10 reps dbell flat bench- 18kg bells
    5 sets x 10 reps incline bench - 18kg bells
    5 sets x 10 reps dbell rows - 18kg bells
    2 sets x 15 reps bodyweight squats
    4 sets x 8 reps barbell squats - 40kg (could have gone a fair bit heavier but never really do barbell squats as it's just easier to dbell it as area is rarely free - so took it easy just to get form down)
    1 set x 6 reps dbell squats - 18kg bells
    1 set bicep curls - 14kg bells
    Lat pull-downs 2 sets x 12 reps@ approx 70kg

Good session, wanted to get a nice bit done as won't get back to gym again this week - will get some cardio in on Saturday most likely.

Right back into it today after last week when I was away with work and couldn't get to gym. Still ate pretty clean when away and am finding these days that junk/greasy food just doesn't appeal any more, even after a night of boozing (which I'm also content to cut down on too, incidentally).

Not a great session today though - was out of the office all day and didn't get some proper food into me before the gym, so energy levels were lower than usual-

Warm up- 30 push-ups, 1 x 20, 1 x 10 reps

Dbell bench:
    2 sets x 8 with 14kg bells
    3 sets x 6 with 18kg bells
    1 set x 5 with 20kg bells

Front raises: 2 sets x 8 with 6kg bells (never do these)
    Same with lateral raises

Incline dbell bench:
    4 sets x 8 with 18kg bells
    1 set x 8 with 20kg bells

Shoulder press:
    1 set x 8 with 16kg bells
    1 set 5 (approx) with 16kg bells

20 mins bike @ approx 130 HR

All in all not one of my better sessions, need to be more prepared food-wise tomorrow so that I have enough in the tank for a strong workout.

Today - 40 minutes stationary bike ~50-60% of max HR.

Tomorrow - MMA training. Nothing as good for fitness as some boxing training imo!

Right I'm knackered right now. 2 hours MMA training-

Warm up and stretches
    Drills
    Sparring

Sparring took up the bulk of the session. Hard bloody work, and didn't have as much energy as I normally would for the session - partially down to the weights session on Monday when I lifted a bit heavier than usual, plus I don't think I ate enough before training (think that has more to do with it).

It's also hard learning to box! Just getting used to the MMA style ain't easy, and I will reiterate that I am not surprised that boxers are among the fittest - if not the fittest, and most conditioned, athletes on the planet!

Few days off there as was away on a trip. Thought it would be exercise free but pleasantly surprised to realise I got a nice bit both on Friday and Saturday - Friday was an approx 45 min walk, moderate - fast pace, and Saturday walked from Heuston station to home which took 50 mins, moderate-fast pace again. So happy with that.

Also happy with workout today - I intend to mix things up a bit more.

Today was something like this:

Warm up 6 mins on bike fast pace, 2 mins fast on rower
    15 regular push ups, 10 wide, 10 close

15 bodyweight squats
    1 x 10 reps weighted squats 12kg bells

3 x 10 reps with 12kg bells dbell bench press
    dbell rows, 3 x 10 reps, 12kg bells

2 x 10 reps weighted squats - 12kg bells

10 mins crosstrainer - moderate pace
    20 mins bike, moderate-fast pace

Want to get more cardio in over the next week and adopt a more circuit style of training to get the heart rate way up - today involved lower rest periods and really got my heart pumping. I intend to do a little experiment and up the cardio significantly and do more circuits and see if it speeds up fat loss or not.

Today - 50 mins cardio:

20 minute intervals on bike, 5 min warm, then flat out for 30secs/1min, rest 90 seconds, repeat.

Rower: 7 mins fast pace, feckin tiring, should probably have done this before the cycling.

Treadmill: 3 min jog, don't like running-kinda blows! Made for the bike again.

Bike: 20 mins high intensity.

Some heavy weights tomorrow by gum. Got my copy of Starting Strength Vol 2 today - man what a beast of a book!

Food today:

Breakfast: Bowl of porridge with a little honey

Mid-morn: 2 plain natural yoghurts, half-handful of nuts

Lunch: Meat and veg, vegetable soup with 1 slice wholegrain bread

Mid-afo: Apple, cup of green tea

Later-afo: Wheatgrain sandwich of ham and cheese, 1 glass of Lucozade in pub, no beer as knew was heading to gym.

Post gym: 20g protein shake with water, 3 small tins of tuna with wholegrain slice of toast, 2 plain youghurts.

Comments on the food intake welcome. Am trying my darndest to lower carbs and up protein, mainly by cutting down on bread and cereal - have replaced cereal with yoghurt and nuts. Will aim to replace bread, which I use to fuel my workouts, with a banana and maybe a glass of milk.

Today - 35-40 minutes of weights and 50 mins cardio:

Warm up - 1 set x 15 wide stance push ups
    1 set x 10 narrow stance push ups

Weights:

Dbell bench: 16kg bells 2x10
    Dbell flat bench rows (what they called again, when you're lying flat face down on bench and rowing upwards?!) : 16kg bells 1 x 10
    Dbell rows: 16kg bells 2 x10
    Dbell incline bench: 16kg bells 2 x 10
    Dbell incline bench: 20kg bells 2 x 6
    Dbell bench: 20kg bells 2 x 6
    Dbell rows: 20kg bells 2 x 8
    Military press: 12kg bells 1 x 8 (tiring), 10kg bells 1 x 6
    Dbell bicep curls: 12kg bells 2 x 6 approx
    Tricep dips: 1 x 10 reps

Cardio:

40 mins on bike at moderate-fast pace
    10 mins at slower pace

Ends.

I'm finding the cycling fairly easy - could have gone on for far longer if I'd wanted, and that was having done nearly an hour of cycling on top of the weights. Think a 15-20 min burst on the rower or fast running on treadmill might be a better (and quicker) option...

Also gonna aim to be lifting 22kg bells from now on, need to start working my way upwards again...

Slowly but surely (I think!!) my abs are coming out to say hello, they're pretty shy but I think I can make them more extroverted over the coming weeks.....

• Advertisement

Today:

MMA training 1 hour. It's normally 2 hours but wanted to catch Champions League.
    Stretches and warm up then drills for a bit followed by 2 rounds of sparring. Def feel myself progressing, even as compared to last week. Holding my guard a LOT better and confidence when punching and in general is growing..

Tomorrow: Squats and cardio.

General comments: While I do seem to be making progress on the fat loss front, it seems painnnnfully slow sometimes. Standing in front of the mirror my belly is almost flat but there's still a nice bit of abdominal fat there, which is the last to go and the hardest to shift. I can make out the six pack shape on me though, the upper abs, especially in the morning. Also in the gym I find it hard to get tired out (a good sign in one way, I know, as it means I'm getting fitter and fitter!), need to push it more and more each time to make sure I'm not adapting too much.

Yesterday: Rest. Probably the first day in 3 or 4 months when I just came home from work and did nothing! Think I needed the break.

Today:

Warm up with 12 push ups with swiss ball (pushing down then bringing the ball in to the abs and back).
    Bodyweight squats

Weights:

Dbell bench...plenty of sets. Started with 18kg bells, moved to 20kg bells and then up to 22kg bells. Did approx 8-10 sets overall and alternated with squats 3 x 8 reps with the 20kg bells.

Then 4 sets of rows also with 18kg and 22kg bells. Also did 2 x 4 reps 60kg barbell bench. Lat pull down 70kg for 4 sets, 80kg for 2 sets. Bodyweight back extensions 3 x 10 reps.

After approx 3 sets on dbell bench went to barbell to see what I could crank out. Did what I mentioned above, reckon I'd have done a fair bit more if I had gone in fresh, without the dbells first. I'd say my 1RM on the bench is about 65kg, but not certain, only one way to find out next time I go!

Feeling kinda fried after today's workout - maybe its CNS exhaustion or something from upping the weight - Hanley any ideas?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

celestial wrote: »
    Yesterday: Rest. Probably the first day in 3 or 4 months when I just came home from work and did nothing! Think I needed the break.

Today:

Warm up with 12 push ups with swiss ball (pushing down then bringing the ball in to the abs and back).
    Bodyweight squats

Weights:

Dbell bench...plenty of sets. Started with 18kg bells, moved to 20kg bells and then up to 22kg bells. Did approx 8-10 sets overall and alternated with squats 3 x 8 reps with the 20kg bells.

Then 4 sets of rows also with 18kg and 22kg bells. Also did 2 x 4 reps 60kg barbell bench. Lat pull down 70kg for 4 sets, 80kg for 2 sets. Bodyweight back extensions 3 x 10 reps.

After approx 3 sets on dbell bench went to barbell to see what I could crank out. Did what I mentioned above, reckon I'd have done a fair bit more if I had gone in fresh, without the dbells first. I'd say my 1RM on the bench is about 65kg, but not certain, only one way to find out next time I go!

Feeling kinda fried after today's workout - maybe its CNS exhaustion or something from upping the weight - Hanley any ideas?!

Read the first line of the quoted texted, then read the last line. Draw your conclusions!!!! :p

I sincerely doubt it's CNS fatigue. Generally that's only gonna happen with experienced guys who are pushing really hard on sets of 1-5 reps (more so 1-3). I'd say you've just been pushing too hard for too long and need a break or a week off now.

Hanley wrote: »
    Read the first line of the quoted texted, then read the last line. Draw your conclusions!!!! :p

I sincerely doubt it's CNS fatigue. Generally that's only gonna happen with experienced guys who are pushing really hard on sets of 1-5 reps (more so 1-3). I'd say you've just been pushing too hard for too long and need a break or a week off now.

Yeah wasn't really being serious, I'm not that hardcore...yet!:D

You're prob right bout taking a break, remains to be seen whether I'll take one or not.

Had been resting since Friday when I had my last workout and wanted to do something tonight - something light just to keep me ticking over.

Went out for a run - great day and got runners that suit my running gait, great support and cushioning in them. Figured if I was going to be doing any amount of running I should get the right shoes. So off I went running for about 15-20 mins.

Into the gym then and kept it light enough volume wise:

Dbell rows 1 x 15 14kg bells (or 16kg, can't rem!), 3 x 10 reps 20kg bells
    Dbell bench press 3 x 10 reps 20kg bells
    Dbell incline press 3 x 10 reps 20kg bells

Stretches and done. Happy enough as wanted to take it a bit easier this week.

Advertisement