Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magazines & Importing Them??

Options
  • 18-03-2008 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hey All,

Is there any issue with the import of magazines into the country, I would assume not since there pieces of plastic basically.

http://www.shop-cz.com/objects/1057015686.html

Any help is much appericated.

Ian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Go right ahead if you have the liscense for the gun in question.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Hey All,

Is there any issue with the import of magazines into the country, I would assume not since there pieces of plastic basically.

Ian

Yes but €60 postage

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WallysWorld

Hijacking the thread slightly, but what about importing an aftermarket stock? Savings on this might make up for the 60 euro postage.

I think the best way to offset the post is with a group buy. Get some of your friends to also buy and that way spread the post cost. Most of the dealers are charging about €40 + for a mag but from the CZ shop they are €10 plastic or €14 metal for 5 round.
    I wouldn't mind getting 5 metal mags myself but I'm only getting my CZ .22lr license through now so it will be some weeks yet before I could buy.
    So there's half the post saved already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

clivej wrote: »
    Yes but €60 postage

Where did you see this cost Clivej? Thats abit much

Ian

Wait I just saw this "Expected price for consignment transport up to 1 kg weight to EU countries: 1070 - 1470 CZK (37.97 - 52.16 EUR)" is this what you were looking at? If so the mag's wouldnt come even close to 1kg, correct me if Im wrong tho or have missed something tho

• Advertisement

Where did you see this cost Clivej? Thats abit much

Ian

Wait I just saw this "Expected price for consignment transport up to 1 kg weight to EU countries: 1070 - 1470 CZK (37.97 - 52.16 EUR)" is this what you were looking at? If so the mag's wouldnt come even close to 1kg, correct me if Im wrong tho or have missed something tho

NO thats about right. I went through the whole process of getting mags for a CZ .22 and a CZ .223. Set up a user account but the post is very high. It will only work out cheap if you are ordering a lot of gear. The transport cost says up to 1kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerri

Hey All,

Ian

DOJ state that magazines are classed as a firearm under the Firearms Act and would require an import permit from DOJ. No doubt I will be contradicted on this but a phone call to DoJ will verify that I am correct as usual:D:D:D:D

OTOH, who is going to go to all that hassle???

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    OTOH, who is going to go to all that hassle???

You have to go to that hassle to stay within the law. Its a component part of a firearm. Same old story in this country. Bad laws make it easier for law abiding people to break them unknow (at times) to the person comiting them. Its silly, but the law was probably brought in to fight against terrorists caught with firearms parts at the time.

I have often been in touch with the DOJ and been told I can`t do.....even when there is NO law to stop me doing it in the books.

Chem
    Now is it a component part or a firearm????
    If it is a firearm,fair enough. But if it is a component part and you have a liscense for the firearm concerned.It is an accessory.Thats another version we had. We had this with shotgun barrels once before as well.
    Plus who exactly is going to check that this extra mag is liscensed to the firearm?It would be ludicrious that you need a firearms liscense for a part that does not shoot..

• Advertisement

Chem
    If it is a firearm,fair enough. But if it is a component part and you have a liscense for the firearm concerned.It is an accessory.Thats another version we had. We had this with shotgun barrels once before as well.
    Plus who exactly is going to check that this extra mag is liscensed to the firearm?It would be ludicrious that you need a firearms liscense for a part that does not shoot..
    And in my local dealers there they are, CZ .22lr 5 and 10 round mags, in plastic see through bags to buy across the counter. They are a conponent, a piece of plastic/metal with a spring, they don't have a barrel, and they don't go bang. IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

Intersting, this country seems to just get better and better all the time!:D

And in my local dealers there they are, CZ .22lr 5 and 10 round mags, in plastic see through bags to buy across the counter. They are a conponent, a piece of plastic/metal with a spring, they don't have a barrel, and they don't go bang. IMO.

Clivej do you know what kinda cost your local dealer is asking for the mags?

Ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sikasmicke

Gerri wrote: »
    DOJ state that magazines are classed as a firearm under the Firearms Act and would require an import permit from DOJ. No doubt I will be contradicted on this but a phone call to DoJ will verify that I am correct as usual:D:D:D:D

This is correct if you phone DOJ they will tell you that mags are a component part and need an importation cert, seems odd though because if you have a firearms certificate you do not need an importation certificate for the gun and then by extension the mags!!!

Best ring DOJ Firearms Legal section for information

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

sikasmicke wrote: »
    This is correct if you phone DOJ they will tell you that mags are a component part and need an importation cert, seems odd though because if you have a firearms certificate you do not need an importation certificate for the gun and then by extension the mags!!!

Best ring DOJ Firearms Legal section for information ( I'm glad cousin you have learnt something from me at last)

if you have a firearms certificate you do not need an importation certificate for the gun and then by extension the mags!!!

Please excuse my stupidity can you explain this cousin, I must have been out of the room when you discussed firearms and components importation law on the course.

Intersting, this country seems to just get better and better all the time!:D
    Clivej do you know what kinda cost your local dealer is asking for the mags?

Ian
    Same as the rest of the deaders at €39.50. 5 round mag. Try phoning around and they all have the same price.
    But we will have to wait a while before the euro/dollor exchange rate starts to take effect on prices here, ie dropping, as deals are done in advance.
    If I were you I would deal with the cz shop and hang the import permit from DOJ bit, if you can justify the post by ordering plenty of gear or spreading the post cost with others.

10 5-round mags = €140 + €55 post = €195 from shop CZ.
    10 5-round mags = €395.00 + post say €10 = €405 from Irish dealers.

There's your choice.
    Order plently of gear.

I'll be getting some meal mags for my CZ .22lr and some .223 mags for my sons CZ from the CZ shop in good time, say 5 of each.
    Clive J................

Chem

Grizzly I did not make the law Im just telling what the law is;)

You are trying to argue with a laws that up until afew months ago, would class a spud or syicky dart gun as a firearm. You know it makes no common scence to class a mag in this way and I do to. But it is what it is and you can risk your licence if you want. As an example of the same thing. Even when silencers were classed as needing permission to own. It was common for firearms dealers to still sell them across the counter.

FIREARMS AND OFFENSIVE WEAPONS ACT, 1990

( g ) save where the context otherwise requires, any component part of any article referred to in any of the foregoing paragraphs and, for the purposes of this definition, the following articles shall be deemed to be such component parts as aforesaid.

[GA] (i) telescope sights with a light beam, or telescope sights with an electronic light amplification device or an infra-red device, designed to be fitted to a firearm specified in paragraph (a), (b), (c) or (e), and

[GA] (ii) a silencer designed to be fitted to a firearm specified in paragraph (a), (b) or (e).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 triggerpull

the sports den in navan Meath sell 5round mags for 36 euro for;):D the .22 of

chem wrote: »
    Grizzly I did not make the law Im just telling what the law is;)

[GA] (i) telescope sights with a light beam, or telescope sights with an electronic light amplification device or an infra-red device, designed to be fitted to a firearm specified in paragraph (a), (b), (c) or (e),..........

So I have a Nikko Nighteater 8-32x60 scope with an InfraRed mil dot rectile that I now require a license for to import :eek:

Would this be correct?

So I have a Nikko Nighteater 8-32x60 scope with an InfraRed mil dot rectile that I now require a license for to import :eek:

Would this be correct?

No. Im sure your cross hairs are not infrared otherwise they would be very hard to see, as its wavelenght is between 750nm and 1mm. Are they just Illuminated? If so no problem. Whats been talked about is night vision that can be mounted to a firearm. Eg: 1960`s infra red sights or the more modern starlight system

Eg: 1960`s infra red sights or the more modern starlight system
    If you can afford them,or can find such antiques.;)
    Anyway,just to prove that this law is already out dated. You can now get attachments that turn a dayscope into a nite scope,without anyone being the wiser.It isa monouclar[legal] that can be attached with two wrist twists to your scope.Called Longbow.Only about 3.5k tho.Trouble is ,yes this is law[maybe].But the next question is how do you enforce this???

I buy four mags for a legal ly owned firearm in an EU country...Legal sale in that country,how do the DOJ know that they weren't bought with the gun in the ROI in the first place and they werent out for a service??
    Are we going to check each individual person,package,bag and whatnot for magazines for legal firearms??? It is not practible to do this in reality.
    Same with silencers.It isnt beyond the ken of mortal man to make improvised silencers here either.
    All I am saying is;yes it proably is law,but a stupid law that everyone acknowledges is unenforceable,and the offical version is get an import liscense,but so long as you arent going to do anything daft,we are not going to bother about this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 trevcon

Do you require an import licence when you import mags from outside the EU?

If you can afford them,or can find such antiques.;)
    Anyway,just to prove that this law is already out dated. You can now get attachments that turn a dayscope into a nite scope,without anyone being the wiser.It isa monouclar[legal] that can be attached with two wrist twists to your scope.Called Longbow.Only about 3.5k tho.Trouble is ,yes this is law[maybe].But the next question is how do you enforce this???

I buy four mags for a legal ly owned firearm in an EU country...Legal sale in that country,how do the DOJ know that they weren't bought with the gun in the ROI in the first place and they werent out for a service??
    Are we going to check each individual person,package,bag and whatnot for magazines for legal firearms??? It is not practible to do this in reality.
    Same with silencers.It isnt beyond the ken of mortal man to make improvised silencers here either.
    All I am saying is;yes it proably is law,but a stupid law that everyone acknowledges is unenforceable,and the offical version is get an import liscense,but so long as you arent going to do anything daft,we are not going to bother about this.

Risk your licence, risk your freedom and/or a fine. If the garda are taking pople to court over inert riflle rounds because they dont have a licence for each cal round:eek: my advise is to wait until things are cleared up law wise or go the full legal route.

I WILL NOT POST ON THIS TOPIC AGAIN AS IT IS OUTSIDE MY INTREAST IN SPORTING SHOOTING:cool:

And how many people EXACTLY have been sucessfully prosecuted with this henious crime????? Ditto for reloading???? NONE!!!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

And how many people EXACTLY have been sucessfully prosecuted with this henious crime????? Ditto for reloading???? NONE!!!!!

It doesn't matter whether you get caught or not, it matters whether it is legal or not.

Ok...whatever.....:rolleyes:

Advertisement