Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 month old question

Options
  • 18-03-2008 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We have a 6 month old girl and are heading home for a visit in 5 weeks. One of my cousins back home in dublin has caught the mrsa bug after contracting pneumonia. She is in stable condition.

I told my wife today and she freaked out as she used to work in a nursng home so knows all about the health risks of MRSA. Is it possible that it could be passed onto our baby from people who have visited her for example my mom. I know this isnt a healthboard, im just asking has anyone been in a similar position.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Snowdrop

I am no expert but I do know that MRSA is an airborne bug. A lot of people carry the bug and it never develops into full blown MRSA as it is mainly a worry for people with impaired immunity such as those recovering from illness. If your baby is in good health, I would say that the chances of your baby developing MRSA as a result of coming into contact with a person who visits your cousin are minimal.

To put it into context, my own baby daughter picked it up in hospital and was put into isolation as a result. It never developed into anything despite her being at high risk due to severe prematurity and just having had surgery the day before. She was born 3 and a half month's early and picked it up a month after being born.

Anyway I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

The problem is that our baby had a uti for the last few weeks and is on antibiotics as a result. She seems to fine now. We eventually found out after doing numerous tests. I will consult our doctor. Thanks for replying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why risk it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭bored and tired

i can be corrected but isnt mrsa only dangerous if the person who has it has broken skin, thats why they scream about it in hospitals as people after operations are extremely vulnerable, plus all the needle pricks for blood tests etc.

Your wife would be able to confirm that, but i would be worried about someone who has been in contact and may have MRSA on their skin offering to change nappy; incase of nappy rash, or feeding ; if baby is teething.

Can you ring or call down to GP and ask his opinion??,

If they knew what causes it, they'd get rid of it. They can't. Despite their statistics showing how much % cleaner the hospitals are, people are still dying from MRSA and they are still trying to avoid the issue. Even hiding the true figures. When a family member of mine was in hospital I only let my child visit once, and didn't let them touch anything. I was paranoid about it. As the family member subsequently died from MRSA, I wouldn't have anyone in a hospital that doesn't need to be there. Your playing Russian Roulette IMO. My personal opinion is that the hospital system, is being less than candid with the facts of MRSA. Does anyone really know how many are dying from it. I know about 5 or 6 people who have died from it, or from complications arising from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Whether the hospital system are "covering it up" or not, the fact is that MRSA is carried by many people without there being any problem, they are colonised with it, along with several other bacteria, but they do the person carrying it no harm. However if that person visits someone in hospital who has an open wound, they are putting the person in hospital at risk.

As for the OP's question, I think bored_and_tired's post has the most common sense. If you're still in doubt ask your doctor but if I were in your position I'd go home to visit

...., but they do the person carrying it no harm. However if that person visits someone in hospital who has an open wound, they are putting the person in hospital at risk. ...

Are you certain you are 100% correct in that, or are you just repeating what you've heard. Most of the people I knew who died from it didn't have open wounds. Most had Pneumonia, Flu etc.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/health/352435_mrsa23.html
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0CYD/is_23_39/ai_n8581191

Advertisement