Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland U17s qualify for the European Championships

• 18-03-2008 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2998

Ourselves, Germany, Portugal and Greece all finished on 4 points. We win the group as the only team to manage a positive goal difference (only 1 team qualifies from each group).

It's long overdue as we've been very unlucky not to qualify in recent years with the 17s and 19s.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Well done. Though unfortunately as we know world class (in their age group) Irish young sides dont necessarily grow up to be world class senior players.

What age are these lads so, 15 to 17? Will give the tournament a watch if it is on tv, who else has qualified so far?

Portugal, Greece, Germany and Ireland all in the same group? Is there no seedings or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

We're the first team to qualify I think. Turkey host and there's only 6 other places. Scotland will probably qualify as they're in a group with Slovenia, Wales and N.Ireland. It'll be on Eurosport most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Bloody hell - that's an impressive group to come out of! Congrats lads.

It's not bad when we can bring a Man Utd player in to replace the suspended captain who plays for Chelsea. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

well done to the lads, i've heard very positive things about this group of players so hopefully they will put in a strong show in Turkey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Excellent news. Hopefully there's one or two gems in this pool of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

I heard on the radio this morning that eight of the squad were all involved with Crumlin United, so some great work done there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

patmac wrote: »
    I heard on the radio this morning that eight of the squad were all involved with Crumlin United, so some great work done there.

Does anyone have a squad list/team sheet for this group of players? It would be great to know if any locals I know were involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Republic of Ireland --

Hanley (Salthill Devon);
    Ormsby (Crumlin United),
    Dunleavy (Wolverhampton Wanderers),
    Connolly (Wolverhampton Wanderers),
    Gunning (Blackburn Rovers);
    Doran (Blackburn Rovers),
    Sullivan (Crumlin United),
    Morrissey (Ringmahon Rangers),
    Hourihane (Sunderland),
    Brady (Manchester United);
    Cunningham (Manchester City).

Subs: Keane (Derby County) for Sullivan (71 mins), Murphy (Ipswich Town) for Brady (79 mins), Holohan (Cherry Orchard) for Cunningham (80 mins).

Thats the most recent team anyway. See Doran goal in the stickied thread.

Our U16s played Malta today. They had a German born St Pauli player and New Zealand born Freiburg player up front. :D Both players scored. Selcuk Tidim, the St Pauli striker, has been scoring over 100 goals a season for their youths. He was eligible for Turkey and Germany but chose us thanks to his Irish mother. Tidim also scored the only goal on Monday as Ireland beat Italy 1-0.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Republic of Ireland --

Ormsby (Crumlin United),

This lads a quality player. My brother was with Crumlin for a while. Would be playing in england but he's a bit on the short side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Fair play to Sean McCafferey, I remember having a few sessions with him, and he was always in your ear giving advice.

Well done to the lads as well.

Advertisement