Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

high heels conundrum!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

I find I can only do heels if the shoe is "secure" on my foot - ie boots are grand, as are sandals with straps across the bridge of my foot, but slip on heeled shoes are a mare for me as I either slip out of them at the heels on every step or I don't feel secure in them, like I'm more prone to wobbling/stumbling or putting my ankle out.
    Will have to find a pair of heeled shoes with straps across them, like a nice t-bar court or something. Problem is I have ridiculously broad feet so finding shoes with straps that don't look like orthopedic shoes for a flat flooted clown-granny is hard. Having said that, I tend more towards converse runners anyway. I only tend to do heels under trousers for work.

OP - try the wearing them around the house with thick socks on to break them in. I do this when it's a pair of highheel shoes I have to break in (eg for under a dress for a wedding etc where flats just wouldn't look right) otherwise I just leave them behind in the shops and go for the kitten heels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mollybawn

I thought I was the only one, so it's good to know there are other gals out there with the same problem. It's definitely tougher when you're small and butty with size 36 feet, - the only hope you have of looking any way dressed-up is to wear heels. Bought a pair again lately after giving up in agony and despair years ago. These are "Sixty-Seven" brand, - never heard of them before, and you know what - they are actually comfortable!!!! Only at the "wear around the house" stage yet but I think I might be able to get through a night in them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

not sure if this will be helpful but am size 36 and 5 foot 7 and 10 stone - can walk all day in 4 inch heels. even climbed ayers rock in them. even have high heeled slippers!

can't wear flats. think to do with doing ballet which shortened muscle at back of leg. Personally i would recommend dune for shoes, great. also find river island good but dunnes shoes only start in a 37.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'm 5ft 7, 38 feet, and the wedge heel is the best invention in the world. Because of how I walk, I angle my heel forward into the ground before my toes follow, and I practically kick into the ground when I do it.

As a result, I can't buy high heels at all where the heel joins the sole at a right angle. I have to have those heels that join the sole at a sort of curved angle, so that if you were to look at the shape of the shoe from the side, the inside of the heel would join the sole as an 'r', not as an 'l'. If I buy the 'l' shapes, I nearly break the heel off the back of the shoe.

Subsequently I find wedges really comfortable - 3-4" heels no problem - they don't even have to be a wedge where they have a full sole in contact with the ground. They can just have a blocky arch bewteen the heel and the shoe. If it makes a sturdier shoe, I can sprint in them.

Some of my favourites - 3.5" wedge sandals, brown crossover leather straps and a cork-style wedge heel. Red leather peep-toes with an arch wedge and a bow on the front. Black knee-high suede block wedge boots - I can sprint in these, they are a blessing in winter.

I find tiny, delicate high heel sandals just aren't going to work for me. I'm a size 12-14 in clothes, but I've got a more muscular frame so I'm heavy. Heavy + size 38 feet = feeling like the shoe is going to give way under your foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

connundrum wrote: »
    :(

Well, you were bound to turn up in this thread!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Aristophanes

hey i've just found this forum and loving it so far!

i used to have real problems walking in heels, even low-ish ones with ankle straps etc but recently i've found a trick which really helps...it sounds a bit odd but if you try and draw youself up to be as tall as possible, as if there's a string attatched to your head, you sort of glide along! whenever i'm wearing heels and feeling a bit wobbly it seems to work. might be psychological but worth a try i suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Babette08

Haven't read all the posts but IMO the best thing you can do is alternate different heights, types etc and give your feet a break every now and then

I'm very petite but can't wear very high heels. I've pretty much lived in wedges, or stillettos with a slight platform for years. Office and Buffolo have some really cute ones. Although these look really high there's less of a dip for the base of your foot to deal with so much more comfy. Some gel insoles and your good to go;)...oh and don't forget the vodka :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

high heels conundrum!

Well now, for a second there I thought this thread was gonna tell me that 'MY' connundrum had been seen wearing high heels :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I finally got my foot sorted this time last year with a pair of prescriptive Orthotics and have had SO much fun buying shoes!! If i fit into them and they're comfortable I buy them!! I even bought a pair of Zara shoes last week, I have never been able to get the bit of my foot with my toes into those shoes!!

How do you get the Orthotics to fit into heels? I find htey don't fit properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Blush_01 wrote: »
    So I feel like a mountain walking around on its peak in most heels.

I can't stop laughing at this.. such a funny mental picture :D It is quite how I feel in heels. Or else I get kinda scared at how far away the ground is, and start wobbling like crazy. The only shoes I have that aren't totally flat have about a 1.5 inch heel, and I even manage to fall off them. I'm a pretty clumsy person and my feet basically have a mind of their own. I'd like to try and train them into heels though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 rosarosa

Well, the progress so far is this:

I used the socks on a pair of 3-inch slip-ons the last couple of nights. tried to wear them this evening. It wasn't so bad in terms of fit (none of that tight feeling), but they tended to slip off when I tried going to the bathroom. Had to sort of shuffle and hope it didn't look so obvious. Maybe I'll be going for lighter socks in future.

No pain though, hurrah! but then, I wasn't dancing or anything. More work needs to be done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

My flatmate swears by hemorrhoid cream! She puts it on an hour or two in advance of the night out. I think she puts it in the fridge beforehand...

Just don't tell anyone! ;)

Hey!
    This post came into my mind the other day when i was deciding what shoes to wear to a wedding 2moro..
    i have a lovely pair of white heels, they are pretty, and they are dead comfy for the first 2 maybe 3 hours, then hell!
    Was just wondering about this cream....does your friend rub it all over her foot, or just the soles??

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

Femmy wrote: »
    Hey!
    This post came into my mind the other day when i was deciding what shoes to wear to a wedding 2moro..
    i have a lovely pair of white heels, they are pretty, and they are dead comfy for the first 2 maybe 3 hours, then hell!
    Was just wondering about this cream....does your friend rub it all over her foot, or just the soles??

Hey!

She only puts it on her soles about half an hour before she heads out. She cools it in the fridge beforehand. She says it really works!

Have a great time at the wedding!

Advertisement