Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son of Training Run...

Options
  • 18-03-2008 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

Well, in view of the response to the original thread, and seeing as how I can breathe a little better now, I'm proposing a training run next Saturday, March 22nd.

Route is same as before, with an initial meeting point of the Greyhound Track in Harolds Cross at 10am.

Possibly the easiest way to arrange this is to post below on Friday if you're definitely in or out, or PM me... I'll check Sat morning before I head out, and will wait for anyone who's said they'll be in a particular place.

I've only mapped up to Enniskerry, mostly cos we'll see how we're getting on from there. Anyone is welcome, regardless of your fitness, let's have a bit of craic, and get ready for the W200! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm out for this weekend. Got a wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i'd be up for a few miles if we're still interested. anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'll be at the Dog Track at 10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I'm up for this. And as the pubs are closed, I will not be wimping out due to drunkeness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

hoping to go, but doing some work on the bike today, so depends on if i get it finished or not.will know later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭emty

Will try and come along tomorrow. would also point out that there are a lot of people viewing these threads who are not members but might like to come along.not sure if the OP can post a mobile number or an email to give them a point of contact.

You can mail me at ajgraham [at] iol [dot] ie if there's anyone not on here who is interested. AS I said above, I'll check mail/here tomorrow am and anyone who says they're in I'll wait for!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I would like to join. I'd be meeting you in Dundrum (coming from Stillorgan) at about what time........?
    Racing on Sunday so I prob wouldn't be going over Sally gap or anything to strenous.

I'd say 10.15 or 10.20 just under the LUAS bridge... you may see Kenmc there too! :)

• Advertisement

Sound.

Hmm,doesn't look like I'll get to join up, the conversion from flat to drops not going so well.Can't get my sti shifters working with my vbrakes.Might have to go back to flat bars until i get some different brakes - might get that done tonite, but might need to get new cables.. will have to see - will let you know in the morning

Most of you guys ride flat bar bikes?

well last week Tiny was there on a singlespeed (not fixed), el tonto was on a racer - specialized i think, his friend Paul was on a nice Bianchi and I was on a flat-barred racer, which was supposed to be dropped by now. but it just so happened that way - was only 4 of us. All welcome sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mollyontheweb

hi guys... just saw your post yesterday and would like to join your gang. hope its ok to turn up tomorrow at 10? and hope its ok that i dont have a clue what the teminology of the last few posts means? thanks...

And..... I'm back! Re-built with flat bars. Seeya tomorrow morning around 10:15r under the luas bridge.
    K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

kenmc wrote: »
    Hmm,doesn't look like I'll get to join up, the conversion from flat to drops not going so well.Can't get my sti shifters working with my vbrakes.Might have to go back to flat bars until i get some different brakes - might get that done tonite, but might need to get new cables.. will have to see - will let you know in the morning

V-brakes won't work with STI shifters unless you get a travel agent. The STI's can't pull the cable enough for v-brakes.

Yep, thats exactly what I discovered - was bottoming out on the handlebars - this despite Giant telling me that the brakes would not need changing...
    Do you know anywhere to get travel agents - can only see them on american websites, not UK ones? Also are the travelagents better than the v-adaptors?

I'm not sure about the realtive merits of travel agents. You might be just aswell getting a set of centre pull cantilevers. They give better braking power than v-brakes do, in general. They can be a pain to setup but they will work with STIs.

Oh yeah, I might along to this next week, if it's still happening. Can't do this weekend.

• Advertisement

penexpers wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the realtive merits of travel agents. You might be just aswell getting a set of centre pull cantilevers. They give better braking power than v-brakes do, in general. They can be a pain to setup but they will work with STIs.

The main problem for we with that is trying to get the brake cable to pull from centre - went to Hollingsworth and they gave me a front hanger, but there's no way of putting it on, cos it's up tight with my stem. They didn't have a back hanger to fit either. It's a pity cos I saw the Tektro Oryx cantis are compat with STI.

hi guys... just saw your post yesterday and would like to join your gang. hope its ok to turn up tomorrow at 10? and hope its ok that i dont have a clue what the teminology of the last few posts means? thanks...

You can indeed Molly, all are welcome!

@Planet X, Ken had it spot on... I've a flat bar paddy wagon, simply as it's my only bike at the mo, and I prefer flats for getting around town -the new (geared!) bike should be arriving in the next month or so, and will have drops :)

You can indeed Molly, all are welcome!

@Planet X, Ken had it spot on... I've a flat bar paddy wagon, simply as it's my only bike at the mo, and I prefer flats for getting around town -the new (geared!) bike should be arriving in the next month or so, and will have drops :)

thanks! see you then then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

once again i have to back out, got a damn FAS safe pass course tomorrow I forgot about. I did cycle to blessington today to make up for it.

No bother Pete -you're getting a bit of a rep though :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

kenmc wrote: »
    ...el tonto was on a racer - specialized i think....

I'm shocked and appalled that you mistook my Wilier for a Specialized.;)

Sorry, but the visiblity was awful - could barely see through my glasses!

Nice day for it. Will be at Joe Dalys in an hour.

Six of us were out. About 40 miles for me. Beautiful weather, almost got a tan.

• Advertisement

yep. lovely spin. thanks for the support guys ;)

Advertisement