Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Crash - What to do

Options
  • 18-03-2008 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I crashed my 99 Almera at the weekend, went into a dyke and did a fair bit of damage to the front. Air bag came out so they said it'll be a write off.
    No one else involved so the farmer whos feild it was pulled me out and i got a friend of a friend to remove it to a farmers yard for a few days.
    So what do i do now? Write it off and send it to a scrao yard who wont pay me anything? Talk to a local mechanic to see would he pay me a few pound for it? Try repair it? Or maybe even get me insurance company to pay for the damage as i am comprehensive covered

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

lemon125 wrote: »
    I crashed my 99 Almera at the weekend, went into a dyke and did a fair bit of damage to the front. Air bag came out so they said it'll be a write off.
    No one else involved so the farmer whos feild it was pulled me out and i got a friend of a friend to remove it to a farmers yard for a few days.
    So what do i do now? Write it off and send it to a scrao yard who wont pay me anything? Talk to a local mechanic to see would he pay me a few pound for it? Try repair it? Or maybe even get me insurance company to pay for the damage as i am comprehensive covered

would go for insurance. Whats the point in people having insurance if they wont use it for something like this???

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

chris85 wrote: »
    would go for insurance. Whats the point in people having insurance if they wont use it for something like this???

Lets say he claims and they reckon his car was worth €1,000 and his excess was €300. He gets €700 and his insurance premium goes through the roof.

That's why you'd have insurance and not use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lemon125

Do i still have to inform the insurance company of my accident even if i dont claim?
    Do cars that need to be scrapped are they worth much? O should i be happy just to get the car out of my sight?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The insurance company don't need to know about it if there is not going to be a claim made.
    I presume the farmer is cool about it and is not looking for money for his fence or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Your 9 year old car was worth very little when in good condition. So when anything gets damaged to it, it is deemed to be an insurance "write off". Not because it is unsafe or unrepairable or anything, just because it doesn't make economical sense to repair it.

Don't go through the insurance. Your no claims bonus will be binned and you'll get paid very little because the car is worth very little.

A scrapper or a young mechanic could very well give you a couple of hundred (or more!) for it if they see an opportunity for doing it up cheaply and sell it on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

kbannon wrote: »
    The insurance company don't need to know about it if there is not going to be a claim made.
    I presume the farmer is cool about it and is not looking for money for his fence or whatever.

I know if it was our fence we would definitely look for it to be replaced to the same standard as was there previously. No question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Some years ago when I ran a hire fleet, in the event of a write off the insurers paid out the TRADE value of the car, not it's current retail value. That knocked several hundred Euros off the payout. They worked that fiddle on the basis that the value is what you'd get if you sold it to or traded it in to a dealer. In that case, if you have a high excess, you could theoretically end up owing THEM money and lose your NCB in the process:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lemon125

yeah, the farmer was cool about it. He had all the machines to get my car out. I gave him a bottle of brandy and his driver of the digger a few pound. The damage was to the bank and not to any of his fence or property. We just had to go through his land to get it out.
    How do you go about writing off a car?
    There is a local mechanic said he'd offer a few pound for it, better than the deal im getting at the min where a lad said he'd get rid of it for me, but then there would be transport costs to get it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 antoneyz

Mar 27
    anyone out there ever been involved in an crash with an EC car where its their fault and they admit it but say we must claim off his insurance company which is in France, can't get this moving at all, have no word even though filled in claim form
    any help please .............
    Anto

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

antoneyz wrote: »
    Mar 27
    anyone out there ever been involved in an crash with an EC car where its their fault and they admit it but say we must claim off his insurance company which is in France, can't get this moving at all, have no word even though filled in claim form
    Anto

For visibility, you should really start a new thread for this.

If you have comprehensive cover, contact your own co. and get sorted and let them chase his insurers to recoup. If your renewal is near you may have no NCB while it's being sorted but you should be reimbursed once the claim is settled. My €0.02, not gospel.

• Advertisement

antoneyz wrote: »
    Mar 27
    Anto

I can't offer any help, but if I were you I'd record every single conversation with his insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

yeah, the farmer was cool about it. He had all the machines to get my car out. I gave him a bottle of brandy and his driver of the digger a few pound. The damage was to the bank and not to any of his fence or property. We just had to go through his land to get it out.
    How do you go about writing off a car?
    There is a local mechanic said he'd offer a few pound for it, better than the deal im getting at the min where a lad said he'd get rid of it for me, but then there would be transport costs to get it home.
    I wrecked two cars (write off's) when i was getting rid of them i told the insurance co that I was selling them on(didn't mention the crash).
    Once you tell them you've sold it that'll do. It's none of there biz what state it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

:D

Dirty.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Volvoboy wrote: »
    :D

Dirty.

-VB-

Was thinking the same VB. Hope she was ok.:p

Advertisement