Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts on Cork N25 South Ring upgrade?

• 18-03-2008 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭

So i have been spending plenty of time sitting in traffic on the Ring now recently and a few things have caught my eye on a road that is basically an M50 of the south.

1) the queues for the Tunnel are growing ever further back, today at 5:30 there was solid lines of traffic all the way back to the N28 & Douglas West exits.

2) From the Airport/Kinsale Rd. Flyover through the Sarsfield and Bandon Rd. roundabouts Traffic was backed up nicely in all lanes crawling at a snails pace as the traffic lights allowed.

Now as the new N/M8 roads are coming online over the next few years, as well as the new N22/N28 upgrades in the Distant blurry future, all with the intention i imagine of increasing road capacity and thus meaning more cars will be coming onto the South Ring.

Now i went to the NRA traffic counter site & curiously there was no Counter for the South Ring itself (although the rest of the N25 is meticulously counted?)

However the traffic counters at Dunkettle (40,000), Glanmire (16-18,000) & Ballincollig (10,000 in 2004 when it was just opened IMO it would be a bit higher now) all give an indication of the kind of current levels the N25 is taking at the moment.

http://www.nra.ie/NetworkManagement/TrafficCounts/TrafficCounterData/html/N08-04B.htm

http://www.nra.ie/NetworkManagement/TrafficCounts/TrafficCounterData/html/N08-05.htm

http://www.nra.ie/NetworkManagement/TrafficCounts/TrafficCounterData/html/N08-04A.htm

Throw in the Volumes from the current N28/N27 and the traffic coming out of the other exits from the city & south county suburbs/satellite towns and you have a pretty busy road, which while at the moment only has long queues at the usual times my guess is in the years to come the Tunnel and the various other pinch points and congestion will only increase.

So what to do to combat this congestion?

On the roads side, the 2 roundabouts left were due to get the flyover treatment immediately after the Kinsale flyover but both were long fingered and whose future construction seemingly depends on whether or not Cork politicians shout louder then competing politicians with their own pet projects.

The N28 of course as i mentioned is due to be rebuilt as a DC (Currently at the route selection stage on the NRA website), along with the mythical north ring road (a northern DC tolled bypass of the city also at route selection stage), crucially however these projects, along with the 2 flyovers, are not in Transport 21 so, as mentioned, the projects future is dependant on a mixture of Cork politicians, the NRA, the DoT & DoF all getting along and finding a funding & priority solution, in otherwords probably very little happening for the foreseeable future.

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/CorkCityCouncil/N22CorkNorthernRingRoad/SchemeName,11608,en.html

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/CorkCityCouncil/N25CorkSRRInterchanges/SchemeName,11639,en.html

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/CorkCountyCouncil/N28RingaskiddytoCork/SchemeName,11559,en.html

On the public transport side, in T21, the re-opening of the Midleton line, opening of new stations on the Mallow & Cobh lines and a promise of "A programme of investment to upgrade regional and local bus services.", is what is scheduled for the Cork area, IMO this will have a minor impact on traffic volumes on the South Ring as at the moment bus connections between the the city and its southern hinterland are ok at best,potential rail options are apparently non existant so that leaves the road as the main option.

so back to the two lane twisty South Ring, what can be done about it?(i apoligise for the long post)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

keep off it at peak times is the best advice...there are alternatives available if you resaerch a little...depends where you are heading.....

for instance I regularly do Kanturk to Togher and can acheive this at 9am-ish more or less without stopping....or to avoid the tunnel there are ways through the city that dont involve hellish queues usually....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Sit back and wait...:)

Seriously, I think the N25 South Ring junctions, being an essential upgrade of an urban area road, should be a high priority, like they should aim to complete by 2010.

However I'm pretty sure they're part of T21. I think the Gov is thinking "Interurbans then Atlantic Corridor", so stuff like South Ring/N28 Ringaskiddy etc. are getting ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

No they're not part of T21.

The SRR upgrade (Sarsfield & Bandon roundabouts) wont be done till 2010 at the earliest. It needs doing though, but its a surprisingly large scheme, much bigger than most people think. Its not just 'lob in flyovers' but we're talking collector/distributor setups as large as the Kinsale Road flyover. Looking at the plans I have, the widest point (mainline & slips) will be 11 lanes. I guess tho this is being long fingered as looking at it realistically, its not dangerous to have cars sitting in a jam while twisty narrow bits of S2 interurban exist. Also its not beneficial politically.

The NRR upgrade I didnt think would be tolled? Not sure about that tho. That needs doing too. That will be an interesting project though as the terrain is quite difficult.

N28 upgrade might get a kick up the ass soon due to the Port of Ringaskiddy upgrade. The road is nowhere near suitable as it stands, but the promise of a port upgrade might chivvy the NRA on somewhat.

I am geniunly worried about Dunkettle tho. The NRA told me they're going to do a study into increasing capacity this year (whatever that means.) You're going to get the upgraded M8, the SRR (DC to Macroom soon enough), traffic off the NRR and filtering traffic off the N25 from Midleton combined with a new railway station and P&R facility and the recent plans for 1200 houses nearby all combined on a two level stacked roundabout. Its going to be a DISASTER.

Also, it'll be a complete bitch to upgrade as the tunnel is 2x2 in close proximity to the junction, the proposed P&R will get in the way, Dunkettle House is a protected structure, the amount of water in the way and the stupid developer who wont stop putting in planning for 1200 houses nearby.

It'll be an interesting one to watch, but if all the other projects get done and this is ignored then Dunkettle will easily be the biggest bottleneck that this country has ever seen.

Edit: And they need motorway restrictions (and possibly an 80kmh limit on the Douglas elevated section). The number of tractors on this road is ridiculous, sitting in the slow lane while filtering traffic weaves all around it.

Also most of the lights dont work at the Kinsale Road interchange despite my bitching to the Cork Roads authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Also most of the lights dont work at the Kinsale Road interchange despite my bitching to the Cork Roads authority.

Yes since they switched the lights on the airport side of the roundabout there is a distinct lack of co-ordination between the lights facing you as you stop on the N27 and the lights on the roundabout.

With regards Douglas, the two exits are frequently backed up out into the link, and as the section is rather twisty i would agree with an 80km limit there has been lots of accidents in that location, but i would imagine long term some kind of mega upgrade re-build will be needed for those sections though i cant imagine how they would have the space to rebuild it.

I knew that the 2 roundabouts would be big jobs but its amazing to think its going to be 11 lanes wide! there really isnt a lot of space at either roundabout in comparison to the Kinsale Rd. roundabout.

With regards the Toll on the North Ring Road, on the NRA site there is no mention of a Toll, but i seem to recall a few years ago that there were suggestions that it would be tolled, all i can find to confirm this is this 2005 article:

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2005/01/19/story260149970.asp

I never thought i would see the day where i would call for PPPs, but maybe in relation to some projects in Cork or elsewhere to get them kick started. the Fermoy bypass would probably still not be there if it wasnt for the PPP process.

As for Dunkettle, well its inevitable whats going to happen there with traffic volumes in years to come :rolleyes:.

Yeah its a joke.

Didnt mean the Kinsale Road traffic lights by the way, the junction is lit up by a few of those big tall lighting poles, and its them that are broken!

They're doing some work off the elevated Douglas section, but I dont think an extra lane is going in is it? Seems to be a lot of boring and drilling in the carpark, that'd be for a road in Douglas I'd guess. Great job at grandfathering the N25 in if thats the case - couldnt be widened if thats true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

A lick of paint for the road markings at Dunkettle would be nice.

I've never understood the Douglas section of the N25. Two exits for Douglas on N25 heading east, but none on N25 heading west! One entrance at Douglas to N25 westbound but none to N25 eastbound!

built on the cheap.....they are doing some sort of wrok alongside the flyover at the mo...nopt sure what that is but fairly extensive...

Tis the redevelopment of Douglas Village shopping centre which has caused subsidence on a part of the Douglas flyover, further along there is work going on by the Sarsfield Roundabout, Earth clearance of some sort by the GAA pitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

The first and most important IMHO upgrade is to remove the roundabout at the N8 --> Jack Lynch Tunnel and the Waterford roads. That would mean a clean run from the M8, N8 across the city and west bound with no roundabouts to delay things.

what about the poor Waterford-direction people? they might want to use the tunnel....in fact in the am rush, i should think more traffic comes that way anyway....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Pete4779 wrote: »
    The first and most important IMHO upgrade is to remove the roundabout at the N8 --> Jack Lynch Tunnel and the Waterford roads. That would mean a clean run from the M8, N8 across the city and west bound with no roundabouts to delay things.

No, the correct thing to do with be a complete cloverleaf junction covering all directions. It will have to be done eventually as it WILL become Ireland biggest bottleneck.

im not sure there is room there to do much at all....perhaps more eeficent traffic lights (common problem all over Cork) which relate to each other is the answer or (dare I say it) get rid of the lights altogether and drivers learn how to use a roundabout properley....

corktina wrote: »
    im not sure there is room there to do much at all....perhaps more eeficent traffic lights (common problem all over Cork) which relate to each other is the answer or (dare I say it) get rid of the lights altogether and drivers learn how to use a roundabout properley....

That roundabout was twice as bad without the lights. Lights on a roundabout increase its capacity a lot in my book. I would imagine that a signalised roundabout prob has the highest capacity of any at-grade junction.

The major problem with the roundabout are the extra sliproads added to give access to the old Midleton road and Tunnel maintenance, not to mind the slip roads onto it from the old Midleton road and Little Island.

Something will have to be done for sure. Should have been done day one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Was driving on it one day last year and the lights were turned off (some malfunction), trust me you don't want that, it was hectic

only because most people dont know how to use a roundabout properley....near where I used to live in the UK, the A34 and the A4 crossed each other...there was a four lane roundabout with no signals....yes it was scary if you were a stranger, but it worked because everyone knew what everyone esle was doing.....and indicated their intentions...and that interesction was much busier than any of the roundabouts in Cork

I can't see how a free roundabout can have a higher capacity than a signalised one.

One car on the roundabout could hold up 10 cars on the slip lane trying to get on. In a signalised roundabout, the cars will be bumper to bumper ensuring that as many as possible get through the roundabout at any one time.

Flashing ambers at non peak hours would be good as it would hold up people less. I wouldn't think so in peak hours though.

Busier then the Kinsale Road Roundabout before they built the flyover? AFAIK that was handling in and around 100k vehicle movements per day, that didnt have lights on the Airport road side so coimng from the airport onto the roundabout you had to find a gap in the traffic to get onto the roundabout.

result? lots of traffic & accidents.

the delays are caused by the lag between red and green where noone moves....and the traffic from the airport couldnt pull on to the roundabout because of the traffic held at the lights on the roundabout...

In my book, the delays are caused by gaps between cars which aren't big enough to allow other cars to gain access to the roundabout. This isn't using the roundabout to its fullest capacity. By using lights, you are ensuring the maximum amount of cars on the roundabout at any given time, while also allowing everyone their fair go on the roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

For such a small city it never ceases to amaze me how Cork can have such a massive ring road system and still manage to clog it up.

Urban planning from hell. I'm glad I don't live there. If I did I'd try to live in the city and do without a garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

There's no debate here. Signalised roundabouts have higher capacities than non-signalised ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

For such a small city it never ceases to amaze me how Cork can have such a massive ring road system and still manage to clog it up.

Urban planning from hell. I'm glad I don't live there. If I did I'd try to live in the city and do without a garden.

Cork has a fairly substantial road network, I agree with this. However, you have to remember that in providing solutions to Corks commuting trouble, the DoT, the NRA, Bus Eireann, Irish Rail a whole host of government bodies who only like to do a half arsed job at it. Providing three quarters of the solution does not provide the who solution.

With regard to the South Ring Road, part of the "massive ring road system", its downfalls, are clear. Dunkettle, Sarsfield and Bandon Road Roundabouts. These are not a result of bad planning. These are a result of Budget Cuts made because of the priority of Inter Urbans, (Roads To Dublin) and the great Interurban of them all, the M50.

These same cheap alternatives to building proper infrastructure are repeated all over the country, including Dublin itself.

Cork wont be too bad once the roundabouts are sorted and the North Ring built. There'll still be a few issues, but there probobly wont be one substantial bottleneck once they're done.

once they're done.

If the installation of the 2 Flyovers, the building of the North Ring Road, and upgrading the Dunkettle are completed within the next decade i'll be delighted and amazed that it has happened, but i doubt it will.

Colm R wrote: »
    Cork has a fairly substantial road network, I agree with this. However, you have to remember that in providing solutions to Corks commuting trouble, the DoT, the NRA, Bus Eireann, Irish Rail a whole host of government bodies who only like to do a half arsed job at it. Providing three quarters of the solution does not provide the who solution.

With regard to the South Ring Road, part of the "massive ring road system", its downfalls, are clear. Dunkettle, Sarsfield and Bandon Road Roundabouts. These are not a result of bad planning. These are a result of Budget Cuts made because of the priority of Inter Urbans, (Roads To Dublin) and the great Interurban of them all, the M50.

These same cheap alternatives to building proper infrastructure are repeated all over the country, including Dublin itself.

+1+1+1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭fitzgese

"only because most people dont know how to use a roundabout properley....near where I used to live in the UK, the A34 and the A4 crossed each other...there was a four lane roundabout with no signals....yes it was scary if you were a stranger, but it worked because everyone knew what everyone esle was doing.....and indicated their intentions...and that interesction was much busier than any of the roundabouts in Cork"

Bit off topic, but how exactly does a roundabout like that with 4 lanes work?

dunno...didnt dare open my eyes.....(its been bypassed now )

With regard to the South Ring Road, part of the "massive ring road system", its downfalls, are clear. Dunkettle, Sarsfield and Bandon Road Roundabouts. These are not a result of bad planning.

Of course the traffic jams there are a result of bad planning. A dual carriageway bypass with the odd roundabout is more than sufficient for a city the size of Cork.

What caused the traffic jams in those places was abusing the bypass system by building massive huge housing estates and shopping centres next to it at every opportunity. Developers, politicians and builders milking public infrastructure for private gain.

If Cork had been planned properly, with medium density housing built near the city, with amenities (schools, shops etc) planned close by and proper public transport systems, then there wouldn't be half as many cars on the road.

More and wider ring roads around Cork will only make the problem worse. It's a vicious cycle of bigger roads, more unsustainable urban sprawl, leading to more and bigger roads. Now they want to build a Northern ring road from the N8 north of Glanmire to the road to Blarney. What the hell for?

The sad thing is that when the Celtic Tiger kicked in Ireland had over 50 years of post-industrial global urban planning experiences to draw on. We ignored it all and decided to build our own versions of Los Angeles instead. Ireland is now the most car dependent country in Europe. The only people who benefited are all at the Mahon Tribunal. So think of that when you are next stuck in a traffic jam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The sad thing is that when the Celtic Tiger kicked in Ireland had over 50 years of post-industrial global urban planning experiences to draw on. We ignored it all and decided to build our own versions of Los Angeles instead. Ireland is now the most car dependent country in Europe. The only people who benefited are all at the Mahon Tribunal. So think of that when you are next stuck in a traffic jam.
    ...but some of us like our front and back gardens (which we rarely see in daylight) :D

• Advertisement

There are parts of the city where things were planned properly, before the Irish government got taken over by property moguls.

I'm thinking of the likes of Ballyphehane. You've got gardens there. There are also integrated street grids, bus routes, shops, schools, playgrounds, churches, parks and even a local library. It's a proper neighbourhood.

Then you have all the sprawling housing estates built on the sides of hills from the 70s/80s onwards, with one entrance on to a main road leading to a thousand cul de sacs. No parks, no schools, no shops, no bus routes, nothing. The only way to get in and out is by car and via a bypass that was never designed to function as a city route. Maximum profit for the developer, minimum quality of life for the citizens.

The traffic problems in Cork are rooted much deeper than roundabouts vs flyovers.

dont recognise that description.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Car ownership in Ireland is one of the lowest in Europe. That doesn't exactly make us dependent on cars.

I agree that things in Ireland are practically never planned right.

The fact that the Nenagh and Croom bypasses were only built around 10 years ago as mere single carriageway but now have to be upgraded to proper Dual Carriageway(one of them will be done by 2010) which is what they should have been all along is proof of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

murphaph wrote: »
    ...but some of us like our front and back gardens (which we rarely see in daylight) :D

...isn't that the problem!!!

We have got far too individualistic in this country - we all want our own houses, cars, gardens etc... etc. This is one of the biggest reasons why our quality of life has declined and our crime has risen - essentially, we are all islands instead of a community (or even communities) which brings the saying to mind... united we stand, divided we fall!!! We are living further and further from our places of work, amassing big maintenance headaches in relation to our houses and gardens, letting our kids and teenagers run amok, and in the process, having less time to do anything! What a vicious circle - no wonder life in this country is becoming such a mess - it is partly the governments fault, but it is mostly ours!!!

We need to cop ourselves on and change our attitudes towards this country - each of us needs to ask ourselves what we can do to make Ireland a better place to live - for example, how many of us take responsibility for our free Metro or Herald AM paper rather than leaving it as litter on the train - the trains are cleaned every day, but by evening, they are filthy - why??? How many of us will slow down in our cars and have consideration towards other road users? How many of us will keep our dogs under control and start using poop scoops (we do have the right to walk!)? How many of us will start treating customers with dignity in our places of work? How many of us will start treating shop staff with dignity? How many shopkeepers will start charging fair prices to their customers? Especially, how many of us will start taking an interest in our local communities and social structures (and therefore local transport!)? How many of us will start treating money as a means rather than on end in itself? How many of us will start focussing on the common good rather than litigation (it might help in speeding up our infrastructure development!)?... The list could go on for ever...

Regards!

Agreed with Lennox chips. The latest obsession in the outskirts is to build big estates with only one entry to block through traffic. This is causing traffic chaos at junctions etc and overloads the main roads.

On the flip side, Ballinlough rarely has heavy traffic due to its large grid system.

E92 wrote: »
    Car ownership in Ireland is one of the lowest in Europe. That doesn't exactly make us dependent on cars.

Car ownership and car dependency are two completely different things.

Car ownership says nothing about how the cars are being used. We do know that cars in Ireland travel further and more often than cars in other countries.

Also, car ownership is also measured per 1000 population. Ireland has a very young population, with a larger percentage under 18 than most other European countries. People under 18 don't own cars. That doesn't mean they aren't dependent upon automobile travel.

Car ownership in Switzerland is higher than Ireland, but that doesn't mean they're more dependent upon cars. A car in Switzerland could be sitting idle in the garage most of the time while the owner walks or uses public transport. Car ownership is more of an indication of financial well being than actual car dependency.

The fact of the matter is that if you go to any small city the size of Cork in Germany, the Netherlands, Denmark, Switzerland, Sweden, Norway or France, you won't see a fraction of the traffic and commute problems that Cork has inflicted upon itself.

• Advertisement

Niall1234 wrote: »
    Agreed with Lennox chips. The latest obsession in the outskirts is to build big estates with only one entry to block through traffic. This is causing traffic chaos at junctions etc and overloads the main roads.

On the flip side, Ballinlough rarely has heavy traffic due to its large grid system.

Check out the Grange Hill area in Cork. (Google Maps).

A huge sprawling massive estate has appeared there in the last couple of decades and there are only two ways in and out: Via the Kinsale rounadbout and into Douglas village. And due to lack of facilities the people there are forced to get into their cars and drive in and out on a regular basis. It's a complete mess, and you can trace it right back to corrupt politics and greedy developers.

Cobh as an entire island has almost nothing but houses. Theres a few schools, granted, and one big shop. But other than that people have to drive out, putting pressure on the N25. There is the train to Cork (which is poorly integrated with the bus and is therefore not uses much) but no buses anywhere.

Cobh as an entire island has almost nothing but houses. Theres a few schools, granted, and one big shop. But other than that people have to drive out, putting pressure on the N25. There is the train to Cork (which is poorly integrated with the bus and is therefore not uses much) but no buses anywhere.

Bit harsh on Cobh are we not? it has one big supermarket, with Tesco imminent as i believe they are taking the Londis site over. Cobh has very good sports & youth facilities as well as a ridiculous number of pubs, granted it doesnt have a shopping centre, but i imagine given its population one will be built sooner or later.

RE: the Cobh Train, what annoys me with Cobh & Mallow is that there are no feeder buses to the Train stations, BE have plans for a local bus service in Ballincollig, i hope they can develop this concept further in Cobh/Mallow with a local bus service (literally just one bus route serving town centre with outlying areas/developments), this can double as a feeder bus for towns with train stations.

@ Lennoxschips & Irish and Proud, we all know the problems, suburban living and reliance on car for transportation causes the problems of congestion and urban sprawl, we all know the solutions, so why the **** do the fools in City & County Hall, Cork politicians and National government & its agencies not do something about it? because government in Ireland, personified best by those fools in Fianna Fail who have been in power for the last 10 years, is incapable of planning, delivering & maintaining policies which deliver the improvements we seek

the people get what they vote for

I really don't know what else you could have done with Grange Lennoxchips.

I mean you can't a road from the centre of it running down into the city as there was no road to meet with it full stop. Plus its incredible steep coming down that way anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The almost complete lack of any meaningful public transport in Cork City and its immediate hinterland is why the south ring is so unbelievably busy at times. It's even light years behind Dublin's public transport which is pathetic at the best of times.

If you've ever tried to use Cork's bus network you'll soon find out how ridiculously inadequate it is!!

It's also not as small a city as the official population would lead one to believe. The actual Cork urban area and its immediate hinterland nearly 300,000 people. There are plenty of people to clog up those roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭fitzgese

dunno...didnt dare open my eyes.....(its been bypassed now )

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

the people get what they vote for

+1. People keep voting for FF time and time again. They get what they deserve.

I really don't know what else you could have done with Grange Lennoxchips.

Exactly. Perhaps it wasn't a suitable place to build a massive housing estate in the first place?

Now that it's there they could improve it by building as many local amenities (schools, etc.) as possible. And perhaps a dedicated bus corridor, but that will be difficult because no room was left for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

E92 wrote: »
    +1. People keep voting for FF time and time again. They get what they deserve.

A minority (however significant) of people who voted, voted for Fianna Fáil. The argument is not relevant, even if the argument was valid that people get what they deserve for listening to politician's promises, fearmongering, exaggeration of past performance and glossing over past failures.

I've heard the same line used by ardent supporters of opposition parties, and it really annoys me despite my support for an opposition party. It shows contempt for the public, defeatism, and a self-interest in one's own bias.

Exactly. Perhaps it wasn't a suitable place to build a massive housing estate in the first place?

Now that it's there they could improve it by building as many local amenities (schools, etc.) as possible. And perhaps a dedicated bus corridor, but that will be difficult because no room was left for one.

Although, now that I think about it. There was a discussion on here last year talking about how to deal with the traffic situation in Douglas.

One suggestion was to move the SSR - Douglas sliproads more towards the Kinsale road roundabout with feeder roads running down the side. This would give the option of Douglas - SSR West and SSR - Douglas East.

Considering this junction would be on the SSR roughly where Nemo's new pitch is, would it be possible to drop a road down from Douglas to meet it ?

Another nice solution for the area would be to do a connector road between Donnybrook and the old Carrigaline road. Badly needs to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

(didnt want to start a new thread so adding this here!)

According to the TD Bernard Allen, the upgrades of the junctions on the south ring are approved and ready to go for the past 6 years!!
    What is the hold up with getting these underway?
    And what would these junction upgrades cost does anyone know?

To be fair, if the north ring was in place, then the pressure on the Tunnel and the south ring would not be as great and also less need for the junction upgrades, so maybe this is the thinking??
    “We need only look at the proposed junction upgrades on the South Ring Road at the Bandon Road and Sarsfield Road roundabouts. These schemes have cleared every planning hurdle put the plans sit gathering dust and nothing has happened.
    “The South Ring scheme oral hearing was held by An Bord Pleanála in February 2004 and the Scheme was approved in May 2004. In other words the stage we are now at with the M20 was reached on the South Ring Scheme seven years ago. Given that the Government has confirmed no new road schemes will go to construction this year, the earliest the South Ring improvements could go to construction is next year. With a two-year construction phase the improvements would be finished in 2013.
    http://corkpolitics.ie/wp/?p=4428

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

lets look at the timescale on the SRR ugrade:

2004: beginning of upgrade of Kinsale Road Roundabout, promise that the other 2 roundabouts upgrades will begin simultaneously when this project finished

2004: Martin Cullen apoointed MoT(W), ensures his pet project the M9 gets funding as part of the fast tracking of the inter urbans. Result is other projects like the SRR upgrades are put on ice as funding earmarked for Cork SRR is put towards the M8.

2006: Kinsale upgrade finished, clearance for Bandon & Sarsfield Rd. roundabouts begins.

2007: Dan Boyle made senator, as part of PFG Cork 'gets' extra Public Transport funds at expense of SRR upgrades

So to recap, gombeen and green politics mean 2 signalised roundabouts remain on the busiest road outside of Dublin region whilst every 2 bit city town gets high quality bypasses and motorways, what a joke!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

2007: Dan Boyle made senator, as part of PFG Cork 'gets' extra Public Transport funds at expense of SRR upgrades

Did these funds actually materialise even for public transport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Zoney wrote: »
    Did these funds actually materialise even for public transport?

I think the half dozen or so (down from 12 initially promised for Cork services) double deckers is the end result of that promise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement