Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts on Cork N25 South Ring upgrade?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yeah this scheme is one of the closest to ready-to-go in the country and has been for years. ALL the preparatory work is done, CPOed land mostly cleared and room for lanes already made. All test drilling is done too.

But dont expect this for at least the next 5 years, or unless it gets put on a PPP (which I've suggested to the NRA along with Dunkettle).

Perhaps Cork NRR Phase 2 (M20 to N22) should be lumped in with the SRR upgrade, N28 dualling and Dunkettle upgrade? Now THAT would be a good PPP scheme, far better than this Enniscorthy nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Yeah this scheme is one of the closest to ready-to-go in the country and has been for years. ALL the preparatory work is done, CPOed land mostly cleared and room for lanes already made. All test drilling is done too.

But dont expect this for at least the next 5 years, or unless it gets put on a PPP (which I've suggested to the NRA along with Dunkettle).

Perhaps Cork NRR Phase 2 (M20 to N22) should be lumped in with the SRR upgrade, N28 dualling and Dunkettle upgrade? Now THAT would be a good PPP scheme, far better than this Enniscorthy nonsense.

There is no way in hell that could all go ahead together that is more expensive than upgrading the M50.... Get real dude. Its not gonna happen in a lump in this especially given the current climate.

The NRR section is lucky to start with the M20, so don't be hoping to much it's unrealistic.

The Enniscorthy bypass can wait for longer, or at least some sections can get built. I think a lot of traffic will use the M9 now once that is open and it will easily knock off a few hundred cars a day going up the N11.

Kilometer wise its only about 40km worth with 3 roundabout upgrades. Would be pennies compared with the M50 or M20. I have no idea what it would all cost (Dunkettle will be eye-wateringly expensive) but it wouldnt cost as much as you think. Its 4 comparitively small schemes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Quick question - It's not SRR but N25 so thought this would be the best place to ask!

Before Christmas part of the N25 Midleton dual carriageway was resurfaced. The section (going East) started at the Cobh turnoff and finished a few hundred metres beyond Carrigtohill. Those that know the road will know that this was the "good section" which needed no work! Immediately after this section, the road descends into a rutted, poorly (dangerously) surfaced section most of the way to Midleton. Why did they resurface the section that didn't need it, but not the bad section? They seem to have subsequently filled *some* of the holes in the bad section, but surely they would have been better off just resurfacing the whole section?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

The bad section from Carrigtwohill to Midleton is supposed to be completely upgraded with grade separated junctions and parallel access roads etc.

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/CorkCountyCouncil/N25CarrigtwohillMidleton/SchemeName,16546,en.html

There's a PDF with more info, but I can't find it at the moment.

I don't know when this is supposed to go ahead though... but maybe there's no point in resurfacing the road if it's going to start soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The bad section from Carrigtwohill to Midleton is supposed to be completely upgraded with grade separated junctions and parallel access roads etc.

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/CorkCountyCouncil/N25CarrigtwohillMidleton/SchemeName,16546,en.html

There's a PDF with more info, but I can't find it at the moment.

I don't know when this is supposed to go ahead though... but maybe there's no point in resurfacing the road if it's going to start soon.

Would make sense - although I think "preliminary design" stage these days means "will never happen"!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

It should also be noted that the section was resurfaced with motorway markings (continuous yellow line for hard shoulder)

A sign of things to come?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Kilometer wise its only about 40km worth with 3 roundabout upgrades. Would be pennies compared with the M50 or M20. I have no idea what it would all cost (Dunkettle will be eye-wateringly expensive) but it wouldnt cost as much as you think. Its 4 comparitively small schemes.

Chris stop the BS please. I'm just not going to go into all detail after reading that...

You want to lump everything as one scheme. The M20 is only building a small part of the NRR. Still have massive scheme, just as the SRR upgrade. Your upgrading a DC with 3 interchanges and adding extra slips and distrubutor roads which requires land take.

Its not going to cost pennies, get real would you. If you lump the SRR +NRR and the M20 together your talking more than the whole M50. i just cant tolerate bullshiitism.

Its not going ahead in this current climate. It may in a few years. But you can't have everything one way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

mysterious wrote: »
    Still have massive scheme, just as the SRR upgrade. Your upgrading a DC with 3 interchanges and adding extra slips and distrubutor roads which requires land take.

Dunkettle notwithstanding the 2 junctions on the SRR require no land take or distributor roads. Just simple fly overs and slips. Very easy to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,942 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are the "ski ramps" not already even in place on one side of the Bandon RAB? All the land is taken already for both. It is going to cost very very little, yet again mysterious shows he doesn't actually know the junctions he's talking about at all.
    It should also be noted that the section was resurfaced with motorway markings (continuous yellow line for hard shoulder)

A sign of things to come?

Appears to be a Cork thing, I think the Ballincollig/Ovens BP has clearway hard shoulders with the associated solid yellow line too. Ditto both of these being 120km/h.

Steviemak wrote: »
    Dunkettle notwithstanding the 2 junctions on the SRR require no land take or distributor roads. Just simple fly overs and slips. Very easy to do.

Bandon road has flared junctions but Sarsfield needs more. They're also adding collector/distributor setups to the bit between them. It is bigger than it looks but isnt big by any stetch of the imagination.

http://www.corkrdo.ie/files/N25%20SOUTH%20RING%20ROAD.pdf

Advertisement