Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldiers in full on camo gear with giant rifles on Stephen Street

Options
  • 18-03-2008 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

This morning around 9:30 I was walking down Stephen Street and at the corner with the internet cafe there were a couple of soldiers dressed in green combat duds, with big 'ol guns flanking either side of the sidewalk so that you had to pass directly between them. Now, without the guns I would have felt completely fine with the space afforded, but with them I was just so nervous.

To the left farther in the street there were more soldiers with guns and what may have been an armoured car. It probably had to do with the bank, anyway.

Maybe I'm just a weird Canadian, but is that ammount of security truly necessary? Because I felt totally uncomfortable, especially walking between the two of them with 60 inches spare between barels, and although now, looking back, I should have just crossed the street, at the time I had some strange thought that it might make me look "suspicious" haha.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I was walking by their earlier and it didn't phase me in the slightest. If I was the banks I'd rather have too much security than too little, I only wish the banks would pay for the service, they have enough money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Xiney wrote: »
    This morning around 9:30 I was walking down Stephen Street and at the corner with the internet cafe there were a couple of soldiers dressed in green combat duds, with big 'ol guns flanking either side of the sidewalk so that you had to pass directly between them. Now, without the guns I would have felt completely fine with the space afforded, but with them I was just so nervous.

To the left farther in the street there were more soldiers with guns and what may have been an armoured car. It probably had to do with the bank, anyway.

Maybe I'm just a weird Canadian, but is that ammount of security truly necessary? Because I felt totally uncomfortable, especially walking between the two of them with 60 inches spare between barels, and although now, looking back, I should have just crossed the street, at the time I had some strange thought that it might make me look "suspicious" haha.

You just described what i used to do for a living in Ireland and that was back in the 70s/80s .Great memories ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I'm laughing at Xiney going round the corner and facing that! Sorry Xiney :D

It is the Irish Army protecting the banks money. Yep. :rolleyes:

I used to have to push my baby in her buggy past them, and I would think, knowing my luck now, some guys will try to take them on and we'll be stuck in the middle. So I'd be trying to walk past looking "innocent" (who doesn't feel like a potential bank robber when going past them?!) while also planning how to throw myself over my baby in case of rampant gunfire. Its not an easy look to carry off...

sueme wrote: »
    I'm laughing at Xiney going round the corner and facing that! Sorry Xiney :D

It is the Irish Army protecting the banks money. Yep. :rolleyes:

I used to have to push my baby in her buggy past them, and I would think, knowing my luck now, some guys will try to take them on and we'll be stuck in the middle. So I'd be trying to walk past looking "innocent" (who doesn't feel like a potential bank robber when going past them?!) while also planning how to throw myself over my baby in case of rampant gunfire. Its not an easy look to carry off...

My kids didnt belive i use to protect the banks money with the irish army till i showed them pics. ;)
    Just think of all those hollywood shootout scenarios sume although Dublin is not exactley down town LA (yet) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I don't even want to think about pushing a baby buggy past these guys!

Or, what if I was walking my old dog, big, stupid, exhuberant black lab who liked to say "hello" to everyone and he moved towards one to give him a kiss??

aaaargh! the stress!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

Hey weird Canadian, I'm a weird Irish man, sorry, Irish person. I go 'rabbit in headlights' mode when I see a firearm unless there's a TV screen between me and it. 2 weeks ago I saw a man holding a machine gun in Booterstown watching a post man banging on a door. What really blew my mind was the primary school kids cycling by at his knee height. Because he was very clean shaven, had no balaclava and the postman looked genuine I figured it was a garda. No other signs of security forces, nothing in the media but.... it was frickin frightening

To be fair to them, they are quite friendly (she is no longer in a buggy, and now wants to know "are we in a war?") they give her the odd smile and hello. I try to look relaxed, but as a mammy, I'm still looking for a convieniently parked vehicle so I can rugby-tackle daughter to ground and roll under it... Just a regular day as a mammy...

Latchyco, were you aware of the fear you struck to the hearts of Irish Mammys, and Canadian Dog Walkers? Tell your kids - you had the powah!

LOL sueme, quite the visual!

It reminds me of the year I lived in the projects in Montreal (well, to be fair, a couple blocks from the projects and it's not New York - though there was a drive by in February of that year! woohoo!?) and I used to walk home with my keys between my knuckles, my full nalgene water bottle to swing in my other hand , my cell phone in my pocket to call 911, and my winter boots just happened to be steel toed work boots. I used to jump at every shadow.

Latchyco, were you aware of the fear you struck to the hearts of Irish Mammys, and Canadian Dog Walkers? Tell your kids - you had the powah!

Yes but it was there sons there alongside me to (the wimmins hadn't arrived in the army back then ) and i am sure some canadian/yank tourists thought we were another army ............yeah that one ;)

I am (was ) super cool with the kids and i still have the powah :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

felt a little uneasy my self when i fisrt moved here (ireland) about 9 years ago, but pay very little attention to it now tbh

• Advertisement

Xiney wrote: »
    I used to walk home with my keys between my knuckles, my full nalgene water bottle to swing in my other hand , my cell phone in my pocket to call 911, and my winter boots just happened to be steel toed work boots. I used to jump at every shadow.

I used to do the same in London, just to get home... nightmare way to live.
    At least we have the army on our streets to protect us...Oh no wait its the banks they are protecting.

Although I have no idea what a "nalgene" is, its sounds hard, so good on ya!

latchyco wrote: »
    I am (was ) super cool with the kids and i still have the powah :D

Yeah, but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, would you have saved me and my girl, or the money?! What was your brief? Robbers V Guilty looking civilians? Harrassed looking Irish Mammy checking out all vehicles V Businessman with potential AK47 in briefcase? We JUST DON'T KNOW! :D

Don't worry, you can tell us here, its very private. Yup. :)

Living there is pretty much the only thing in my life I wish I could "do over".

My apartment was one of a triplex (basement, ground floor, second floor apartments in a house) and I found out after I left that one of the landlord's relatives that lived with her in the top apartment and started renting my room in our place after I left, was a crack dealer and everything got busted in by the cops one day.

Crazyness. But even with all that crime, never saw a member of the Canadian Armed Forces actually armed on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

latchyco - love the name - my grandfather used to call me that all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I can't remember a time when the army didn't accompany money transfers. i would barely notice them. It was never as intimidating as the border crossings. By the end Swad was mad. Concrete blocks you had to slalom around, steel curtain walls, watch tower, cameras and about 20 soldiers in full camo, some with camo facepaint. Sitting in a car with a dozen assault rifles pointed at it was a bit scary. I suppose the army providing free security to the banks is just a throwback to that time that the banks are keen to hang on to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I've lived here all my life but I've never really gotten used to them. You always do try to look innocent but you're nervous at the same time so you think you must look shifty! :D I wonder what they think of random people walking by with their heads down and hands in their pockets looking nervous as hell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What would you prefer? Trained army guys with guns or the police? Or even worse, armed private security firms? Or no protection whatsoever? In which case, there'd be a hell of a lot more armed gangs raiding the place... The army seems to be the lesser evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It's the whole "walking through airport security" scenario..

Even though you have no firearms or explosive material on your person (and no tendancies towards terrorism) - you can't help but feel instantly un-easy and nervous.

Do you equally get nervous when the ticket inspector gets on the train, even though you have a ticket?

For some reason, the expression "Shower of Wusses" comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

They always frighten the bejaysus out of me.
    I keep thinking what if their finger slips and I'm in the way???!

• Advertisement

Do you equally get nervous when the ticket inspector gets on the train, even though you have a ticket?

Grrr! You're not worth getting a warning for!

takola wrote: »
    Grrr! You're not worth getting a warning for!

Mind ya don't fall off that fence. Remember what happened Humpty Dumptey?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Don't think anyone said that!
    Hope you never run into "bubba" in an airport who wants you to meet his friend the Glove!:D

Yeah, but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, would you have saved me and my girl, or the money?! What was your brief? Robbers V Guilty looking civilians? Harrassed looking Irish Mammy checking out all vehicles V Businessman with potential AK47 in briefcase? We JUST DON'T KNOW! :D

Don't worry, you can tell us here, its very private. Yup. :)

I would have being doing a Ronan o Gara rugby dive to save you and your child .Not in my brief but the body armour would have deflected any slugs ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

They tend to be quite cool as well. Hubby walked through a crowd of them and made a joke and they all laughed away and joined in.

Funny how it doesn't matter where you are, keys between the knuckles come in handy.

latchyco wrote: »
    I would have being doing a Ronan o Gara rugby dive to save you and your child .Not in my brief but the body armour would have deflected any slugs ;)

Good. Thats good. Thanks in advance. :D

If anyone sees me sauntering past them now, I will have my virtual army Latchyco friend to protect me, so I will be grand. The rest of you are on your own...

They tend to be quite cool as well. Hubby walked through a crowd of them and made a joke and they all laughed away and joined in.

Funny how it doesn't matter where you are, keys between the knuckles come in handy.

Thugs are terrified by keys... "Oh no, not the keys --- agggh! They're HOUSE KEYS... RUN! "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Thugs are terrified by keys... "Oh no, not the keys --- agggh! They're HOUSE KEYS... RUN! "

:D See, it worked!

If anyone sees me sauntering past them now, I will have my virtual army Latchyco friend to protect me, so I will be grand. The rest of you are on your own...

He has to protect me too! :eek: Latchy you know you have to! :p

Star I'm going to report your post if you don't stop. You're trolling. There's no need for it!

• Advertisement

The good news is that the first months protection is free ....;)
    takola wrote: »
    He has to protect me too! :eek: Latchy you know you have to! :p
    QUOTE]

Of course takola , just join the Q there cheque at the ready with refund if not satisfied :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement