Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldiers in full on camo gear with giant rifles on Stephen Street

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

:D See, it worked!

Try robbing a Securicor truck with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Back on topic please!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

latchyco wrote: »
    Of course takola , just join the Q there cheque at the ready with refund if not satisfied :D

Meaning I'll be dead from a bullet wound if I'm not satisfied! :D

In fairness though, you have to admit.. There is a bit of a power trip there, isn't there? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

What would you prefer? Trained army guys with guns or the police? Or even worse, armed private security firms? Or no protection whatsoever? In which case, there'd be a hell of a lot more armed gangs raiding the place... The army seems to be the lesser evil.

Well, to answer your question, I don't like seeing military personel at all. It's a personal bias, but I don't like soldiers. They scare the crap out of me. And as various scandals (Canada in Somalia, US in Abu Ghraib Prison) have prooved, military training does not a good person holding a gun make.

In Canada, the police are armed but the guns are holstered. We have one major private security firm, which is armed with automatic machine guns. However, you don't *see* the guns, you just know there's a guy in the truck who'll shoot you down if you try to knock over the car. But the show of force isn't outright, and they don't have a dozen men for one armoured vehicle. It's ARMOURED. It doesn't need that many people...

I think my main issue was in seeing the large automatic guns, up close. I know different countries have different ways of doing things, but like Magnumlady said, I just kept thinking, "what if his finger slips?" even though I know that his finger is probably not even on the trigger if he's following every police proceedure I know of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

takola wrote: »
    Meaning I'll be dead from a bullet wound if I'm not satisfied! :D

It wont matter then ;)
    In fairness though, you have to admit.. There is a bit of a power trip there, isn't there? :p

Asolutley ,it's all about power .The power of a wepon which you only get it in the army or some police forces (unless your a criminal ) :eek:

• Advertisement

Thugs are terrified by keys... "Oh no, not the keys --- agggh! They're HOUSE KEYS... RUN! "

I used to have it all planned out:

house key punch into the eye
    swing giant heavy water bottle into the temple
    kick steel toe into crotch
    if he's not unconcious or on the ground yet, a few steel toed kicks in the kidneys and run away as fast as possible while calling 911!

Xiney wrote: »
    I think my main issue was in seeing the large automatic guns, up close. I know different countries have different ways of doing things, but like Magnumlady said, I just kept thinking, "what if his finger slips?" even though I know that his finger is probably not even on the trigger if he's following every police proceedure I know of.

His wepon will not be cocked and he will have his safety catch on .The soldier will only cock his wepon and undue safety catch if he is giving order to so or feels he and his comrades are in harms way (civillians duck for cover )

Well, to answer your question, I don't like seeing military personel at all. It's a personal bias, but I don't like soldiers. They scare the crap out of me. And as various scandals (Canada in Somalia, US in Abu Ghraib Prison) have prooved, military training does not a good person holding a gun make.

In Canada, the police are armed but the guns are holstered. We have one major private security firm, which is armed with automatic machine guns. However, you don't *see* the guns, you just know there's a guy in the truck who'll shoot you down if you try to knock over the car. But the show of force isn't outright, and they don't have a dozen men for one armoured vehicle. It's ARMOURED. It doesn't need that many people...

Yeah it must have been very scary for you if you aren't used to seeing it. I'm sure they're very careful and they have some sort of safety on it to be sure if they trip and fall or they're fingers slip the gun isn't just going to go off.

I see your point though! But if you look at last year there was a couple of bank robberys in other countys and they had one securicor (sp?) van robbed or hijacked too if I remember correctly. I guess they're taking that into consideration too.

It's always been that way. I remember passing them as a letter girl with my mam.

if he's not unconcious or on the ground yet, a few steel toed kicks in the kidneys and run away as fast as possible while calling 911!
    You won't get much of a response by dialing '911' over here Xiney! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Maybe I'm just a weird Canadian, but is that ammount of security truly necessary?

Yes, only last week in Lucan a CIT (cash-in-transit) van was robbed and shots fired by the robbers in a supermarket car park. Do you think those boys would have tried that if they saw a load of squaddies with Steyr AUG A1 rifles? I don't!
    walking between the two of them with 60 inches spare between barels,

You do know 60 inches = 5 whole feet, right? :D
    magnumlady wrote: »
    They always frighten the bejaysus out of me.
    I keep thinking what if their finger slips and I'm in the way???!
    That's what safety catches and trigger guards are for, to prevent that type of accident.
    But the show of force isn't outright, and they don't have a dozen men for one armoured vehicle. It's ARMOURED. It doesn't need that many people...
    Wow, it's armoured! The poor lads driving it still have to get out of the van with the cash in the casette boxes and his little helmet and stab-vest won't be much protection against a pistol or shotgun!

Even being in the van is no gaurantee of protection. Years ago a security van driver was in his van when it was held up, the guys holding up the van knew who he was and told him where his sister went to school. He then told him that his sister had just left the house and was on her way to school and if he didn't open the van his sister would be taken. Needless to say, he opened the van and was told that if he testified in court his family would be 'taken care of'. He didn't testify and got five years in prison for his trouble. Again, having the Army there would have prevented that.
    That's just an irrational fear really. The safety will be on, the trigger guard protects against slippy fingers and even at that, there will never be a round sitting in the barrel ready to go. On top of that there are known procedures that are drilled into these guys heads that mean they cannot open fire without a very clear cause.
    His wepon will not be cocked and he will have his safety catch on .The soldier will only cock his wepon and undue safety catch if he is giving order to so or feels he and his comrades are in harms way (civillians duck for cover )

Exactly.

Finally, our little island had its fair share of trouble over the years and vans carrying money were very tempting for those looking to buy weapons for 'the cause'. Having the army protect these vans became necessary. These days, not a week goes by without at least one attempt on a van somewhere in the country, most thieves wait until the driver has left the van. Some routes carry a lot more money than others and these would naturally be big targets, hence the extra proteciton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Yes, only last week in Lucan a CIT (cash-in-transit) van was robbed and shots fired by the robbers in a supermarket car park. Do you think those boys would have tried that if they saw a load of squaddies with Steyr AUG A1 rifles? I don't!

You do know 60 inches = 5 whole feet, right? :D

That's what safety catches and trigger guards are for, to prevent that type of accident.

Wow, it's armoured! The poor lads driving it still have to get out of the van with the cash in the casette boxes and his little helmet and stab-vest won't be much protection against a pistol or shotgun!

Even being in the van is no gaurantee of protection. Years ago a security van driver was in his van when it was held up, the guys holding up the van knew who he was and told him where his sister went to school. He then told him that his sister had just left the house and was on her way to school and if he didn't open the van his sister would be taken. Needless to say, he opened the van and was told that if he testified in court his family would be 'taken care of'. He didn't testify and got five years in prison for his trouble. Again, having the Army there would have prevented that.

That's just an irrational fear really. The safety will be on, the trigger guard protects against slippy fingers and even at that, there will never be a round sitting in the barrel ready to go. On top of that there are known procedures that are drilled into these guys heads that mean they cannot open fire without a very clear cause.

Exactly.

Finally, our little island had its fair share of trouble over the years and vans carrying money were very tempting for those looking to buy weapons for 'the cause'. Having the army protect these vans became necessary. These days, not a week goes by without at least one attempt on a van somewhere in the country, most thieves wait until the driver has left the van. Some routes carry a lot more money than others and these would naturally be big targets, hence the extra proteciton.

I'm more nervous about them now. :( Thanks for that!

basquille wrote: »
    You won't get much of a response by dialing '911' over here Xiney! ;)

I know it's 999 here :D Good thing too, based on the number of times I've needed to know that here :-\ (And I don't have my steel toe boots anymore... so Ireland's criminals are in no danger of having their breeding capabilities revoked by me)
    r3nu4l wrote: »
    That's just an irrational fear really.

I'm aware of the fact that it's irrational... doesn't change the fact though.

I know it's 999 here :D

Is it not 112 or something like that now?

Is it not 112 or something like that now?

If it is, 999 works too.

If it is, 999 works too.

I'd be great in an emergency wouldn't I? :D :rolleyes:

Do you think crime is worse here than in Canada?

sueme wrote: »
    I'm more nervous about them now. :( Thanks for that!

Ooookaaay! You're welcome :D

You have to remember that these squaddies are trained to take and react to orders, part of their orders include a 'no firing on civilians unless they are armed, making a direct threat to you, your comrades or the security van staff,' clause.

If those soldiers witness two guys beating the crap out of each other on the street in front of them they have no right to interfere unless they feel those people are a threat to the van and it's contents. :)

If that doesn't help or makes it worse for you I'll shut up :)

Dial 999 in the uk and this is what your likley to hear

' Hello is that the police ? '

Thank you for calling 999.Our business hrs are nine to five ,monday to friday .If you've being stabbed to death ,press 1 and leave a message .
    If your ringing to report a lorry load of of illegal immigrants tipping out at the end of your street ,please call back after the bank holiday and give three weeks notice .
    If you are an illegal immigrant and would like to apply for asylum ,legal aid ,health care ,cash benifits ,a council house and a free ID card ,please stay on the line .Our operators are awaiting to take your call 24/7. Pree 3 and ask for Jacqui
    :D

I'd be great in an emergency wouldn't I? :D :rolleyes:

Do you think crime is worse here than in Canada?

I think answering that question in full would take this thread very far from it's original topic, so I won't do that.

However, I will say that it's not an easy answer. Both countries have problems. But they are different countries, with different problems, and different approaches to problem solving, and different areas of success and failure.

So it will never be a question of, is crime worse in one place or another, but rather a question of, how safe does one feel? Do people believe that the social problems that cause crime are being dealt with in an effective way, and is that belief backed up by statistics and progress? Etc.

Without further ado, we can go back to calling me an irrational ninny now :)

Dial 999 in the uk and this is what your likley to hear

' Hello is that the police ? '

Thank you for calling 999.Our business hrs are nine to five ,monday to friday .If you've being stabbed to death ,press 1 and leave a message .
    If your ringing to report a lorry load of of illegal immigrants tipping out at the end of your street ,please call back after the bank holiday and give three weeks notice .
    If you are an illegal immigrant and would like to apply for asylum ,legal aid ,health care ,cash benifits ,a council house and a free ID card ,please stay on the line .Our operators are awaiting to take your call 24/7. Pree 3 and ask for Jacqui
    :D

Now my Virtual Soldier Protector has "Issues"... I'm doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

I always thought that the army was there to protect the guards and the guards were there to protect the money:confused:

• Advertisement

The difference here is that the Irish military are trained purely as peace-keeping forces & Ireland remains neutral - we are not even part of NATO (whose list of interventions hardly reads as a glorious history: Vietnam, Algeria, Suez, Bosnia, Iraq, and Kosovo.)

You cannot compare military training in the States & Canada to that of Ireland. It's like comparing how Man Utd train to how Sligo Rovers train. It's not just a different league - they're worlds apart.

And if ya don't get the football references, it's like attacking an armoured van with a set of keys instead of an automatic machine gun.

And if ya don't get the football references, it's like attacking an armoured van with a set of keys instead of an automatic machine gun.
    Well if those keys are the keys to that van then that's a better way to attack thank with a machine gun :p

It's true the Irish army are mainly a peacekeeping defence force but don't underestimate how good they are! Remember, a lot of the best martial artists advocate peace over violence but when they do get violent they sure can kick ass!! ;)

The difference here is that the Irish military are trained purely as peace-keeping forces & Ireland remains neutral - we are not even part of NATO (whose list of interventions hardly reads as a glorious history: Vietnam, Algeria, Suez, Bosnia, Iraq, and Kosovo.)

You cannot compare military training in the States & Canada to that of Ireland. It's like comparing how Man Utd train to how Sligo Rovers train. It's not just a different league - they're worlds apart.

Canada is actually pretty comprable to Ireland in terms of military, certainly closer to Ireland than it is to the States. Canadian soldiers are mainly peace keepers, although they are currently on combat missions in Afghanistan.

Canada is actually pretty comprable to Ireland in terms of military, certainly closer to Ireland than it is to the States. Canadian soldiers are mainly peace keepers, although they are currently on combat missions in Afghanistan.

The Command-in-Chief of the Canadian forces is the Queen of England & Canada is a member of NATO.. there is NO comparison here.

The Command-in-Chief of the Canadian forces is the Queen of England & Canada is a member of NATO.. there is NO comparison here.

Yeah, true... she's a bit of a battle axe.

Thing is, she doesn't tell us when to go to war, we pretty much decide that for ourselves ever since WWI.

Anyway. NATO is also pretty much a peace keeping force. They're not in Iraq, for example... the only major forces there are the US and Britain. Canada's not there.

k, we're off topic again :(

Yeah, true... she's a bit of a battle axe.

Thing is, she doesn't tell us when to go to war, we pretty much decide that for ourselves ever since WWI.

Anyway. NATO is also pretty much a peace keeping force. They're not in Iraq, for example... the only major forces there are the US and Britain. Canada's not there.

k, we're off topic again :(

She doesn't tell the Brits whether or not to go to war, but like Canada, she has the final say in whether or not they do. The fact that she never says "no" is irrelevant.

And if you believe that NATO are primarily a peace keeping force, you really know nothing about the organisation. (Not trying to be smart here - they are even at present, in Iraq, on "training missions").

Can't we have one thread without going off on a tangent?! :mad:

Back on topic!

And if you believe that NATO are primarily a peace keeping force, you really know nothing about the organisation. (Not trying to be smart here)

O rly?

She doesn't tell the Brits whether or not to go to war, but like Canada, she has the final say in whether or not they do. The fact that she never says "no" is irrelevant.

And if you believe that NATO are primarily a peace keeping force, you really know nothing about the organisation. (Not trying to be smart here)

I think part of my problem with seeing military presence on the streets of Sligo is in fact my admitted ignorance of military issues. I wouldn't be able to recall NATO being involved in anything non-peacekeeping related in recent years, because I'm just not that interested in military stuff.

Disinterest leads to ignorance leads to fear.

Still. I'm glad what I'm afraid of due to ignorance is a bunch of guys with guns....

• Advertisement

sueme wrote: »
    O rly?

Yes really - I'm not the one making unqualified statements and ridiculous comparisons (unless you count the key remark).

Anyhow - you gotta love the title of this thread .. "Soldiers in full camo gear with giant rifles on Stephen Street".... How big is a GIANT rifle? 6 foot?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement