Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Question

Options
  • 19-03-2008 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

Hi all, i have my thoery test at the end of this month. I dont plan to actually own a car until early summer, but i will be learning how to drive in the mean time in a friends car which is why i wanted the licence.

When I get my car I don't want to have to have a Full licence driver with me at all timmes because thats just plain annoying, so i intend to get my full licence as soon as possible once i am fully able to drive and buy a car.

So my question is, when i buy my car and get a premium for being a provisional driver, is there anything i can do about making it less once i get a full licence? its not that fair that i could only be a provisional licence holder for the first month of the years worth of insurance... im a little confused about it all really...

i also wanted to ask, is there a length of time you have to wait before you can apply for a full licence? i heard somehwere it was 6 months but i haven't seen it written down anywhere.

hope someone can help with my q's
    thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Steoob wrote: »
    When I get my car I don't want to have to have a Full licence driver with me at all timmes because thats just plain annoying
    Paying income tax is annoying. I think I won't bother! :rolleyes:

You don't state your age or sex but from reading your post it would appear that you are a young male. If so, you are statistically at the greatest risk of getting killed on the roads. Get some proper instruction. Don't rely on a friend unless he/she is a driving instructor.
    So my question is, when i buy my car and get a premium for being a provisional driver
    Learner Permit holder!
    i also wanted to ask, is there a length of time you have to wait before you can apply for a full licence? i heard somehwere it was 6 months
    You may apply for a test anytime. However, if you are on a 1st Learner Permit, you must have held it for at least 6 months prior to taking the test.
    but i haven't seen it written down anywhere.
    It's all in the RSA website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Thank you for a very unhelpful, condescending answer. Regarding your income tax comment, I meant that I didn't want to have a Full licence driver with me, even tho I'm perfectly happy to uphold that law. I simply stated that I wanted to get a full licence as soon as I could so that I didn't have to plague someone with a full licence to drive with me all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mrs munch 2000

Steoob - once you pass your test you should call your insurance company and tell them, they should then give you a refund - I know my OH got a nice refund a couple of years ago (tho' I can't remember the sum or company involved.)
    It might be worth asking companies when you are looking for quotes how much they will refund you on passing your test...?

Advertisement