Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal training

Options
  • 19-03-2008 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

just out of complete interest i was wondering does everyone think personal training is still a luxury or feel that it has now become more mainstream here in galway?
    Also do people still not realise what a pt (personal trainer) does and are they approachable???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

It all depends do you mean personal Trainer outside of a Gym ?
    Like having one on one sessions in parks etc...
    I'd say if it's outside the Gym it is still Viewed as a very expensive way to Train. But it could be of Benefit to those who hate the Gym Lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Good for the unmotivated and the uneducated.

Good for High level athletes

Some PT's are seriously uneducated and inexperienced though. When a 3 month course can get you the qualification, a lot of them stop learning right there and still spout the same crap about toning muscle etc

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭BJohnson

I refer patients to David Gallagher, who works out of the Radisson fitness centre. He knows his stuff and he's very approachable.

Check out his website:

http://davidgallagher.ie/

Hope that helps!

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

do most gyms have personal trainers you can get to work with?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

If I ever decided to go to the gym I suppose I would use a personal trainer and wouldn't view it as a luxury. Of course I highly doubt I will ever decide to go to the gym because I'm lazy! (Which is why I'd need the personal trainer!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

janeybabe wrote: »
    If I ever decided to go to the gym I suppose I would use a personal trainer and wouldn't view it as a luxury. Of course I highly doubt I will ever decide to go to the gym because I'm lazy! (Which is why I'd need the personal trainer!)

That pretty much sums up my situation too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

the hardest part for people it seems is the first step, 90% of people after taking the first step really seem to enjoy it and become even addicted!!! the summer is aproaching so people wil try and step up there fitness to get the beach body!

PS Very good point by MattKid, there are very few decent personal trainers, especially in Galway, so choose wisely! Do not be afraid to put them to test!!!
    :)

janeybabe wrote: »

It's amazing how quickly you can get addicted to the endorphins rushing round your body from a decent work out, that coupled with seeing small changes in shape happening quickly (at the start at least) often gives enough motivation to keep going.

It's just the 1st couple weeks whilst you get used to the aches etc that is the hard part.

MattKid wrote: »
    It's just the 1st couple weeks whilst you get used to the aches etc that is the hard part.

Yes, I think as regards personal training, I see it as I bit of a luxury. But not in the way you might reckon I think so.

For someone who is a pro-athlete or indeed any kind of sportsperson, amateur or otherwise, I wouldn't see having a personal trainer as a luxury. One outside of the gym environment on a one-to-one basis, would be in the realm of the elite athlete though, in fairness.

But for example, someone who's only real goal is to either lose weight or simply become fitter by beginning a regular excersice routine would really benefit from a personal trainer in the gym enviroment, in my opinion.

As Mattkid said - "It's just the 1st couple weeks whilst you get used to the aches etc that is the hard part."... and for someone to just join a gym and start excersicing, perhaps setting their own targets or goals, is far from an ideal situation.

Not that I would know to be honest, but I would imagine that personal trainers with any experience at all will know what sort of goals are achieveable, from one person to the next. They can then monitor your progress, making any necessary changes and give encouragement along the way.

I joined a gym years ago when I was in GMIT. I was given instruction as to how to operate all the equipment, but beyond that, there was little or no guidance on offer as to how to structure workouts or make long-term plans. In fairness to them, I could have asked but they didn't seem too approachable at the time. (Bear in mind that this was years ago and that it is highly unlikely the same people are there now.)

Personally, I would describe myself as extremely lazy. Perhaps "unfocused" is word but...

I know for a fact that if I were to join a gym in the morning, the following would happen. Without someone to instruct me on what I should be aiming for and to give the occasional kick up the arse, I would not be able to reach the point where you are on the brink of making the gym part of your routine.

When I say routine, I'm refering more to, the ability to think of the gym as part of your lifestyle, and not as a chore or a nuisance.

I managed to get quite fit (in relation to how I was before that, not in relation to people in general!) a couple of years ago. I did this over a very short period of time. 20 days in fact. I can't say how, as it would blow my cover, but it was outside of my usual work/home environment, so the good habits I got from the intensive 20 or so days never transfered to my daily routine, resulting now in my being much worse off than I was in the first place.

Rant over for now, amn't I great for turning this thread into one all about me all of a sudden:D

MattKid wrote: »
    Good for the unmotivated and the uneducated.

What did you call me?:D

• Advertisement

d-gal wrote: »
    the hardest part for people it seems is the first step,

True
    90% of people after taking the first step really seem to enjoy it and become even addicted!!!

I'm in the 10% and addiction is unlikely...
    the summer is aproaching so people wil try and step up there fitness to get the beach body!

Summer 2020???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

A personal trainer would just be a professional nagger for normal people.

Sherifu wrote: »
    A personal trainer would just be a professional nagger for normal people.

Jesus I know someone who did that for me for free for 17 years...

professional nagger...true i suppose to the average personal trainer, unfortunately so many pt's are very average and dont kow how to motivate in other ways! ;)

dont kow how to motivate in other ways! ;)

How do you motivate your clients in other ways?

Just out of curiousity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

How do you motivate your clients in other ways?

Just out of curiousity

Goal setting, positive reinforcement......nope thats all I got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

I had one for 6 months, and found it very useful. He was quite good and pretty experienced though. Useful mainly as all my strength training had been with weight machines, and he taught me a lot of free weight and body weight exercises that I switched to. I'd say having someone couch you for proper posture and technique is pretty important at the outset for those sorts of exercises.

there are loads different ways, targets, other people looks, training with a partner, criticising, positive reinforcement etc.

ever think of having a pt again tristanc? who did u have?

there are loads different ways, targets, other people looks, training with a partner, criticising, positive reinforcement etc.

Personally, I think that in tandem with having a personal trainer to give occasional guidance and encouagement, having a partner to train with who has similar goals would be a great way to help motivate yourself and keep focused.

I get my motivation from the mirror and my body facist nature:D

Says he that hasn't been to the gym in 3 weeks (I've been ill honest)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭corribdude

Cant see why anyone other than a professional athlete would want or need a personal trainer. If you haven't a clue about exercise browse the net for half an hour and you'll have more than enough info.

Getting advice from the internet can be a dodgy thing to do. You don't know who has written the stuff or if they are qualified and experienced enough to provide advice...

ever think of having a pt again tristanc? who did u have?

He wasn't in Galway.

I might get a PT again for a bit if I felt like I wanted to learn some more exercises. He was very useful to me as an "Introduction to Weight Lifting", but I didn't really need him as a motivational factor (I actually found having someone watching me a bit de-motivating). I couldn't see having one indefinitely, but I think that can work well for some people. My mother, for instance, has been going to a PT for a while now, and she's worked very well for her.

Like two years ago, a friend threw his back out just moving a crate. Not that old mind you - 28 then maybe - and a good bit more active than me.

Until then, I had a "I bike/hike/stay active/etc, I'm fit enough" mentality. That was my I'm-getting-old wake-up call, and I went and got a personal trainer - to both learn more weight training (which I'd never really done besides some machines at that point) and get general guidance on good maintenance exercise.

I'm being given my own wake-up call presently.

I get back pains fairly regularly, due to a completely lack of excersice.

I wouldn't mind but when I used to excersice a lot, I really liked it, but for one reason or another it stopped completely and now I'm 2-3 stone heavier than I was then. Considering at the time that I was losing weight, to try and get down to a healthier weight, I can't really afford to stay at the weight that I am. I know that if it doesn't get bette, it will get progressively worse over time. Giving me all sort of health issues in the future.

I actually enjoy lifting, except for lunges, which I loathe. Aerobic exercise I'm less fond of.

I'm about normal weight, and my mate who threw his back out was extremely thin. Walking and biking were great aerobic exercises, but don't do much for strength above the waist. And, in my case, 10 years of IT jobs and video games didn't really help on back/upper body strength either.

Unfortunately too many people think browsing the internet is the answer, the lads that demostrate on the net don't go through the technique in detail and this is what causes many people to injur themselves or just not benefit. and even if they do demonstrate u will probably forget about it once u get into the gym. Getting shown something face to face is completely different.

Advertisement